Mantis Buffered Nutrients *Help Please*

Yeah it’s pretty thick. It’s about the size of those mini wooden bats you’d get as a souvenir at a baseball game. I assume it’s better as an outdoor plant, especially the fashion which it grew…I didn’t expect it to take up the whole tent. Was hoping to grow 4 or 5 small plants. 1 was from bagseed and ended up Male, three others were showing both male and female sex which the breeder said was common and they are discontinuing it, and this is the last hope right here.

So I would use about 3 or 3 1/2 liters of water, start watering slowly from the outside parameter, wait a minute then a little more around the outside, slowly working towards the inside to the stem. Enough would dribble out of the bottom to maybe 1/2 to 1 liter runoff which I would discard. Once a day.

I kept blowing on my screen…finally realized it was your profile pic lol

1 Like

I’d like to see the rootball when you chop it.

1 Like

Absolutely. Maybe there’s a problem at the roots? From your experience do you think judging by the pics that I might make it to harvest another 4 to 5 weeks? I can upload some more tomorrow. I was stupid to pick a nutrient that nobody has used or really heard of. I thought it would help me get my feet wet with growing but seemed to throw me in the deep end with problems…I appreciate all the help from you and everyone else. Just trying to keep my sanity while counting down the days.

1 Like

It’s hard to say. Definitely looking like its hungry but isnt feeding right. Most people like to jump on the PH bandwagon being to root of all causes… but not sure how you got this far with a bad PH, it would have shown alot sooner.

The dropped down curl makes me thing rootbound/overwatering . were they like that before the overwatering? It could be just shitty fertz and nothing you did wrong.

Your soil makeup leaves you no room for error.

1 Like

4-5 weeks… idk… I’d get some new fertz

1 Like

Is this your first grow using this fabric pot? Looks really dirty on the outside… so you have been flushing buildup out maybe.

1 Like

It’s been showing a little bit of magnesium deficiencies since the beginning and then some calcium too. The pot is new, it’s just a little buildup on the outside from salts. I’m not sure how it’d be overwatered though since I wait until the pot is light and the very top of coco starts to turn lighter colored before watering…maybe shouldn’t water until runoff?

3gal pot shouldn’t take but 1itter of watering at a time. With that size of a plant in that 3gal pot it should be getting fed every other day. If you are watering until is running out, that’s overwatering.

The coco perlite mix is just a base medium that’s doesn’t have any soil nutrients. You should be at least adding worm castings. I would think you would want to feed every other watering or every other 2. Might want to play with it.

2 Likes

I’m willing to switch nutes I just don’t know how and if that’s more risky or not? Like flushing the PH buffered mantis out, I don’t know how it’d react to adding a regular PHd water.

As far as watering, I thought with coco you need to water until runoff and don’t let it dry out so maybe it was having a negative effect on uptake since I was watering until runoff every day. I’ll slow it down as suggested. I dimmed the lights a little too because it seems there’s some foxtail starting on the buds closest to the light. Got tons of red stems and striping… here’s a few closeups,

5 Likes

I don’t think you should change nutes at this stage, maybe for the next grow. Plant doesn’t look bad, it’s normal to fade and lose some old leaves in the bottom, you may stress her if you start with drastic changes … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. Waiting is probably the safe bet. It’s weird that it looks hungry for nutrients yet has nutrient burn.

1 Like

I agree with @George that it’s phosphorus. Phos deficiency I think can occur from overwatering too.

4 Likes

Do not use cannabis specific foods. Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro start to finish.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve always been told not to let coco dry out and make sure to water until runoff every time, which would be every day. Is that just misleading info or maybe I had too much runoff?

1 Like

Doesnt look bad? What the hell? Its starting to look like shit…

1 Like

Yeah it’s looking pretty bad. It’s more clear in person than the photos and looks pretty bad.

Yeah you shouldn’t let coco go completely dry. I always use perlite in mine though because I find it easier to use. Some people say you can’t over water coco, which I don’t agree with, if it’s 100% coco.

The other thing I thought of is that cold temps at the roots I think can also be a cause. But your pots are elevated and it seems like temps are ok.

3 Likes

Im looking at the upper part of the plant and it looks okay to me. You have burnt tips on the leaves so it’s had plenty of nitrogen I’d say. The buds look perfectly happy.

I’d say remove old leaves and thin it a bit to let more airflow under the canopy to prevent them from spreading any molds or fungus. 33 days into flower I wouldn’t add much nitrogen if any. It may be that it grew so fast early and now all the old growth is dying naturally since flowering has started. Phosphorous could be off but the upper part looks pretty normal. Some plants are hard to dial in perfectly.

2 Likes