Male plants growing questions

I have a few different strains of Reg Auto, I am hoping for males for pollen since the post office cant be trusted to ship in a timely enough fashion to get pollen while its still viable. But it raises some questions for me.

1. I have a 2x2x4 tent, Will 150w Mars Hydro Light be enough for male plants or should I see if I can get my 400w light to fit in the tent?

2. Are the nutrient requirements for male plants the same as female plants or do they require more? Less?

3. Does better lighting and feeding improve the quality of the pollen at all or is that strictly based on genetics?

4)Any thing else I should know about growing out a male plant that I have not thought to ask(yes I know pollen can get everywhere lol)

1. Any certian way that I have to dry pollen to insure maxium viability? I know once its dried it should be stored in the freezer.
1 Like

People sent me pollen a bunch of time, so have i , it works. @JohnnyPotseed got my unicorn poop pollen from @NDNCHILD and made Frankieā€™s ponie amongst others. Iā€™ve made beans with pollen sent. Pollen in the mail is OK if sent timely.

5 Likes

I see a lot of people with yellowed out males. Personally I like to give my males the same love and attention as the females.Imo the healthier the male is the healthier his pollen will be as well.

I feel this all impacts everything. And im not sure anyone could prove this one way or another. But whats a little extra nutrients gonna hurt your pocket? Youre making seeds for a reason. Leave no doubt you did your best to set them up for success.

6 Likes

Oh I know, just that the PO took 2 weeks to get the pollen to Ohio from Ok, and I dont think it is still viable, because i have noticed no changes to the plants i pollenated with it. I did hit them again with a different baggie, so hopefully I luck out and get fertlization.

1 Like

I understand. Express shipping is the best option imo.

2 Likes

Very generally speaking, males should be treated same as females.

Oh, and get ā€œvolatileā€ mail shipped in the Winter, if it can wait. This goes for seeds, colognes/perfumes, etc. Iā€™ve ordered colognes in the Summer and they show up BOILING HOT and leaking at the collar, kind of a mess. No more. If it can wait, it waits.

5 Likes

clones too, right?

4 Likes

I read somewhere that males can take a lot less light, a lot less nutes, and in General a lot more abuse than females, tho I cant find where i read it now.

Iā€™ve been known to use the karate kick method here and there on my males to create a cloud of pollenšŸ’Ø
but I feed them good lol

2 Likes

LMAO, well I have a Pollen collection box so I dont really need to go quite that far!

1 Like

But as fun as the off topic stuff is, could we focus on these questions first before going way way off topic? Lmao

1. 150W will be great.

2. You can feed them the same. Definitely wonā€™t need more.

3. I have no hard evidence but I donā€™t think itā€™s going to make a difference as long as the male is in good health.

4. I always use the pollen fresh off of the plant. I have dried it once for later use and let it sit in a dry environment for a few days then sealed it in a bag and then in a jar with a desiccant pack.

1 Like

just an off topic thing i found funny. The company Vevor, is pretty clueless on grow tents, even tho they sell them, I just saw an ad for a 5x5 grow tent so i went to their page on it, and their suggested lighting for a 5x5 space was 200w-300w! I mean maybe if you want to grow straight up lettuce or ONLY plants listed as FULL SHADE. But Can you guess how a new grower would feel if they bought a 5x5 tent put a 200w light in it and tried growing cannabis?? Just WOW lol hell i have 400w in my SMALL 31"x32"x63" tent and 500w in my 4x4! Hell a quick google search would have told them they need 600w minium in that size tent lol

1 Like