Micro fans and carbon filters?

I have put some thought into this idea. So my thinking is that an easy way to do this would be with a project box and 2 or 4, 120 mm blower fans. The blower fans have the higher static pressure giving them better capacity to push air through the carbon. So again, I have not tried this, but I have thought to ‘divide’ your project box with some of that carbon filter foam, you could fill in between the divisions with activated carbon.
Then if you run your blower fans 2X back to back and next to each other, you could cut holes in your project box at both ends, one being the outlet, the other being where the blower fans are attached. The blower fans then push air from the cabinet through the project box filled with carbon and filter foam and out the hole/exit on the other side. Again, using the blower fans like this increases the amount of static pressure, and will increase the amount of flow through the filter.
With the right bits, this could be easily put together in a few hours IMHO.

3 Likes

Could be a good design, but I’ve never had luck with diy carbon scrubbers. The problem is if there’s one small channel for air to get through it will every time and it’s all for naught. Its very hard to pack it properly.

I found these they look pretty interesting, they just stick onto your box with adhesive, I’m not sure how I feel about that lol

https://www.flowerfilters.co/

1 Like

Oh man, they can’t even spell ‘ventilation’.

5 Likes

Missed that…nice lol. Good looking crabun filters though!

2 Likes

Yeah, if I had known about them when I was building my last two cabinets, I may have worked it in to the design. Just today I ordered a 4 inch filter and fan (hope it’s quiet) to try to keep a couple of my stinky mothers in check and then I see this of course. Good to know, thanks :+1:

2 Likes

Hi guys, have a look at this :wink:

I have this fan too, it’s really quiet with a fan controller.
You can hardly hear it.
Excellent for stealth.

3 Likes

So you can set this up to push air into your environment (forced air) or pull air from your environment (induction). Or a combination of both depending on the situation, equipment etc.

Induction will draw fresh air into the cabinet through any leaks. Induction is easier with small motors and not as noisy usually.

Forced air will push air in and will push the smell out through leaks while making some whistle etc.

Either way male pollen, pests and mold spores if they are in the area can enter. Filtering is good

3 Likes

Good stuff, thanks everyone! So far I’m leaning towards being the guinea pig for those premade fans/filters. Looks like about $55 for the combo…not bad

2 Likes

I have mine set up as passive intake.

1 Like

He there. My name is Dan. I work for Flower Carbon Filters. I am happy to answer any questions you have about the filter. The filter was designed for cabinet grows where space and noise is a concern. The adhesive is super strong for easy installation and an airtight seal. The filters have been thoroughly tested and offered on all Dealzers and Modern Grow Cabinets. We’ve been tested by several other cabinet companies and will be on their units soon. Sorry about the misspelling! We have sent our website guy to the Gulag for missing that!:grin: Let me know if I can answer anything.

3 Likes

Hey Dan, interesting product you guys have there. What do you do when the filter is expired and stuck to the side of your box?

Thanks for the question. There is a filter block that pops in and out of the mount (which is stuck to the box). So all you do is pull out the old carbon block and replace it with a fresh block. Unlike any other carbon filters, we use solid blocks of extruded carbon, not granulated. 1mm channels run the distance of the block, allowing air to tumble through as the odor absorbs in the wall. Because of this technology, these filters create significantly less air restriction than any home made box of granulated carbon or can-style filter. The distance of the channels has been fine tuned to allow enough contact time for absorption. This means they can be used with quiet low-velocity fans, like a PC fan.

3 Likes

Hey Dan,

Cool looking product you have there I just thought I’d say.

1 Like

That’s a good solution, thanks. I’m planning on building a small cabinet sometime soon. If I do I’ll definitely try one of your combos and let everyone know how it goes…looks like a really useful niche product

Please link the replacement filters with price. Nice price point for this item. I like that it is variable speed control capable too.

When I follow the Amazon link it shows this [speed control]…as compatible.

1 Like

Thanks for the question. Replacement blocks cost $20 and can be found here. Most blocks last 6 months to a year. Many customers just keep a replacement on stand-by. With so many factors effecting activated carbon efficacy, it is difficult to give an exact expiry date.

As for the fan, we pair the filter with the AC Infinity Multifan S2. We’ve added an adhesive backing on the fan for easy peel and stick installation. The filter sticks on the inside of the exhaust hole and the fan sticks on the outside. No need for ducting or hardware. The fan blows at a 90 degree angle, which means the grow box can be pressed up against a wall and still get circulation. It comes standard with a speed controller built in for fine-tuning. The fan also comes standard with a USB plug. You can plug it into any cell phone charger or USB outlet. We also sell power adapters for this. You can always source your own fan, we just sell this one for it’s upgraded features.

4 Likes

Got this in the mail the other day. About $120 CAD to my door here in Canada, not too bad. Would be a great price without the shipping. Its a nice unit and seems very well put together, I’ll be building a little multi purpose cab soon and putting this on it so will update with results.

Got it in hot pink cuz A E S T H E T I C S lol

I now realize I should have ordered 2, and their website is now down. I hope they’re not out of business, because this will be kinda worthless to me when the time comes to replace the filter…

5 Likes

Hey bud these little fellas are nice i have a brand new one blue tho if your up on a trade.

1 Like

Hey thanks. I might be, would like to see if the company even exists anymore first though haha. The last thing I need is 2 spent filters instead of just one :expressionless:

Have you ever used one of these?

I must been high its black :joy::joy:. Thought it was small enough for a pc case i had few months back, when it arrived i seen the size an had no use for it way too big. I have 2 tents running but again wouldnt of been a good fit more for a box or cab.

1 Like