Lebathon - A year in Lebanon

So you were able with to see preflowers this week? I have a volunteer in my garden that I’m waiting to sex. I’m pretty certain I see female preflowers but I’ll know for certain in a few days. I think it’s either Lebanese or Syrian Leb from my compost pile.

7 Likes

@lefthandseeds Yeah. The last one sexed this week. The others sexed weeks ago, though.

5 Likes

Black Lebanon BX x Viking
20230714_165644

20230714_165636

20230714_165616

14 Likes

Viking is a Danish heirloom, is that right? I can definitely see the Lebanese influence in your hybrid. Looking good!
Here’s @lefthandseeds Black and Blue Lebanese. These plants may as well be growing under a waterfall. We’ve had more rain than most tropical rainforests lately. Its ridiculously wet. I think there’s only been a day or 2 with no rain over the last month now at my place. No fungal issues at all on the stems or leaves in the one earth box. The Hugelkulture box Is in an even wetter area, growing exactly where I had those 25 female RSC Lebanese plants that nearly completely rotted 4 or 5 years ago during a similar summer. Just one little side branch got stem rot in that container. I’m very impressed. A little shocked, even. Goes to show that even a dry area land race can be acclimated to a wet climate given determination and time.
The real test will be the final weeks of flowering. Hoping we have some normal weather by then.Screenshot_20230714_170127_Gallery
Plants are about four feet tall now.

15 Likes

What kind of camera do you use?? That first pic looks so perfect it’s like I’m standing in front of it!
Maybe it’s me shaking trying to take my pics or something lol but either way that is a beautiful plant!

3 Likes

Yes, here is the Viking pollen donor I chose for the cross.

Thanks @Upstate, yours look great too! :grinning:

Hi @Kushking902 :grin:
I just took those with my Galaxy A8, nothing fancy. I have a few compact cameras lying around that I pull out for the fancy bud shots when I’m not feelin lazy :laughing:

Thank you!! :pray::relaxed:

6 Likes

That’s great to hear. They’re very resilient plants, but I wasn’t sure how they’d fare in very wet conditions. I’ve got a volunteer in my garden and I think it might be a Lebanese of some kind. It came from my compost pile. We’ve had an exceptionally wet year as well, and it seems to be very happy. Lately we have have had drier conditions and it has taken off.

9 Likes

@lefthandseeds At first, they seemed very different from the Lebanese I grew, but now I totally see ithe resemblance. The RSC plants had the same exact structure, only super compact. Same amount of nodes on an 18 inch plant as these have in 3 or 4 feet. These are like RSC plants tall sisters. Stacked nodes allow no airflow and poor lighting on the plant interior, making for a moldfest. So for sure, the better node spacing of B&B Lebanese is a key feature of their resistance. But, even with good spacing, the lack of septoria and stem rot can only be explained by these plants being grown in a wet climate for a number of generations, or by the hybrid vigor that comes from your outcrossing to close relatives. Or both. I’m excited to finally smoke some Lebanese bud, or even.better, a bit of hash. Thanks for your generosity passing these around. My father spoke highly of Lebanese Blonde and Red Hash, and I’ve never had any. I’ll shoot for some blonde hash, and if the plants will allow, I’ll leave some to redden up for night time. Most will be for ganja.

10 Likes

I’m excited for you, and glad to hear they’re doing great. They’re just easy growing plants, they have nice structure and produce great bud. I’m kind of stuck on them. The effects struck a chord with me and I like how they grow.

7 Likes

I can totally see the relationship with Moroccan now. One plant in particular has gone thru the same growth spurt. I had to fold the plant in half yesterday lol. I know from growing Moroccan that the nodes will alternate any day now, And flowering will start early August. These will finish here😁
One thing with the earthboxes (if you have no cover…)it’s tough keeping up with Nitrogen. Especially in the Hugelkulture box, due to the rotten wood. I might have to break out the 10-3-1 bat guano. Chicken manure can’t keep up with all the rain we’ve had. Poured again last night, and it’s going to rain all day. Had a nice day yesterday at least.
I always heard Cali growers say high humidity makes for larfy buds. Not true at all. Maybe their genetics here would be larfy, but genetics selected to perform here, or that come from wetter areas, do just fine.

Can’t wait to try them!

6 Likes

I have a volunteer plant from my compost pile taking up a bunch of space. Pretty sure it’s a Lebanese or SyrianLeb. You can see its into flowering already

18 Likes

Beautiful buds on these Lebs. They are fattening up in some cases already😁

16 Likes

No mold. Leaves yellow, die, and wilt, petiole still attached to the plant. Getting every last nutrient out of the leaf. Plants that hang on to brown, moist or wet, shriveled leaves ( complete mush when it rains) without any associated stem rot, or botrytis next to where it attaches often have great mold resistance ime.
So far no mold. These already made it further than any of the RSC plants in an equally wet summer. Maybe 2 or 3 max weeks left for the fastest plant. That puts NY harvest before the rains and at the end of our ( typically) driest month for the earliest and mid October for the late ones. If they are susceptible to budrot, I’ll see it soon.

7 Likes

She’s a beaut. My volunteer plant is pretty much done here. I think it’s Willy Gs Lebanese, possibly crossed to BaOx. It could go one more week, but I’m risking thievery at this point with how tall it is.

I’m really a big fan of the earlier photoperiod initiation. There’s no worries about it finishing on time.

That’s an interesting observation. Mine is also holding onto dead leaves with an iron grip. I went out there today and tried to yank one that was fully brown and it resisted a surprising amount, so I just left it.

8 Likes

Yup. It’s like plants that drop leaves more readily will rot, while those that hang onto those rotten leaves have nothing to worry about. My own moldproof strain holds onto them as well. It would be neat if this observation held true across all strains. I’ll pay more attention. Ilaqai Nasal holds onto them as well. So far, zero mold.

Maybe a week left for the fastest plant. Quicker than I thought. I’m not used to buds ripening so quickly lol. I can see a change every time I look at them😁
I found a neat Leb Sativa pheno. Looks just like some Moroccan I’ve grown, but with better resin. Maybe there is some Moroccan genes in Blue Hemp Lebanese? More likely that the Lebanese genepool, like it’s distant sister genepool in Afghanistan, was originally a mostly ( or fully)Sativa genepool that’s been overrun by Indica genetics.
The male Leb is spent. It rained so much when he was is bloom, I didn’t have a chance to use him. I do have Turkish pollen as a backup if the whether cooperates…but not much time left to use it. Any interest in a few Leb×Turkish? I can make us each 20 or 30 seeds…

12 Likes

Such a fascinating hypothesis! @lefthandseeds @Upstate Do you think plants holding onto their leaves rather than shedding them helps to reduce possible wound sites where pathogenic microbial populations may otherwise flourish? Much love

6 Likes

Absolutely it does. By the time that leaf falls off, It is completely healed beneath it.

8 Likes

That’s very cool — not especially common in the bb leb either. I wouldn’t be surprised if that came out of the blue hemp Lebanese. There’s some really interesting traits in that line.

I’d love some crossed to the Turkish. I have a few in my collection — I’d have to refresh my memory on what breeder I got them from. I also have the blue hemp Moroccan from Derg, but haven’t grown those yet.

4 Likes

Sweet! I’ll make us some beans. Check out the Turk male keepers I found…CHUBBY HUBBY!

Shit weather today. Looks like Tuesday is nice. I’ll do it then.

13 Likes

More Black and Blue Lebanese

14 Likes