Limiting access to seed-runs, auctions & fundraisers

If they pay up who cares man.

Been said 1000 times, the person donating makes the rules

9 Likes

You are. Some sort of nefarious new users outbidding you in an auction shouldn’t be able to participate because you say these folk are ‘hit&run’. Then you post example profiles saying things like "is this the kind of members we want in our community ", “vultures”, and “strangers”.

In one case the ‘anti’ new folk nearly drove a good contributing member away. Not to mention causing the auction to go down in flames. That will not be re-occurring.

So that will stop. I’ve already given guidance on what to do if you suspect something nefarious. If there is difficulty understanding what is being said, you can consider this a new rule just for you.

It’s an auction. And, it’s not even your auction. You’re just upset about how auctions work when they don’t work on your behalf. The auction host can determine what exposure they want to the rest of the world. Create your own auction and you can dictate your rules to those who participate.

5 Likes

Perhaps how you mentioned them confused me about the convenience or not to refer to them that way.

So to make it clear, there’s no need now to introduce yourself and publish some basic info about you, roger to that, the winner takes all, money talks, everybody’s happy and problem solved … :sunglasses:

I kind of want to make a new profile strictly for auctions…

5 Likes

An auction born out of the philanthropy of someone who simply wants to help overgrow.com survive & grow. In other words, the highest bidders may not be contributors to our sight in general terms, but their impact, by virtue of their winning bid, is certainly helping us all out. If they meet the requirements laid out by the benefactor whose donations make the auction possible, we should all be grateful for their contribution.

@George, there is nothing you’re going to be able to say to change anyone’s mind who actually controls, manages or administrates the site. With all due respect, let it go. Get over it and move on. You’re yelling at the clouds at this point.

10 Likes

I was thinking of this too. Too many messages makes it hard to keep track of any actual conversations rather than seed requests from 4 day old accounts.
Dont wanna throw this guy under the bus…but a good example.

5 Likes

Appreciate your words and wise advice, what I cannot understand is why this thread was splitted out by LemonadeJoe presumely to discuss about it when everything was already decided, waste of time for everyone

I apologize for being too candid and think the community could participate in this kind of decissions, now I know and will stay away … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Dude, keep spinning. Bring up your bread and circuses, copyrights, security, and whatever new thing you can imagine. There has been no compelling argument beyond one that is intended to personally benefit you.

This conversation is complete. The explanations are done. Don’t like it, don’t engage the auctions with rules that don’t suit you.

Yes.

We’ve covered this ground already. Does not require a community decision. Why you’d think someone creating an auction would require the community (e.g., you) to dictate the terms onto them is absurd.

2 Likes

As @Tappy points out, there are a lot of folks showing up looking for free/cheap seeds…
If you kind of ‘squint at this with one eye closed’… that’s a little of what Over Grow is about.
I look at this more along the lines of a screening process. The sociopaths grab some seeds and split, but some of the others will look around and see what we are about a perhaps join in the fun.

Cheers
G

11 Likes

As long as you reply me I won’t consider ended this discussion. I am speaking of general rules for ALL auctions, OG rules, like only allowed to members, easily and automatically done by posting them in a category only accessible for them.

I am not speaking for my own profit, but for the whole community who would have more chances to get those strains. What’s the use of contributing, becoming a member or regular if a simple basic user can have access to all the benefits? Everything’s clear now, I would suggest you to close this thread, I promise you I won’t ever bid again in exchange … :sunglasses:

Good job Loki, pissed off another standing member/members.
I’ve brought this all up before and it’s turning out the same again.
Mr Tappy just made another good point, maybe powers that be need to make some addendums to their rules.

3 Likes

I appreciate his 10 hours of read time in 6 days though

3 Likes

His 4 posts here…

Edit.
After seeing what he wrote, he doesnt seem like a bad guy or like he has bad intentions. Maybe I’ll send him some anyway…just cause it seems like the right thing to do rather than not give him a chance. We were all new at some point, right?

10 Likes

Oh I know OleReynard. Not surprised you’ve come out of the woodwork to claim your piece (I doubt you’ve read anything either).

Nothing has changed, auction rules remain up to the auctioneer. Don’t like it, don’t bid in the auction.

Not surprising, it’s the same folk too…

4 Likes

4 Likes

@George from where I’m sitting, this is the issue. It’s not that we don’t want to hear what you have to say, but we’re all just repeating ourselves here.

And not for nothing, you’re not the one sharing the seeds… It’s starting to get a bit offensive that you keep wanting to impose limits on other people.

6 Likes

I think you’re actually exaggerating, I just do proposals. Thought this was an open thread to get ideas about what can be done. It was not me the one to entitle this thread “Limiting access to seed-runs, auctions & fundraisers”, my guess is it was a staff member who splitted it from the Shark-Tank discussion, so what’s offensive on this?

You’re buying the version “I want to impose” but accept this statement

while I open a poll for the people to decide:

Guess what? My proposal was winning, is that an imposition? My argument is this doesn’t bring quality members to the board, compelling or not that’s a fact, only attire the attention of seed hunters who take away the goodies that should remain for OG members, you can disagree with it, not say it is not compelling. And I see as more offensive you accusing me of being it when I am not, is that calling names?

1 Like

Proposal rejected, no more repeating of the same.

Closing topic, 3+ months and going nowhere.

5 Likes

For reference, here’s how things generally operate with seed-runs, auctions, and give-aways:

First off, thanks to all that sponsor a seed-run, auction, or give-away. The following is guidance on how participation requirements are generated:

Seed runs / Co-op : Rules for participation are up to the persons directly involved with the seed run.
The majority of seed-runs are limited by the organizers under a set of participation requirements
The person(s) involved with the run (and if there are organizers) can make such determinations and are also the ones that take on the burden of their decisions. This can be individuals or a group of individuals.

Auctions : Rules for participation are up to the auction sponsor (the person supplying the goods), with the guidance of the admin, to determine who should be able to participate along with any other requirements.

The person supplying the goods, owns the goods. Ownership is transferred to the winning bid. The community does not own the goods.

Give-aways : Same as with the auctions. Rules and requirements for participation are up to the sponsor of the give-away with the guidance of the admin.

Requirements / Rules for participation:
Typically, the rules/requirements for participation are listed in the first post (the OP) and will detail things such as the goal of the event, the community trust level required, and, from time to time, other requirements. Users should read the OP prior to participating. Requirements, of course, should not exclude classes of individuals (race, gender, etc).

The rules/requirements for each of these events may and do vary. Much of this is up to the sponsor that is providing the goods. If, as a participant, you do not meet the requirement stated in the OP, a user can attempt to attain those requirements or wait for the next opportunity. There are regular opportunities provided by the many generous folk here on OG.

If, as a participant, you do not agree with the requirements stated in the OP, you can choose not to participate and wait for the next opportunity where the requirements might be more to your liking.

Restrictions:
Overgrow is an inclusive community and we encourage interaction that promotes this. However, organizers/sponsors of an event can choose to limit the resultant burden on them along with targeting specific trust levels or other requirements. If you wish to organize an auction, give-away, or seed-run; you do have direct input on any requirements and how the event is structured (see above). Options also exist for semi-private interaction that can include the use of any current TL restricted areas along with group PMs.

Problems:
Participants that notice questionable activity that do not follow the site TOS, appear to be engaged in shill bidding, appear to be sock puppets, or are involved in nefarious activities are encouraged to reach out to TeamOG, the moderators, and/or the admin. Please do not take action on your own as perceptions do not always match reality. The leaders, moderators, and admin are capable of adjudicating questionable activity.

Thank you so much:
Thanks to all of the generous folk that find themselves in a position to sponsor an auction, give-away, or seed-run, so many to name. And, thanks to all of those that put their heart, sweat, and tears into making OG such a great place.

13 Likes