Legitimate breeders/ best practices... name names if you want

Going back to the infancy of Bros. Grimm I got to know Sly much more than Mr Soul. What a difference time has made. My first Bros. Grimm order was direct, before Heavens Stairway sold their gear. I really enjoyed listening to some Duke’s interviews, very knowledgable dude.

Never sampled the Airborne G13, can you tell me about the smell and taste?

1 Like

It’s been a little over a year now. Went out to blow out a grow room for a buddy of mine that had moved there. I’d be lying if I even could start to describe it. They wanted to make sure I took some smoke with me so we had like 8 to 10 unmarked bottles to choose from. I know I went back to that one three times and was like, which one is this? Duke handed me the bottle and says, just take it dude. Sent us on our way with a big ass Skunk plant as well.

The week I was there Everything in comparison was mids.

Duke is one of my home boys from the area. I was sad when he left and went out west on his adventure, but it has worked out very well for him and I know he is pretty happy there. Spoke to him two weeks ago for a couple of hours catching up. Hoping to fly out in the spring and chill for a minute. He’s one of the most knowledgeable guys I know, and there is no bullshit with him at all.

He’s on IG a lot, but seems done with forums.

BTW, I haven’t forgot about talking to Bodhi. I’ve just not heard back from him just yet and I’m sure the smoke is just clearing from the Emerald cup last weekend.

7 Likes

The reason I ask is because I remember Dankmaster saying it literally smelled and tasted like shit in his garden.

I don’t live in Va. but I’m a frequent visitor to the Culpepper area and I have a bunch of friends down that way. Listening to Duke talk, he reminds me of my favorite moonshiners from the Culpepper area.

I don’t think Soul ever really cared for the forums and it was like pulling teeth to get Sly to post.

1 Like

My partner Kindmind said the same thing about his.

I’ll never claim that shit ever smelled or tasted good though.

I am a couple of hrs north of there. DC area, and we have a legal moonshine place about 2 miles away. lol

Yeah, no…

6 Likes

That’s actually a great reference. I’ve got a (blueberry x afghan) x ( ssh x hindu) that i picked exclusively for large growth and resin production. Unfortunately it’s very mold prone (very odd for bb), i’d love to work on it pop 50+ seeds to find the right pheno’s. I know if i did the rewards would def be worth it. Yet i just don’t have the space/time to do that and keep my other projects going.

4 Likes

The opiate like profile Sour Bubble has makes it unique and that’s why it’s decendents are so acclaimed. Sour Double and GG4 came down from my old breeder clone of my SB and it is now 17 yrs old. I glad it tastes good too. Bog

10 Likes

Currently. But i bet in 30 or 50 years its just like lettuce, carrots or a strawberry . Its just been illegal for so long the real money hasn’t been spent on making it all homogeneous.
But i think there will be a market, just like the microbreweries of today. Where home growers can have a tiny niche to keep growing different strains not sold behind the register at supermarket/convenience stores.

2 Likes

Any experience with these guys gang?

3 Likes

Bogland72@gmail.com

Contact me for info…

4 Likes

Lol just had this conversation with another member. Skunkman Sam is the ONLY breeder EVER… just ask him. He will make sure you know

2 Likes

I love discussions like this. Can’t wait to see what other greatness comes from OG in the coming years :grin:

1 Like

That’s a quite big thing to say…
:neutral_face:
DS

His words m8 not mine

He does have quite the ego doesnt he?

1 Like

fck!!! that’s not “an ego”… they are minimum 10… :smile:
ds

1 Like

Yup. Think it was your thread that he showed his true ego in now that I think about it… but even after that I’ve heard him rip on everybody else

If you want to select for certain traits it is better to have hundreds or thousands of plants to choose from. If you are only able to grow four or even a dozen plants you won’t have the diversity.

I’m going to start a project that challenges this idea. I think a more correct statement is that using the traditional geno/pheno isolation methods, you won’t have the diversity.

I’m no Einstein, but I’ll steal his ideas. There’s another dimension other than space, and that’s time! Example: You start with 50 plants, and do selection back to a dozen or whatever you have space to flower. Then open pollenate them and use seeds from a few females that you like the best every run. By using multiple plants each run, you are effectively extending/slowing the genetic convergence into the time dimension. If you cross 4 plants every run, instead of just 2, then maybe it’ll take twice as long to reach a true breeding strain – but it’ll allow you to not need to have all the desired traits you’re looking for in a single plant right off the bat.

Eventually after enough generations, you’ll increase the probability of finding all the traits you want so that you can find “the one” even in small populations. The second thing is that you don’t have to grow the males at the same time as the females. Grow out males and kill all females for a few runs. Collect pollen from the best and then do the females.

I’m calling my project “micro landracing”, because that’s essentially what it is. And I think this kind of breeding style can be applied to heirlooms or polyhybrids alike. You also don’t have to start with just 2 strains. Hell, pick 5 or 30 if you want. It’ll take me a lot of work for sure. But if you’re not trying to make a living at it, then you can afford to spend a couple of years working on a single population of genetics.

8 Likes

good luck with that lefthand!

1 Like

:expressionless:
Depending on definition of “legwork”, that could be true… :smile:

DS

1 Like

It depends on the goal. If you are isolating an easy dominant trait that pops up with more frequency it can be done with as few as 25 plants and a hand full of generations. If it’s a super recessive and obscure terpene that may only show up with particular growing methods/nutrients/altitude/ pH plan on thousands of plants and decades.
Simple stabilization is the quick bet.
There’s an expression of ak47 that’s very black pepper/ skunk that I was able to isolate and breed about 85 percent true in 5 generations. It’s a common expression and easy to isolate.
But youve probably heard of cherry ak and that one would take a life time just to find, let alone get a population big enough to sustain.
Your plan of attack is valid and will yield results bit expect it to take some time.

10 Likes