Legal Hemp Growers

A farmer buddy just got his state permits for growing legal hemp, I did a search but can’t really find a thread about it from start to finish…Can anyone give me any ideas on to how to go about it? This farmer doesn’t smoke but he has been growing my strains for the past 2yrs…Any info/ideas would really be appreciated.

I’ve posted these pix before, these were his grows.

12 Likes

Happy National Hemp Day people…

Shit, did I miss it??? I better hit the bong right now to make up for that “oversight” on my part! Probably should hit it at least once for each day I missed. Or maybe I’ve already done that. Fuck I’m confused. I vote every day be declared National Hemp (or perhaps Cannabis?) Day! It would so ease my mental strain…

Revolving pot leaves

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

looks like this one never did quite gain traction. i just found out today i got my hemp growing license approved. all i need is the background checks and the license fee, $110 for growing and $500 for processing. i can’t wait 'til new year’s now. i’ll be having some input on the process then. i plan on trying to breed thcv and cbd into some of my favorite strains while breeding the thca out and selling the seeds. since i’m not planning on selling any i don’t need to have it tested. that way if they pop in and do random sampling and testing and it doesn’t pass i don’t have to throw it all out. of course i may not succeed, and that’s ok. or i could have put up a half mil for the medical cannabis application and another half mil for the license so i can grow the good stuff and sell it. it was really a no-brainer - industrial cannabis for the win!

1 Like

Very interesting, may you guys can help me…

1 Like

Didn’t matter because he had a great harvest.

Sativa section

Before harvest…got more pix on my other phone…

3 Likes

I have worked with field grown hemp extensively during my PhD and have plenty experience helping new hemp growers. Send me a message if you got any questions!

2 Likes

This was a med/rec grow not field hemp…he still has a ton of weed out there and it’s for anyone who wants it…

2 Likes

@ThePotanist oh i’ve got plenty of questions on hemp growing, just not sure what they are right now. first off, what type of hemp and what type of spacing would you use if you wanted to make paper? i need to get some seeds now and have about an acre i will use, almost all hillside. used to be pasture and there are a couple of spots of real good soil. been about two years since the horse and donkey left. i was gonna just crop the field close and plant the hemp by hand and keep weeds out 'til it got about 2 ft high, kind of like we used to do tobacco except we had a tractor to plant. i hated hoeing that crap!

@sfzombie13 great question! I would say for paper, fiber hemp (something like Fedora or Futura). Fiber plantings are DENSE, in France they recommend up to 3 or 400 plants per meter square. Here in the US most people shoot for 100 thousands plants per acre as a minimum. If you are selling your fiber. We planted something like 1 million per seeds per acre on 7 and a half inch rows i think. It was similar to a high density grain planting
Sounds like you just want some to do some cool shit with which is badass. If I were not too plant a whole acre, I would likely try to grow patches of 1-200 plants per meter squared. If you get germination you will only need to keep weed free around the borders. When that canopy forms, shit forms thick.

I’ll try and get some pics from our field seasons to post, but they are currently on an external hard drive in my office on campus

yeah, that’s a whole lot more than i would have thought. i want to sell stationary made by me from my hemp. i figured it out that 8.5"x69" gets 12 sheets of paper at 5.75"x8.5" with no waste and 8 envelopes at 8.5"x8.5" with just under an inch of waste. that’s the hemp part. the industrial cannabis part is breeding thcv and cbg plants with some thca plants to get the seeds. i can’t sell anything above 0.03% thca but i am only selling the seeds anyway so i should be good. i just got some bananalope, doug varin, and sinai seeds to breed with the panama red and temple flo. i should end up with some interesting crosses and a few stationary sets at the end of the year.

That sounds dope! Keep me updated, especially what comes from some of those genetics and stationary. If you have any questions on hemp strains for cannabinoids and what we’ve seen work well and what doesn’t, at least in the midwest, let me know. I know of a couple real good resources based on grower and university cultivar trials. I know personally there are some CBG strains out there that just get annihilated by disease

I’d be interested to hear how the process of applying for a license went.

easy as hell. need land, or a lease like i got, and both parties need a background check. application fee is $100, license is $100 plus $5 for each acre. the application fee gets refunded if you don’t get it and if you do it gets applied to the license fee. $500 if you want to process it, any kind even drying it so you can sell it or work with it. i’m making paper so if i want to sell stationary sets i need another license for that, it’s $100. they take applications from 1 sep to 31 oct yearly and the license runs from 1 jan through 31 dec. also, an aerial photograph, they take a google earth satellite view.

there’s a list of what you can’t have somewhere on the site i linked to. basically thca and a few cbd variants i think. i’m not concerned with it as i’m not selling any of the fiber from the high thc, just the seeds from that. the fiber is coming from the legal hemp out in the field. it looks like i’ll be planting a lot more than i thought i would. i’ll keep a grow log of that too when i get it planted. i’ve got one for the seeds here.

So it is important to point out that the USDA has taken a pretty hands off approach to licensing hemp growers. They have a licensing option, but they let each state decide how they want to administer licenses. Some states follow the licensing procedures of the USDA, other states have their own guidelines on how you need to apply. Its worth it to Google your states name and then hemp extension, this will take you to University websites if there are extension programs in your state. The extension officer’s job is to help growers while also conducting research and they will talk to you for free.

yeah, that’s wv i am talking about. i forgot to mention that, pretty important piece of info too.

1 Like