Led lighting

Hey guys I’m new to the led world, I have only ever known hid lighting & back when led first came out were rubbish so I stayed right away.
Now I can see the advances they’ve made. So I’m looking to get a good quality one to have coverage of 1.5 mtr x 1.5 mtr footprint.
Some things I don’t understand is the wattages, some say they cover such and such at low wattages but others that have the same coverage but twice the watts. How does all this translate? I have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated and recommendations on quality lights that will fit the footprint I need. Thanks heaps guys, peace :v:

8 Likes

You will need more detail and to do more research but a general rule is you need 30w per sq ft for flowering. I run 37.5.

Also be aware there’s a lot of bullshit out there so you need to be very well informed.

8 Likes

Yeah like a lot of lights will advertise that they’re 1000w but theyre actually only 100w or 105w

3 Likes

Look on the specs for “Actual Draw”

6 Likes

Anyone using the word “equivalent” is immediately suspect.

6 Likes

generally the most important thing about LED when you switch is the light distance - many don’t understand thinking that led’s need to be closure to the plant. There is a veg foot print and a flower foot inprint. wattage is directly related to light intensity. there is much info on this subject. I f you want a US made led at very reasonable prices check out Elevated Lighting (was Budget Led’s)(made by Vets) have two of their lights - Consider Quatrum Boards you have less of a heat issue with QB. can’t say enough about this company + great customer service !!!

3 Likes

I would figure out my projected “needs” first.

A relevant metric is called DLI, this is a measurement of how much total light is needed during a 24 period.

Look at the ppfd map of the LED and make sure the light can deliver what you need.

These LED lighting maps can be exaggerated, so make sure they are credible.

4 Likes

Some key acronyms to learn about on your quest: PAR, PPFD, DLI.

4 Likes

We can make this as complicated or as simple as you’d like :rofl:

8 Likes

Ok thanks mate I’ll try find some more info to read up on it as it’s an investment and I don’t want to get the wrong thing! So with the 30w per ft rule is that ft distance from the floor to the light? Or is it ft squared? I’m a little confused sorry for the dumb question :+1:

4 Likes

No worries. I mean footprint square feet. I run a 2x4 so I have 8 sq ft.

Height is a different issue on which I don’t agree with some of the above information.

Really any quality manufacturer should be fine as long as you are reading actual draw. Obviously there are better and worse ones. But for the most part.

1 Like

I’ll be growing indicas and Afghani & indica dominant hybrids

The distance is measured from the top of the plants to the lamp.

When choosing the LED it is always good to look at the technical specifications and search for real consumption / real watts / real power, because that is what will indicate the real power of the LED.
Another thing to note is the type of LED used the samsung lm281b and lm301h are the best, there are some epistar that are also good, but never used to be able to indicate.

1 Like

1.5mtr X 1.5mtr…is that 4.5ft X 4.5ft?

2 Likes

4’ 11” I think

2 Likes

Here is a DLI chart for some context.

DLI Formula = PPFD X 60 X 60 X Daylight Hrs

This is a typical PPFD Map for my LED, notice the different values based on distance from canopy.

2 Likes

What’s your budget? if you dont mind me asking

1 Like

Best rule of thumb that I can offer is look at actual wattage on the LED units

Led seems to run 40-50% the power of HID

So what that means is if trying to replace a 1000w hps bulb, ur prob gonna wanna get 400-500 at the wall wattage in led

Generally the quantum boards that were mentioned are claimed 1000w of light with 100w at the wall. So going on my suggestion u would need about 4-5 of em the accomplish the same canopy as a 1000w hps and prob still won’t see as deep of a light penetration to the bottom but should be just as bright of a canopy

So to make it easy
if replacing 250w hid 100watt led
Replacing 400w hid 200 watt led
If replacing 600w hid 300 watt led
If replacing 1000w hid them 400-500watt led

5 Likes

The best advice I can give is not to trust what many led manufacturers state on their ad and look at the specs. As has been said above the actual power draw is what you should be looking at and not the BS marketing many use to deceive folks. Mars (new bar lights), HLG, Timber and many others will get you where you want to go. What is your budget?

9 Likes

Thanks heaps guys for the help, I gotta say it’s a bit daunting all these charts and tables, hopefully I can pick it up and get a better understanding.
I don’t have a set budget I just know I want to get a quality light first so I don’t need to replace soon after. I was recommended a LUMATEK light tat was 460 watt I think and cost 1700 aud I thought crikey that’s alot more expensive than the old hid lights but apparently it will do a footprint close to what I need, I just don’t know if there’s something better I should be getting and if I’d be over paying etc . I’ll be buying it at the start of June so I can save and learn more by then to know I’m getting the right light. Thanks alot guys!

2 Likes