When Growing out a male plant

When im growing out a male in a seperate tent, does it need all the same things that a female plant does, as far as an intake and exghust fan? Or is it good with just a light and water? I have read a bunch of places that male plants dont require the attn that a female does, just not sure HOW much it needs.

I am setting up a 2x2 tent for when I start running Reg Auto Seeds so I can seperate out any males that pop up and collect the pollen from them. Not really sure what all I need in the tent for a male tho.

2 Likes

I grew mine the same, the just get pulled much earlier most times.

6 Likes

Small light. I don’t use a fan because I don’t want to blow to pollen around.

5 Likes

Probably gotta keep humidity down if you want fertile pollen.
I imagine 100% humidity would be detrimental.

3 Likes

I have a Mars Hydro 150w Led for the new tent but I can dim it what would you suggest running it at? 25%,50%, or 75%?

1 Like

I have a Small Dehumidifer I can throw in that tent so I should be good there.

1 Like

What about the extra heat from the dehumidifier? Could be good coukd be bad depending on the room temps.

1 Like

Im in a Basement and the room its in even in the hottest days in summer only gets to about 78-84F, shouldnt be too much of an issue, I wouldnt think. Or at least I hope it isnt.

1 Like

It’s going to raise that temp inside the tent if there’s no exhaust.

3 Likes

I have a 4 in fan I can put in as a Exhaust fan if that would help?

Yea, I’d vent outside personally. If you dump the warmer air into the room the tent draws from it’s going to raise the room temp etc etc. You only have a 150 watt light so maybe it’ll be a non issue. Just something to think about

2 Likes

Not so much, I tend to avoid extraction, and fans as I’ve had entire flower tents accidentally seeded this way. A carbon filter may stop all pollen, or it may not. I wouldn’t bank on it. You can just abuse the males in general, they are pretty good at taking the punishment and still producing plenty of pollen. Mine get stuck in an isolated spot a long way from anything and then mostly neglected. I hardly even water them. Treat em mean, keep em keen imo. lol.

3 Likes

The tents will be in totally seperate rooms with a door seperating them if that makes a difference?

1 Like

That will reduce the risk for sure, but that damn pollen is sneaky, it finds a way, it will even invisibly cling to your clothing and skin and find a way to rub off on your fems, so you need to exercise a bit of caution when going from one grow space to another to avoid accidental seeds, your best bet as someone else mentioned would be to vent to outside if you find temps require extraction.

2 Likes

Already got the parts in my cart to split the hose on my Dryer Vent so that i can run the exhaust fan outside. Hope no one is growing outside near me LMAO.

1 Like

you can use a hepa filter to stop the pollen. buy the largest one there is and unfold it, then cut pieces off of it and wrap them around the carbon filter or the exhaust vent. that’s the theory anyway, i’ll let you know if it works for sure when i start breeding this fall. fingers crossed anyway.

3 Likes

pricy but they make them.

if you buy a very large filter for a furnace, you can unfold them and cover the vent with it. that’s how we made homemade n-95 masks out of cloth masks for the covid. you can get hundreds of them out of one large one. no need to waste money on a purpose built one, unless you just have it to throw away. if you do, throw some my way.

2 Likes

To avoid contamination between the rooms, you can moist yourself everywhere with a sprayer of water after visiting the males, wash your hands. You’ll be wet, but safe. Or use a paintsuit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shit I wish I had it to throw away lol, Only reason I can really get anything is my girl loves me and lets me spend 50 a month on amazon. I may or may not have a job here soon tho, not counting on it, but its a possiblity.