Landraces and heirloom (Part 1)

I hope you do! I’ll most likely run a few next summer. Its not everyday a “new” landrace pops up. Supposed to be excellent.

3 Likes

Now that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time.

That scene, in that period of time, is one of the most fascinating stories of modern history. What is truly tragic is that all that remains is myth and legend, impossible to separate from fact. I developed a more cynical view of that scene the deeper I got into the psychedelic world.

6 Likes

Yeah, I imagine if a culture acquired new seeds from trade, it would only be a matter of time before they tried crossing them to the local weed. I bet they saw it as a way to have a more valuable item for trade, if it was unique and special. Just like stoners of today! It’s really not rocket science when it comes to weed. If it makes you feel good and it tastes good, too, who wouldn’t like it, heh… I bet cultures would wait with bated breath each season for their hippy weed smoking friends in the ships… i’m baked…

4 Likes

So I dug through an old jar of buds my friends father gave him a year or two ago and found about 30 seeds. It’s suppose to be Burnham Red Eye, a strain developed locally here in Maine. His father has been growing this strain outdoors for years, using seeds saved from one year to the next. I smoked some last year, it was poorly dried and trimmed, but I remember it got me decently Buzzed. I’m going to give some of them a try at some point to see what it does indoors.

11 Likes

@Seamonkey84… That’s awesome! I love local varieties! Probably great in crosses as well as pure. Make more seeds…these heirlooms (or future heirlooms) are disappearing fast. We can’t do much about plant diversity in other countries, but buy seeds when they come around every now and again. But we can protect the diversity in our own neighborhoods. Got an old local heirloom in the area? Better snag it before it’s gone! Its “not very potent” you say? Try combining 2 or 3 local heirlooms and see what you come up with…it may just be some fire no one else in the world has.

6 Likes

Greetings…you up for trading 5 or 6 of those Burnham Rey Eyes? I’m certainly interested in native Maine works!! Have a pleasant week, stay safe and, be well.

3 Likes

No doubt. Even if the cross were accidental, it would be bound to happen. And good weed gets spread around, along with any seeds inside it, spreading the new hybrid around. Weed has been mankind’s most powerful herbal medicine for a long time, making it an important trade item for some cultures, I’m sure.

6 Likes

Hmm, when talking from 1970 below, im not shure how much cultural Exchange happend. Many Familys and Tribes are very closed, sometimes shy of the Outside. Elders had a strong power. You have to imagine that Times, it is different nowdays. Like said some exchange happend even Overseas, ( logically as Africa, Southamerica did not have Cannabis befor man brought it there) but it was probably not like the daily Norm. I guess a great Poportion of what Landraces made was Selection, slight regional Outcrosing.

3 Likes

However, i am with you @Upstate , thinking slight regional Outcrosing may, or may not been crutial for creating Landr. I just dont see enough indicators that far Outcrossing was needed.

If people talk of legendary Vietnamese, they always mention Dalat as one of the Best, ooh its close to the Coast, hmmm, BUT its also a the highest hill in south Vietnam…

1 Like

Some tribes, probably those in trading hotspots, traded exclusively weed for other goods with other tribes. Not every tribe was agricultural, and that is an important note. Only the farming peoples would have grown it, while hunter gatherer types would have traded for it or abstained from weed altogether. The proof that the exchange happened are the hundreds of different and unique landraces we have today, and the thousands of cultivars coming from them. I’m not saying all potent stock must be a hybrid by any means. If cultural exchange were frequent, like today, landraces would not have had the time to develope. I’m just saying that those ultra potent landraces could be a hybrid between 2 or more different landraces more recently introduced.
Today, its easier to spot contamination of a landrace, because it is occurring with afghani based genetics, which drastically shorten flowering periods of tropical landraces. In the past, it was sativa genetics introduced to different sativa genetics, and flowering time may not have been altered at all. And the scale of introduction was small in most instances. Dribbling in little by little. But, in some cases where we are sure new genetics were introduced at a modern rate, we find these extra potent " landraces". Durban, South Africa was a trading hub for Arabian, indian, and Indonesian peoples.( and of course,

the British and Dutch) Colombia had the massive influx from American pharmaceutical companies ( and later, BOEL)Mexico had a massive influx of genetic material from Colombia, ( and later, BOEL)and I have not read of Acapulco Gold being talked about before this time.( anyone? I’m not sure on this one)
Even Vietnamese landraces could have seen new material. Dalat was grown by the French, right? They had a massive colonial empire until WW2, and held on to vietnam until 1954. Was Dalat one of the results of hybridization too? If it was, its had nearly 80 years to sort things out and stabilize. (100 years has been suggested as the time it takes to become a landrace)

I agree completely. I love following the genetic trail. Kind of like the old poster showing apes morphing into modern humans, landraces have " morphed" as well. A genetic trail can sometimes clearly be followed from tribe to tribe, nation to nation. The landrace from one region being similar to the next region, but with notable differences too. A landrace that’s completely different from those around it means one of two things…isolation from different genetics( a tribal border with an unliked neighboring tribe, or seclusion)or hybridization at some point from unrelated genetics. Both are possible, but usually history can give us a clue as to which one it was. That’s the fun stuff. Finding that out.

8 Likes

Not quite a land race but the Bodhi AG is definatly 100% Sativa, she’s at around 75 days now and 7’ tall indoor plant…

28 Likes

I myselve cant make any Conclusion based on some possibly Overlaying of Patterns. I would have to study History .

Also i never heard Scientist say, outcrossing was crutial for Landr (Food-Plants).
They say, centurylong Inbreeding made A Golfballthick Strawberry out a Fingernailthick wild Strawberry. If i see how strong that Strawb. grew, and assume it was selection for the Biggest (Since outcrossing different small wild ones may or may not done nothing to the Size), then i can imagine the Power of selection.
I dont know who to trust, since im no Historican nor a Scientist.

5 Likes

I’m no scientist, but I’ve studied lots of history, and history does provide clues. However, until DNA mapping is done, no conclusions can be drawn, just theories made that need proving.

10 Likes

Looks damn landrace! That’s gorgeous! Looks like it still has alot of time left to finish. How long do you figure?6- 8 weeks? That would put it at 16-18 weeks. That may just be a landrace. What does Bodhi say about it? Crossed to something else?

6 Likes

i don’t know if i ever mentioned to you or mister of getawaymountainseeds.com out of blue hill. he has a old 90’s strain called R2 that originated as a wild pot stand found growing in n.bruinswick , ca. its said to be a powerful smoke that will make you cough your ass off. he has a few strains where one of the parents is R2 but doesn’t offer the pure one anymore. won’t tell you where he got it either.

3 Likes

He probably found some hippies outdoor grow.

7 Likes

the story i heard is that where this was found was in a very remote area and the guy that found it was hiking and went back many times to harvest some over the years and finally decided to sell the seeds. swears there weren’t any signs of cultivation and the patch was over a hectare and spreading itself slowly each year. maybe a guerrilla grow that someone forgot about? of course once the word got out it got raided so theres only a few sources that can be traced back to this original strain. anyway this strain adapted to the regions 3 month summer to grow and reseed itself before frost killed it. thats why the locals call it their native strain.

6 Likes

Looks exactly like the bag of hay I got when I was 16. Can’t find any info on the Bodhi but this looks most like my plant. Says 16-24 weeks, :woozy_face:, stacking small hard pine cones up the stems.

If you read the bottom here it says they are using Bodhi stock for their Acapulco Gold Mother’s .

So that would mean I have 4-12 weeks…:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl: , no rush here, she’s a food hog, looks like she’s done stretching, starting to bulk up And May produce a decent amount of bud, was looking for a male to back cross the Brutal Paw back towards Monkey Paw. Also have a clone of her that I did full dusting with the big Vietnam Black (1/8 Romulan), Black Gold.

13 Likes

@lefthandseeds has grown them out and has f2’s …maybe not for everyone though …iirc he did say about 16 weeks?

6 Likes

Yes that’s right. I’ve grown the ones from bodhi a few times. I did cut mine around 14-15 weeks both times, but I’d say i chopped them a bit early. They’re pure old school sativas, no doubt about it. Wispy buds and all.

7 Likes