Jordan of the Islands

Paper towel is pretty soaked…

And you can see the condensation in the container…yes they are getting heatz

Been using this method with success for 20yrs…

They look like they’re swelling so we’ll check tomorrow

4 Likes

Weird man. Not even a tail. :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

I paper towel too but I don’t keep it that soaked anymore. I can see it being a possible issue due to lack of oxygen or some other nasty guests. I’d recommend next time trying to pretty much squeeze most of the moisture out of the paper towel. Even if you use all your force there still will be enough moisture to germ the seeds. IME heat+too much moisture isn’t necessarily a good thing. I’ve ruined more seeds using a heat mat than not (likely damping off or some kind of fungus).

and an excerpt from “Just add water? Weird ways plants germinate - Curious
Oxygen

Seeds need oxygen so that they can produce energy for germination and growth.

The embryo gets energy by breaking down its food stores. Like all organisms, this is done through a process known as aerobic respiration —a series of reactions where energy is released from glucose, using oxygen. During aerobic respiration:

glucose and oxygen are used up
carbon dioxide and water are produced as waste, and energy is released.
5 Likes

I never had a chance to grow sensi star, I bought one bag of it. It was an awesome one time score at the time, 1/8 each of 5 strains that had names. I still remember that one bag lol.

2 Likes

The heat sitting on top of the back of the fridge is plenty.
I soak my paper towels and pour off the excess and I also put them between two salad plates like you stack them in your cabinets then into a gallon zip lock so smothering or lack of air has no bearing whatsoever.
And I use papertowels what they say about using papertowels being contaminated is all bullshit.
Been doing it this way for over forty years without a hitch in the giddyup.

8 Likes

Definitely not your method holding them back. I usually use moist paper towels too (all white - no dyes), and I used to put them in plastic containers exactly like you do. But now I put the moist paper towels in a ziplock bag, and place that in a Priority Express Mail envelope (about 9x12), and I hang that up in a warm place. The envelope keeps the beans in the dark, and hanging it up ensures the taproot heads straight down, which makes them easier to transplant.

5 Likes

Try using “The Sharpie Method” in case the beans are tough and have thick shells.
This is how I do it. So first and foremost, you have to be INCREDIBLY gentle. This is more of a feel/finesse type of technique. Frist, grab yourself a sharpie…

See that little divot on the back? That’s going to be your “seed holder”. Next, you want to place your seed with the ridge of the seed UP.

See how the part of the seed closest to you (figuratively) has a more pronounced ridge whereas the back side is more rounded? The ridge is what you want facing up when you put the seed into the divot.

Put your bean in the divot, and orientate it correctly.

Place your fingers on the bean and GENTLY press down until you hear it or feel it pop. It will 9/10 give an audible pop so you know it’s open.

That is more or less how I do it and it seems to work 90% of the time on tough beans. Give it a shot, but be gentle if you fuck up this method then there is no going back. I usually use this as a last resort when the towel method has failed and I need to go to more drastic measures to ensure the beans will pop. Let us know how it turns out!

• BD
13 Likes

Go out and by a cheap micrometer like at harbor freight.
Dollar two ninety nine

6 Likes

Did you pre soak in shot glass as part of your tecknik ? @Hydro-420

1 Like

Nope never have

2 Likes

Wow that’s science might try that I hate fuckin with curly taps

5 Likes

Haven’t tried that but might some day if I’m about to give up on one.
I drop mine in a shot glass of water. If after 2 days there is no tail I then put it in a wet paper towel in a baggie and put it on some heat.
So far the last 3 or 4 runs I haven’t had to go further than that. Just dropped 8 beans 2 nights ago and they have all cracked. Planted 2 today that had the right length tail and hope the rest might be ready tomorrow. Put em in rock wool and use a kabob skewer to make a hole just the length of the seed and tail and place it so the top of the seed is at the top of the rickwool then place a small piece of flat rockwool over it just so it thinks it has to break the surface. Placing them too deep risks them not being able to sprout as they don’t have the strength. I’d say it works 99% of the time👍

2 Likes

not sure if this is really the place to ask, but if anyone has JOTI’s “God Bud” I’d be willing to trade for them. PM me if you’re up for a trade.

1 Like

Update

Look like 5 of the 10 have tails

9 Likes

The roots know which way to go the curls don’t contribute to a make or break situation.

1 Like

Over 4 days and that’s all ya got, not good.

2 Likes

From my experience, it’s much easier to plant a sprouted seed with a straight taproot into a peat pellet or rockwool than it is to plant a seed with a curled taproot.

3 Likes

Dropped the other 10

Still have the 5 in there from the last drop

3 Likes

I recently crossed JOTI’s Black Candyland with my GSC. I just harvested the seeds this past week and was letting them dry out before I sent them out to testers. I thought I’d try to pop a few on the 18th of March (not quite 72 hours ago). I tossed all 3 in the same peat pellet without any preparation of any sort. I just grabbed them from the pile and put them in the peat pellet. This photo was just taken a few minutes ago:

So as you can see, 2 of them are well on their way. In fact, they were growing above the pellet in less than 48 hours. The 3rd one, circled in yellow, was actually pushing above the soil last night, but I didn’t look very closely at it until just now. When I did, I used a plastic toothpick to pull back the peat to see what was going on. Turns out, it was the damn taproot that was pushing out of the soil, and looked like it was already starting to dry out. So I intervened, pulled open a larger hole and replanted it with the root down. We’ll see if it makes it, but there are 2 things this shows: A vigorous seed can become a baby plant in less than 2 days - and a taproot doesn’t always know which way to go.

11 Likes

I dont use those contraptions.
Depends what you use for starting and medium.
Won’t waste my pennies on them