Green Crack outdoor grow from clone

Hey guys,
this topic is gonna be pretty plain for a while (veg isn’t the most interesting part of our hobby), but I figure I’d start it and update it as I go. Any dates are approximate, because I suck at keeping track of things or taking pictures when interesting things happen, but I’m trying to improve on that and next grow will be more documented.

I got a teen clone (3" rockwool cube) from a dispensary in Southern CA around Memorial Day and transplanted it the same day into my own rich organic soil mix (no supersoil yet) and kept it indoors while it settled. Looked pretty fucked up at first since it was used to synthetics and it started yellowing pretty fast. I top dressed with some supersoil I had mixed up to help it out, but I didn’t want to go back to synthetics so it still looked a bit light green and bottom leaves were yellowing (nitrogen deficient), but once the roots became established it stopped getting any worse. It stayed stagnant for about a week or week and a half so I figured I would acclimate it outside for a couple days and then just left it out. I was also training it during this time (lst, which the dispensary had started a bit because they were running out of room) By the two or two and a half week mark it was growing like crazy and outgrew the 3 gallon pot I had it in during week 3, so the bottom leaves started yellowing again lol. I transplanted it into it’s final 7 gallon pot with pure super soil at the bottom and it took off like a rocket! Check it out:

I think it was about 3-4 feet in that pic and it started out at around 3 feet (I then lst’d it to a little over 2) so not much height difference, but it was all skin and bones compared to how bushy it is now. You could clearly see every bit of the main stem when I got it and now you can’t without looking under the canopy and moving some leaves out of the way. It was actually getting a little too lanky because of the heat so I lst’d it further yesterday and here it is today:

It looks like a table made of leaves lol. I trip out how it’s been almost the same height throughout the grow, but it’s just bushing out constantly. I love LST (and suppercropping which I did by accident lol)!

Anyways that’s it for now, I’ll post some pictures once it begins to flower or if I lst it again.

18 Likes

Looks like you are well into it.

Say, is it humid where you are, evenings or early mornings?

If so, you may want to thin out just a little underneath to keep air flowing.

Otherwise, keep on doing whatever it is you are doing. Gonna rock the house soon enough.

3 Likes

I trimmed two branches before to clone and was thinking about trimming the others on the bottom. However, I don’t really like to trim branches unless I try to root them and it’s hot inside especially with a grow light. Is cloning outdoors in the shade possible? The temp doesn’t really get lower than 70c right now and if it got much colder I would bring it inside. Humidity is 63% right now (6pm) but is usually 53-55% in the daytime and I’ve seen it as high as 83% at night.
Here’s a pick of under the canopy. Do you think I should trim the last two branches off?

3 Likes

Id say LITFA bro! You could trim those 2 yellowed leaves off though if your feeling spunky

6 Likes

Since 99% liked your post, I take it he also thinks I should LITFA lol. Will do guys. KISS all the way.

4 Likes

Couple of thoughts…

The plant will not lose a whole lot of ground with judicious pruning, but will simply transfer the excess capacity to other parts of the plant.

I have very good luck cloning in a north facing window, I suspect a shady spot outside would work well.

This is Powdery Mildew and Botrytis territory. Be sure to clear the under growth and move this plant away from other plants for max air flow. Hate to see you lose it all on a foggy night.

I would take branches, run for clones even if I had no intention of using them and set this up for massive upper nug structures!

3 Likes

I know, isn’t @99PerCent the best! Hes always helping out and i thank him
P.s do what he says

2 Likes

Yeah I def want to get that oregano plant out of there. The watermelon on the left has latched onto the fence so I can’t really move it anymore. About the branches, I don’t know I’ll think about it. I’m on the fence. I’ll let you know what I decide.

3 Likes

Manual like override - for the whole page
And one day @99PerCent I’ll have as many pips as you and someone will tell you oh HOODINI liked it it must be true lol must be a good feeling

Sorry @MisticHaze I cluttered your thread

2 Likes

WTF does manual like override mean? LOL. I’ve seen it everywhere on here. I take it it’s some sort of meme, but care to fill me in a bit more.

I’ll prob cut those two lower branches off tomorrow since they are close to the watermelon that I can’t move. Fuck it. Hopefully they’ll root and I can give them away to someone.

Decisions, decisions…

4 Likes

Lol we are allotted so many likes per day to use in a positive manner for praiseworthy posts and thread and not to be used wildly and flamboyantly and needless to say I’m out of likes so I pull out the old manual override

i’m curious about how H2O2 spray works on caterpillars & their eggs.

just started getting the invasion and i’m probably chopping 9 days before planned.

soooooo wary of spraying anything at all at wk7 flower… ugh. :confounded:

but, fwiw, i took some samples a week ago & 2day quick-dried & am actually impressed, so i know they won’t be “bad”…just not much amber trich’s yet.

:evergreen_tree: [sigh]

3 Likes

It will destroy them! Hahahaha and any soft bodied organism. . . Including the good ones too. . . So this is a good “every once in a great while” IMMEDIATE quick fix. . . Be caution spraying on your buds. . . Though I have been told it’s fine I still worry about potency loss. . . It’s awesome for non aerated soil or hard clay like I have. . .it breaks down within a few hours and releases O2 (and of course H2) into the soil

2 Likes

I think I came up with a compromise. I took out the oregano plant and trained some bottom branches upward to get more airflow near the medium. It kinda has a wind tunnel thing going on since there is usually a gust blowing through the area and I can see the leaves near the bottom moving with the gusts. If I do get some sort of fungus then I accept it was my fault and you guys tried to warn me. Here’s the bottom of the canopy again (both sides)

4 Likes

That’s a beautiful plant! I hope it makes it through the season.

1 Like

Lol you’ve got that lattice behind it anyway bro you did great!
Edit it might have a fence behind it lol but either way good job

Me too. The reason why I decided not to do anything major is that my buddy grew a plant in the same spot with flowers and cilantro all around it (literally planted in the medium around the cannabis plant, so almost no airflow on the medium and vegetation all around). I thought he was crazy, but he was able to harvest some pretty nice bud.

Granted, his wasn’t trained so flat like mine, but I’m gonna roll the dice

5 Likes

Exactly @99PerCent . That’s the best way to word and explain trimming plants, not to mention… clones are the plus

@MisticHaze how big of a pot are they in? Sorry if I missed but are they in coco soil? Peat based soil? Nutrients? Looking killer. I would certainly give them a good haircut as 99 said. Perfect time of the year too… reduce messy growth and focusing on the shape of your future flower structure. Will grow back very quick in a more organized manner that’ll make more uniform big bud sites rather than a lot of smaller under stuff that I also has a greater chance of things like PM and bugs. I emphasize how surprised you’ll be how quickly they grow huge once you shave under her skirt.
If your cut is the Green Crack know, she’s got big ole colas. Great strain. Keep up the good work, whatever you’re doing the plants are looking super healthy.

Peas
Swampy

3 Likes