KingGhidora's 2x4x5ft tent grow/5x solstrips (now 8x). From scratch!

This is good information to know… I have also wondered this myself. Thanks for that little tidbit @Baudelaire.

4 Likes

Update 3/30/2018

Problems

So… the Headband are indeed a tough nut to crack. I soaked them for 24 hours - none showed any hydrolyzing but I went ahead and put them in solo cups in the RGT. That was 4 days ago… still no sign of life from them.

Show me the :seedling: GREEN :seedling:

So, because I am impatient to see some green :smiley: I decided to germinate the 5 Tangie F2’s I had as backup. This time I opted for paper towel instead of soaking. After ~30 hours the first of the 5 Tangie popped its tap root. A few hours later (now), 2 more have popped. I think my paper towel was a little to dry at first or they may have popped sooner. I expect the other 2 to pop before the day is out.

The Dilemma & Moving forward

So my goal is to have 4 females to take in to flower. As I mentioned before, I would prefer to keep my total number of plants at any one time < 5 (as >= 5 is when more severe legal penalties occur). One of the reasons I chose to attempt the Headband first was because those seeds were feminized. The Tangie F2 seeds are regular. So I have to decide whether I want to grow more than 4 out until sexed and only keep the best 4 girls or whether I should just take the first 4 to make it above ground or what. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

And of course… Pic!

Here is two of the Tangie F2’s right after they popped!

Wish I had more to show you guys, but a little patience is going to go a long way I hope!

To be continued…

7 Likes

I wouldn’t up the number of plants if security is a risk. There are lots of options, but I would pack them in tight until they show pre-flowers and then pull the males and train the females to fill the space. I did send you two feminized Blueberry seeds. You should get them Monday if not sooner.

4 Likes

amelech also makes wireless dimmable driver controllers so you can turn on/off or adjust wattage from anywhere in the world

@KingGhidora i wouldn’t worry about plant count just for little guys… easy enough to throw them in a garbage can if you hear a knock at the door :smiley: plant 10 and pick the most vigorous 4 females is what i’d do :slight_smile: (actually i’d grow all the females)

4 Likes

another option is to run a perpetual 12/12 cycle.
when one is ready plant a seed, pull a male plant a seed.
then you will normally have some starting and some almost finished.

2 Likes

Shoot, I did make a tutorial for germinating those Headband, but I guess I was a little too late. My bad.
I’ll send you more if you want to try again, just PM me :mailbox_with_mail: . They are easy, once you get the hang of it.

5 Likes

I’m starting to lean towards growing out all of them until sexed. Keep the 4 best looking girls in the tent. Cull any males and then if there are any girls left over, find them a home outside.

I really would like to do this… How would you set up an optimal cycle with 4 plants?

2 Likes

just stagger them by 3 weeks maybe . it wouldnt really matter much

1 Like

Update 4/2/18

A few bumps in the road…

So I started this off with 4 hard to germ Headband. Well they lived up to their reputation. After seeing nothing from them in a week I excavated them carefully for signs of germination. One looked like it had popped so I carefully reburied it just to see if it would do anything. Nothing yet.

In the meantime I also started 5 Tangie F2’s using paper-towel method, of which 3 germinated and were placed into Solo cups with RGT. Alas, on of the little ones couldn’t get its helmet off and died. The remaining two are working on their first set of leaves now.

The problem with that is I need 4 plants… so I went ahead and germinated two Dinafem Blueberry seeds in a paper towel, but popped and I put into the Solo Cups. That was yesterday, today I can already see the first of the Blueberry just beneath the surface, it should be up before long!

I’m letting the one Headband tag along for now. We’ll see if it ends up doing anything.

A few pics:

This is the Dinafem Blueberry starting their germ

This is the Tangie F2’s breaking the surface.

And here is the Tangie F2’s saying hello to the world

A group shot in all their glory

I am currently watering with straight water (pH adjusted) until they get a second set of leaves then I will start with a 1g MegaCrop/gallon nute solution.

More to come!

8 Likes

Ok, one other bit of information… after consulting with @Jellypowered starting tomorrow or the next (which is when I expect the Blueberry to break the surface) I will be lowering the light (5x SolStrip 3500K driven at ~200W) by 1 inch daily from the current ~24 inches down to 12 inches above the plants.

5 Likes

Glad they germinated, here is their sister:

15 Likes

@ReikoX: Big sis is lookin’ nice - what size cab is that?

3 Likes

That’s his 1x1x2 :slight_smile: you can find the build starting Here

2 Likes

Update 4/5/2018

Moving along…

So it’s been a few days since the last update. Everybody is doing fine. T1 and T2 (the Tangies) are both working on their second sets of leaves. This morning I noticed the tips of T1’s leaves starting to yellow ever so slightly, so I decided to start feeding them today. So far they have been only getting pH’d (5.7) water.

Nutes

So I mixed up my first batch of nutes today.

1 gallon tap water
1 teaspoon GH CALiMAGic (added BEFORE MegaCrop to prevent lockouts)
1 gram MegaCrop
pH’d to 5.8 (didn’t want to add any more pH buffer - I was afraid I’d go under 5.7)

Plants are in 8 oz Solo cups. I gave each 4 oz of nute solution. They seem to be liking it just fine. I will continue with 1g/gallon of the MegaCrop until they get a little bigger or show signs they are wanting more.

The Blueberry are a couple days behind the Tangie but they are coming right a long. They stretched up just a tad higher than the Tangie did, but not by much. Random side note: I also noticed the cotyledon is a lot smaller on the Blueberry.

Lights

I lowered the light to 18" a couple days ago, and today will drop it down to 12" above the plants. I will be ordering more SolStrips soon to augment the 5 I have already.

Ventilation

I just ordered the AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T4 and some ducting this afternoon, expect to get it on Monday. Still debating whether I should get a filter or not. I’m leaning toward yes.

And of course, PICS :camera:

Some measurements

The Tangie

The Blueberry

Group Pic

Stay tuned…

EDIT: speln n stuff

6 Likes

Definitely @ReikoX beans. I love your packaging bro. Second to none.

6 Likes

Yes, packaging was A+ as was his labeling system. :heart: He includes Strain, Breeder, Reg/Fem, Auto/Photo, as well as quantity. Very nicely done. :smiley:

4 Likes

And cheap too :wink:

6 Likes

Absolute bargain. To be fair I’m sat on a few but shipped @Gaz29 half of your shipment and just sorted my mate a windowsill fem auto of yours
He does one a summer.

5 Likes

@anon58740919:
How well does an auto do on a window sill, given a decent medium to grow in and proper nutrients, etc… ?

3 Likes

In Northwest UK. Usually gets about 3/4 oz on a windowsill. All organic. Quantity is always little but quality is always good

3 Likes