Lights raised high in commercial grows, I got to know why?

Wow no wonder corporate cannabis will boil down to 2 companies. Surely at cdn. wholesale, these grows are going the way of the dinosaur in less than a decade. Too much overhead…ohh I’m on a roll…sry

4 Likes

I think it’s going to be balls to the walls here shortly with federal legalization…Hoping

3 Likes

You can deal with them in a home grow. Ceiling height is the main consideration. Heat isn’t much different than a standard bulb.

1 Like

But are the pictures of those lights have leds or bulbs?

2 Likes

If you are using multiple Double Ended Hid lights, which they are, you have to keep them at least 3 to 5 feet above the plants to prevent heat pockets.

6 Likes

the way I understand it is…

commercial grows aren’t looking for maximum yield. they’re looking for maximum efficiency.

(read: profit)

fast-finishing, heavy yielders under just enough light. (read: cool-able)

1 Like

DJ Short’s always been a big advocate of keeping the lights powerful but really far away :man_shrugging:

I remember somewhere he described his ideal setup as a gymnasium with ultrapowerful lights hanging way above.

3 Likes

It Varies, one is for sure L.E.D. A double-ended was spotted as well.

as long as the plants don’t get far spacing branch nodes, I am for it.

I used to work in building maintenance. If a building is being retrofitted with lighting the architect may just have the leds mounted where the previous bulbs were mounted as a cost savings. They just specify a low angle light to replace the previous one. So manufacturers would design lights for that purpose. I would not put too much stock in some pictures without knowing the details.

1 Like

Funny, I was just wondering this myself today while scanning through IG on the shitter. Always figured they just max’d them out up high, so they didn’t have to worry about micro adjusting.

The other thing that got me today, was all the rockwool and drip trays. Big plant’s but no roots running wild! They only look to be 6 or maybe 8 inch blocks/cubes, how do they keep the plants so big in such a neat and tidy cube?

6 Likes

Commercial grower for rec market since 2016

In our experience it is max yield to how much your electricity costs a month. They’re up high to prevent burning your plants, pair of 1200w DE over a table can cook your plants, keep your lights just out of that range for the strain, the hvac will take care of heat pocketing if your fans are working properly. As for node stretches, that’s primarily genetics or a dying bulb/too high for strain.

Take this as you will this is just my personal experience for indoor.

10 Likes

At the end of the day there is only so much light the plants can actually absorb before being bleached or fried. Some of these commercial sets ups usually are professional done to give the plants the maximum amounts of light. Any closer would probably damage the plants. In a greenhouse you have to also factor in the ppfd of the normal sunlight too.

3 Likes

hard to tell scale especially with out a floor tile lol

1 Like

In veg you get huge creeping roots in the drain toughs, they die back in flower due to light usually. Cubes are more about flooding the feed on a frequent basis so you need a less larger root mass. Trade off is you’re growing so quick in hydro you don’t have time to develop huge root masses outside moms.

4 Likes

now that is a tree! wow

1 Like

I think it’s mostly a heat issue. I have a DE 1000k in my 4x8 and had plants grow within inches of the glass cover with no problem. Again these are landrace sativas. If you don’t believe me. The proof is right here.

1 Like

Lots of commercial grows are still using DE HID lights, you need a decent ceiling for that. Others like in the first pic are supplemental green house lighting.

1 Like

I think you gotta account for overlap and heat too, say you have a 50ftx100ft building with 12ft ceilings that’s like 20 lights. That’s a shit ton of light and heat.

1 Like
2 Likes