MadScientist's 3rd Annual 16oz Cup Competition šŸ

LOL I got schooled on litfa but no you need to go to indoor growing and start a thread for your log I think the moderator might be able to move it for you if you put it somewhere else

2 Likes

Seeds must be started on June 1st not beforeā€¦

Mandatory 12 hour flip July 1 I believe

Roots must be contained within the 16oz cup, any escaping must be trimmed, pics of root ball must be taken when asked and upon completionā€¦

All rules are listed aboveā€¦ Itā€™s almost game time all

9 Likes

Signed up! This came up pretty fast!

1 Like

Wishing I had the spaceā€¦ but will be watching to check this out!

3 Likes

Well I had a couple seeds in my recent batch on the 16th that didnā€™t make it through the soil so Iā€™ll gues Iā€™ll get my feet wet and enter my 1st event this go around ! Looks to be fun!

Hope my weather warms up soon mine will be grown outside under the good olā€™ Sun!

13 Likes

Is a 16oz pot of different shape ok? I might join to test some hardware, but Iā€™d have severe height limitations.

4 Likes

Nevermind, I wonā€™t rush it. I will just watch this one.

2 Likes

I really wanted to join in with this but my small tent is currently occupied with my fem seed plants project. Good luck to all that enter :+1:

7 Likes

Throw something in that can get pollinated maybe?

3 Likes

Iā€™d have to grow start to finish under 12/12 @Pedro_Bann and I donā€™t know if thatā€™s within the rules.
Edit - I suppose I could veg in my greenhouse then bring indoors the day we all flip?? :thinking:

6 Likes

I canā€™t enter on this but kinda gutted cos Iā€™ve been running a UK Cheese auto in a solo cup an the other day I checked the roots on it and I was amazed. Pain in the backside to daily water though :rofl:

11 Likes

Yeah I work 8 till 6 most days and by time Iā€™m home I canā€™t be bothered with anything. Thatā€™s one of the reasons I bought an autopot system mate :+1:

7 Likes

Alright, so I have built my mini dwc system, so here are some shots to show how it works, and so that yaā€™ll can see that I have no plans to cheat and that the setup is within the rulesā€¦ tbh, I could care less about winning anyway, itā€™s the challenge that counts!

So the bucket is just the nutrient rez. the two blue tubes are gravity drains back into the bucket

Looking down into the 16oz cup, there is a 4 mm tube that pipes the rez water up from the bucket, roots cannot get into this tube or the thing will fail.

So a shot of the mini pump, and the aeration stone in the rez, like I say, for the roots to get out, they are going to have to go via the pump :grin:

The completely assembled setup.

Any feedback of course is welcomeā€¦

23 Likes

All looks amazing man! Youā€™ll just need to keep the roots inside that cup but that is some genius engineering

8 Likes

Looks awesomeā€¦but I know rootsā€¦there going to get down that 4mm hole, you gotta do something about that, and not sure what. That hole is where water is pumped up? Or do I have that wrong?

8 Likes

Yeah, sure looks like it. I like the idea, butā€¦ friends donā€™t let friends do DWC :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

Yep, I had thought of that, itā€™s getting 200l per hour up that 4mm hole. I can most prob put some 80 micron stainless mesh over it, but I just canā€™t see roots growing up the end of a flowing hose and though the pump impeller?

[quote=ā€œReikoX,
Yeah, sure looks like it. I like the idea, butā€¦ friends donā€™t let friends do DWC :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
[/quote]

It will have humic/fluvic,guano and tri kelp in he rez bro,other than a bit of maxibloom itā€™s 8/10thā€™s a bucket of organic shit, just liquid like :wink:

1 Like

I like it, the flow pipes will hold the cup in place as well. Iā€™m finding with the auto Iā€™ve got in my solo cup is very easily knocked over as itā€™s getting very top heavy. Very clever though be interested in to see how it goes though :+1:

3 Likes

so i went out and picked up some solo cups. the only thing i could find were 18 oz and 12 oz. i hope thats ok. i took the 18 oz.

2 Likes

Worst case scenario could always trim the cup some. I was debating on using these mini pots I had laying around but ran into same problem, ironically theres a ring around the inside

but Iā€™ll prolly just run straight solo cups and use the gray cup to play around with.

6 Likes