Leaf Issues - Organic Soil

I have started to get some issues with a couple of plants. Perhaps someone could help. I’m growing in a super soil but the leaves look like there’s a deficiency somewhere. All I’ve done from the beginning of the grow has been to water. It isn’t a huge problem yet but there’s something not right. All help welcome.

5 Likes

seems like potassum deficiency. You grow only organic style? In flowering stage ph can go down. Need.to check PH.

5 Likes

I agree with @zavorotnuck he nailed it , deffo pottasium : )

3 Likes

I would get some compost and top dress, also make a tea and water em in good. See if that balance em out✌🏾

8 Likes

Whats your pH?

2 Likes

In my limited experience, I get similar occurring myself with my high ppm, high ph tap water when planting into a new soil mix- even when it’s well fortified with organic amendments.

I may be off here, but what ive found to work best is 1. Water at the right ph, especially in small pots. 2. You may need to lightly bottle feed some nutes initially. 3. Get those microbes going. Make sure you have charged biochar in your mix, get a tea going to boost the biology in the soil.

I’m just doing my first 20 gal reused soil- so it was already microbially active. Those flowering plants 7 weeks in are green as can be with no deficiencies showing. My 1gals I just transplanted into tho w new soil that I just mixed- they have the exact same issues youre having. A couple shots of dilute fert set them straight after about 10 days. Theyre getting a tea next- just got top dressed yesterday w an organic amendment for good measure.

Just remember- organics take a long time to correct deficiencies bc its all based on soil biology and the nutrients from our quality organic amendments won’t be immediately available without good soil activity. So the addition of top dressed compost and teas I also agree with. As @ReikoX always says, some EWC go a long way at correcting a lot of problems

5 Likes

Thanks to everybody for replying.
Yeah, I was just using tap water, as I have done all the grow. (I understood that supersoil needed no ph buffering)
The tap water was 5.5 so I upped it to 6.5 for the last couple of waterings.
I made a foliar spray from seaweed extract and top dressed some kelp powder and worm castings as well. I will add some sulfate of potash later today.

i didn’t construct the supersoil, it was a prepared concentrate and I composted it for six weeks. I used the same last year with good results but tbh I’m not entirely sure of its contents. Whether the formula has changed I don’t know.
Whatever it is, it’s afflicting three separate plants so I think it’s either medium or water. The plants have been pretty healthy until now but this came on quickly, just as the days were getting longer, so it may be connected to the beginning of flowering.

This is an important point to keep in mind for me.

This is what they used to look like.

then this started…

Thanks again

3 Likes

Sorry, meant to tag replies
@zavorotnuck @ifish @Jamescoldflame @newb2.0 @ReikoX

In an organic soil, you still need to keep the pH in a reasonable range. 5.5 is way too low for soil. For reference, 8.0 is also too high. I suggest you shoot for between 6.0 and 7.0, then the plant can adjust from there. Remember these are logarithmic functions, so pH 7.0 is 100x greater than pH 6.0.

1 Like

I am already on it. i simply had accepted the wisdom of not checking it, fool that I was.

2 Likes

When I ran supper soil I added Dolomite lime to help buffer but until I started checking regularly I always had a problem
I keep mine ph between 5.5 and 6.5 which is neutral

1 Like

As I see it in the new growth looks like an immobile nutrient deficiency, Manganese maybe? icon_e_confused|nullxnull

Captura

1 Like