Jungle Spice #6 Community IBL Project

That sounds like a good match from what I’ve been reading about JS. Crap, there could be some gold in any of those. Especially as breeders. Have fun! ,

4 Likes

What’s the back left plant in the 2nd pic? Is it also #6?

2 Likes

No, only 7 of the 10 in that photo are JS. That lanky sativa in the back is cannabiogen Durban.

3 Likes

Pollination day

Well this was pretty wild… Some things in the male tent changed quite a bit. @8k_feet and I did some extensive stem rubs. We found some really strong smelling phenos that those of us in the Jungle Spice game refer to as “that HG4 smell”.

HG4 is a cross I made a couple years ago (Bodhi Acapulco Gold x Tenderheart) x Jungle Spice. “That HG4 smell” is a bubblegummy, piney smell that is very distinctive, has desirable effects and is easy to recognize. The HG4 high is very clear, uplifting, focused and euphoric.

Interestingly, “that HG4 smell” is nowhere to be found in F1 Jungle Spice (at least to my knowledge). I was quite surprised that a few males and several females had it. We looked over all the females as well, and the whole gamut is present. Lanky, squatty, skinny leaves, hybrid leaves, frost crawling down fan leaves of some phenos and ones that look like they’ll be big producers and others that look like they’re headed toward more airy buds. Didn’t get any pictures this week. Next week we should have some nice bud development and I’ll probably do a quick 2nd round of pollen on them and get pictures.

Interesting stuff

The males we selected were #3, 4 and 12. You can see some of the early traits in the chart I posted above. #3 and 4 were males with “that HG4 smell”… like strong and in your face. #12 had a smell more characteristic of F1 Jungle Spice.

Male #7 was frosty, but internodes were too stretched. It was fruity smelling and @8k_feet noted that it smelled like grapes. #13 was the oddball… I wanted to use it, but the stem rub just didn’t do enough for me. #2 was more bland than the rest.

Male #3 - that HG4 smell, good structure and LATE to really start dropping pollen
Male #4 - that HG4 smell, best structure, resin male, possible intersex traits (pretty sure there were a few pistils)
Male #12 - classic JS stem smell (piney, fresh)

Male no. 4

So #4 is a little dicey, but we decided to use it because it could really payoff.

Good resin on that dude. But this scares me a wee bit.

Not too bad though… I’m willing to give it a shot.

Male no. 3

Looks pretty stable. Smells great, will be a good backup if I run into herm problems with #4. Really surprised, but this one had a ton of smell, which it definitely didn’t have early on.

Male no. 12

Best of the non-“that HG4 smell” phenos.

Was hoping to narrow things down more, but I couldn’t pass up the #4 and I didn’t want all my eggs in one basket either. We’ll see how it goes when I grow the F3s. Always an adventure.

11 Likes

Can anyone confirm if those are pistils? We think the males might have just been stressed because @lefthandseeds kicks the shit out of them and could have intersex traits because of that…

6 Likes

This from DJ short:

The female plants need to be checked for hermaphroditism until harvest. (A quick word on “backward” hermaphrodites ? declared males that eventually sport female flowers ? as opposed to the usual female-to-male hermaphrodites. These are semi-rare occurrences, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I have found at times to be valuable in their genetic contributions. Some of the most resinous and desirable males I have encountered exhibited this trait. This trait almost seems to guarantee against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female to male ratio in its progeny.)

In his mind, these males are desirable. I guess I’ll find out (if the male isn’t sterile) and post the results. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Please let us know if you find anything really grapefruit, I would love to grow something like that.

4 Likes

Probably when I cross it to the strain grapefruit in a few weeks it could be what you want! :joy:

7 Likes

Don’t know shit from shineola about breeding etc…, but my female JS 6 buds smell strongly and distinctively like black pepper now. Not sure if this is helpful or means anything to ya , but thought I would throw it out here.

5 Likes

No way! You sure you didn’t pop Black Domina x JS seeds? Black Dom can sometimes have a black pepper smell.

3 Likes

I popped the green vial

2 Likes

:joy: Well mine are a few weeks behind, so in a few weeks I’ll let you know if mine do that too.

2 Likes

The green one was the #6 right?

2 Likes

Green - JS#6
Blue - JS#7
Yellow - JS#1
Pink - JS#4
Black - Black Domina #1 x JS
Red - Black Domina #2 x JS
Orange - Deep Chunk x JS (may have low germination rates)

Took me a minute but I found it. Yea, you’re running #6. I think #6 had the smallest seeds, but maybe #7 was also close.

5 Likes

Crazy. Let me know what yours smells like near the end. Maybe I got the wrong sticker on mine? It is very distinctive in it’s pepper smell.

2 Likes

Well I don’t expect that the Black Dominas would do that, because pepper wasn’t in the phenos I used. Also, you would know pretty easily because the seeds are very big compared to the JS seeds.

5 Likes

@Meesh whatever tf it is, remember it! :joy: That’s myrcene you’re smokin! mmm mmm myrcene :smoking:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

I learned recently that the sun can bring out terpenes that won’t otherwise appear in indo. This too could be the case, not saying it is though.

8 Likes

Here’s another pic of the JS #6. Friend thinks citrus…orange??? Smells with fuel. I just say they smell great😀

15 Likes

All looking good and healthy.

1 Like