Making Organics Work Commercially

Are you saying the amount of ammendments to be added were half of the suggested amount or the cost was half the price of using a traditional bottled nutrient line?

1 Like

Rabbit poop!! Good source of npk and the best part is you can use it right out of the rabbits buttšŸ˜ no worry of ā€œthe burnā€. Can you feel it? Uhh yea it feels good. . .hahahah
Edit- I also like using good old fashion cow poop,got to compost it for at least a year but, I live on a ranch so Iā€™ve got plenty of it, Iā€™ll send some straight to your door, in a bag. . . On fire lol jk

3 Likes

When submitting my soil for testing I asked for organic amendment suggestions based on the nutrient needs of hemp. Unfortunately, hemp is a pretty low nutrient demand crop and drug type cannabis is very nutrient thirsty. The amount of amendments to be added should have been double what the soil tests suggested. We only added what they suggested and regretted it almost immediately.

Iā€™m not sure what the cost difference would be between doing commercial organic and bottled nutrient lines. I ran the price comparison between organics and nutrient lines at a hobby scale years ago and the organics cost me about 1/10 of the price of even the cheaper nutrient lines, so Iā€™ve been full organic ever since. When I looked at doing a 30,000 square foot grow I honestly didnā€™t even put those nutrient lines on the table as an option. If I had to guess Iā€™d say doing organics at commercial scale would easily be 1/20 of the price of those nutrient lines. The disparity between hobby and commercial scale organic, when compared to nutrient lines, is based on the fact that you receive massive price discounts for buying bulk organic amendments.

3 Likes

Ah ok gotcha. Yea when I was growing medical it was a major savings. Was doing Botanicare bc it was easy. Once my system was rolling and it was clockwork I tried to reengineer it a bit backwardsā€¦ I started using less bottles like liquid Karma and adding leonardite/humics to the medium and a little to the rez. Would brew teas of things like Jamaican bat guano during peak flowering. I quit doing that bc of particle issues but would then started brew separately, strain/filtering the tea then add that to irrigation/feed rez.
I always wanted to have my full brew funky teas to be one in the same as my irragation rez but I just add so much stuff to it I donā€™t think itā€™s possible to filter out directly from brew to line the way I do it. Maybe itā€™s just best I brew first separately then add it to the rez like I was doing. But for example this last round I did which was just a personal one, I had a big 30gal (aprox size) rubbermaid type container bubbling 24/7 and would add ammendments without a tea bag (though I started w tea bags but ended up just leaving them in there and started adding stuff straight up like a stew). with this stew I would hand water by just dipping a pitcher and going straight to the pots (depending on the stew of the week, I would sometimes add water to a pitcher filled 1/3-2/3 filled with stew if I thought it was too hot but usually not) With this stew I would never empty jit all the way when dipping pitchers, once it got down to 25% remaining, I would add more water and mix more shit in. Sometimes I would just take a pitcher or two out and then replace the water.

Wow, not sure where I was going with thatā€¦ but with a ā€œsuper soilā€, cover crop, and teas/ammended irragtion is obviously totally the way to do it.

More of the question I have here is best way to automate and streamline the process. This is also tough for me bc I know with organics Iā€™m always tweaking what I give them based on how quick the stuff breaks down into usable nutes for the plants and also based on the needs of the plants. Maybe I just am overthinking and over complicating this, as organics should really be the opposite.

@Dumme would love to hear more about your methods of aquaponics. I lived in the roaring fork valley for a while and there was this great aquaponic farm made by this guy who taught renewable farming techno I would go check out. I need to find his info and share it bc he really did some great stuff. Iā€™ll try to find it

3 Likes

Well, I have a 4ftx8ftx4ft concrete tank that I cycle about 4-6 times an hour. Between the Filters and the tanks, its about 5000L of water. I use a waterfall pump to push the water around the system in a 1.5in PVC pipe. I use an aeroponic method with 2ft culverts as aero chambers. You can follow my thread here:

4 Likes

Great! Thanks @Dumme

Thatā€™s good shit

1 Like

@Swampthing I just saw you said you have used botanicare before. I have some botanicare KIND base and grow. . . Would this be the same that you have used?

Never used the Kind lineā€¦ pure blend and PBPro is what Iā€™ve used

1 Like

Lol ok Iā€™m just too sissy to use it so I was looking for info hehe but thanks bro. . .your gear is looking great btw!