Overgrow.com: Let's Talk About the Future

Dear Overgrow Members,

I hope this message finds you well. Over the past year, I’ve been thrilled to see our community grow, with more members joining, rich discussions flourishing, and site activity increasing. It’s been inspiring to witness the enthusiasm and passion from everyone here. Honestly, it’s beyond what I imagined when I set out to revive Overgrow in 2016. A huge thank you to our dedicated members, incredible supporters, and caring moderators!

I don’t want the following thoughts to sound like a complaint, but I want to be transparent. While our traffic has grown, the number of supporters has declined over the past year. Support from members is essential not just to cover the costs of hosting, maintenance, and development, but also to allow me the time needed to continue improving the site. Occasional fundraising auctions have helped cover costs (thanks to our generous donors), but ongoing Patreon support is more sustainable and predictable.

Right now, the platform demands a significant amount of my time, on top of my full-time job. A lot of this is ‘behind the scenes’ work, so I may seem invisible at times, but trust me, my wife certainly notices the time! My duties include everything from providing technical support to resolving disputes, developing new features, and answering countless member inquiries. While we have an amazing team of moderators who keep the community safe and friendly, my responsibilities continue to expand as the site grows. I’m aiming to reduce my full-time job hours and focus more on the community, hoping to make this a half-time role with the potential for full-time dedication down the road.

Latest Improvements for Supporters

To show appreciation for those who’ve supported the platform, I’ve recently introduced new exclusive features (check out our Patreon for full list):

1. Dark Theme Mode: Embrace those late-night red-eye sessions!
  2. Follow a Member: Don’t miss any updates from your favorite growers or breeders.

Together with other site updates, these are just a glimpse of what I hope to continue developing with your support.

Introducing “Pledge What You Can”

I understand times are tough and budgets are tight, which is why I’m introducing a flexible “pledge what you can” feature, with support starting as low as $3 per month. I hope this makes it easier for more members to contribute while staying within their means.

Support us on Patreon :muscle:

How to pledge what you can using Patreon? Click here

To join our Patreon, please follow the link:
https://www.patreon.com/join/Overgrowcom

There is a Make custom pledge button in the bottom of the page.

custom pledge

:bulb: Please consider signing up for an annual membership if possible, as there are significant savings on fees.

Your Feedback is Important

Here’s where I need your help. I’d love to hear your thoughts on how we can encourage more members to become supporters:

1. What would motivate more members to support the site? Are there specific features or perks that would resonate with the community?
  2. How can I better communicate the importance of support to new members? I want to make sure everyone understands why member support is crucial to keeping the platform running.
  3. For current supporters: What inspired you to contribute, and how can I improve your experience as a supporter?

Your feedback is crucial as I work toward balancing my responsibilities and growing the platform. By increasing the number of supporters, I’ll be able to reduce my full-time work hours and dedicate more time to the site. That’s a shift that will benefit all of us as the platform grows.

Thank you for your continued support and for being part of what makes this community so special. I’m eager to hear your thoughts!

Overgrow the interwebs!
LemonadeJoe

97 Likes

Exclusivity in relation to seed runs. Reserved for TL-3 and TL-2 that are also supporters.

14 Likes

Thank you @LemonadeJoe that all seems very reasonable to me! I help manage a much less active forum at my work, and doing it well is a giant time sink.

I joined as a Supporter because I can afford a very small cost like this per month, and I am clear on the concept that nothing in the world exists truly “free”. If it is “free” for me it is because someone donated time / money / other resources to make it available, or else was able to profit enough from my presence to fund it (such as by selling my data or ad placement). I prefer to pay in a “visible” way when I can afford it.

Thank you for doing this.

I think that making extra supporter features available is a good strategy.

Another thing that might get me to contribute more would be to be able to provide an anonymous “gift” supporter level membership for 6 months or a month or a year to people on the forum whom I feel bring a lot of value to the community. Other warm and fuzzy extras that could be “gifted” in appreciation to other members might be a fun monetization also. I’m not sure what is available that wouldn’t also burden your time.

@AppalachianBiscuits here is a feature you mentioned wishing for, now you could stalk @Foreigner properly! :wink::rofl:

31 Likes

This seems reasonable to have a support requirement to participate in things you may personally benefit from and would help push things to increase support as mentioned. I would think you could still gift any member anything you wish But in order to participate in a stated giveaway, you would need to meet the support level. Seems very reasonable. Cheers !!!

8 Likes

As soon as I’m financially stable again I would love to support the patreon. I just lost my job.and haven’t been exactly raking in the cash lately. Ice already gained so much from this sight in more ways than one. I would feel guilty continuing to participate in wikis and receiving free stuff without contributing back to OG in some way. Id like to do so by creating and sharing seeds and genetics but I’m a ways off from doing so sustainably. I think the patreon is a fantastic idea and the new tier is more than reasonable and affordable.

8 Likes

When it comes to members being banned, is their support status considered before termination?

4 Likes

One criticism people say to me in private is that there has been an uptick, noticably so over the last year, in negativity and drama.

I have no solutions to offer, as my solution is to bail on these situations.

But it seemed to me that this feedback is relevant to the positive support and engagement you are seeking.

I wish overgrow the best, so that is the sincere comments i have heard from others. That the negativity or drama needs to be curbed for a more enjoyable experience.

Also,

People are pretty broke nowadays. You might be seeing the secondary effects of that (less support.)

15 Likes

I support OG financially because I can afford the annual fee and because, as @RainToday (:wave:) has pointed out, nothing is free, including in the digital world. (Oooo, listen to me with this digital world stuff, I sound almost as if I know what the heck I’m talking about! lol (1)) I love this place! There are so many fine people here. How could you not love it. And I’m really happy I’m able to support OG. Let’s Overgrow the World! And can I get a big Fuck Cancer!

42 Likes

Sold!

That slick canook did a whole giveaway and I didn’t find out until too late.

22 Likes

I was part of a forum years ago where on April fools Day they had a fundraiser where you could change another users little tag.

I assumed this is where @Pawsfodocaws got his rocks licked, but after getting to know them, I think they actually lick rocks.

13 Likes

Hey there! I truly appreciate what you’re doing with this forum, the new update is top notch for me even I probably don’t use even half of all the possibilities lol therefor I increased my monthly support and doubled it.

I think a good idea would be to limit all the seed increases to supporters which was stated above if I understood correctly. Maybe more people would spent 3€/month just to have the possibility to get lots and lots of seeds which is imo worth way more than that.

Greetz

8 Likes

I totally do. :rofl: youll meet them, were around :wink:. And yes thats how i got the custom title.

7 Likes

I haven’t been here long but have been doing my best to give back to the community as I have already received a lot of trades and met a lot of cool people. I donate to the Patreon as I understand it takes a lot of time and money to run this thing behind closed doors. I also understand that financially everyone might not be able to. This is just an idea but maybe once more perks are added to the Patreon we can have an option to gift other OG Members Patreon memberships.

I like @RainToday idea of adding gifts for Patrons members of 3month, 6month, 1 year. @LemonadeJoe if this is something that is considered I would love to work on designing and 3d printing something for gifts. Maybe a magnetic plaque with a cool design and OG member username. This is just an idea but anything is possible.

15 Likes

You are doing a great and Big job here thanks to take half of your life Time for all of us
:pray::heart_on_fire:

8 Likes

I support OG for all the knowledge I have stolen from posters and made my own and the girls. I stopped signing up for Co-op seed runs and rarely signup for giveaways anymore.

@DirtySlowToes It doesnt stop moderation or time-outs.

6 Likes

I’m digging @longtooth 's idea about certain seed runs being reserved for supporters. You could distribute some of the leftovers, if any are left :wink:, through auctions after initial distribution. The auction part may not help with predictability, but could bring in a few bucks… better than nothing. Perhaps a mechanism would be needed here to prevent people from pulling the ole sign up for eligibility and cancel immediately trick. Must remain a supporter throughout the seed run… something along those lines.

Communication importance of support… On aside from most of what you’ve already written about the amount of work involved, perhaps a reminder to consider what positive impacts OG had on their grow (Genetic diversity, methods, skill set, etc.) and try to give back what you take out.

What inspired me to contribute…I pilfered so much damn information as a lurker from both the old & new OG that becoming a supporter seemed like it would help even the score a little. What can I say…I’d still be buying grass of unknown quality if I didn’t learn the things I’ve learned here.

12 Likes

FUCK CANCER Yes indeed

16 Likes

Thank you! d8JBdDJ

6 Likes

I am a bailer as well. I haven’t been around long enough to have a baseline for the normal amount of drama so I can’t comment on any changes in frequency, but when I notice it, I tend to bail on the thread regardless of topic.
I have no solution to this either, it could be an overreaction on my part.
I don’t think I’ll ever have a firm grasp on the angry stoner paradox.

11 Likes