Airbox 2 Stealth Edition carbon filter -6 month review

Short version - Pros? it works really, really well in my setup. It scrubs my extract fan 100% in all conditions so far. Did I say it works really well?
Cons? It’s expensive (around $350 for the 6" version). It’s big and heavy. (12×12×18", probably 30# w filters). Replacement filters are expensive ($125) and proprietary and I don’t see any possiible way to refill them. I’ve only ran 6 months so I’m not sure how long they will last.

Writing that out it appears the cons exceed the pros, but did I mention that this thing works really, really, really well in my setup?

image0
image1

I was thinking of the “Are you a lone grower?” thread and there’s lots of us that for various reasons want to keep the odor down as much as possible. In my case, when we’ve been gone for awhile and I walk back into the house with my wife, I don’t want to hear “I can smell your garden”. Happy wife, happy life, right?

So after repeated attempts with the usual circular subjects that most of us use, (and repeated side-eyes from the wife) I broke down, spent the money and bought this.

So far I have no regrets. I have already purchased a spare set of the carbon inserts, and will probably grab another. The proprietary nature is a concern to me, but man this thing does work. I don’t normally “plug” products but if anybody is having issues like I was having :grin: you might want to check this out.

14 Likes

Thanks for the review. I haven’t tried this brand myself.

I have tried kootenay filters before and found they work perfectly. I’ve had mine running 24/7 for 2 1/2 years now and it still works like the day I bought it,no smell whatsoever.

1 Like

I keep negative pressure in my tents and exhaust outside so no smell issue for me. That said I am glad it works well for you, that’s really all that matters.

4 Likes

This feels like one of those things that needs a long term update in another 6 months. What size fan do you have feeding it? And is the fan pushing or pulling air through the filter?

My wife gives me those side glances, especially when it gets to harvest time, so I’m interested. Especially since I like to allow my exhaust fan to turn off now & again to prevent environment controls from needing to work harder to keep up with what’s being exhausted.

I already run a round filter on my tent exhaust fan input & another filter on the output, but even with that there’s some odor as the plants mature. I keep looking for possible solutions to exhaust outside…but aside from running a second dryer-style outlet from the basement, I haven’t come up with anything yet.

2 Likes

When possible, DO THIS…
I do Excatlty this WITHOUT any air filter at all.
No smell problems, unless the tent is left open…

3 Likes

I wonder if my 3 plants would stink up the whole neighborhood though? I exhaust outside, nearest home is 30 yards… I mean I’d rather not spend $150 every 8 months for a filter. @CADMAN :laughing:

2 Likes

Venting outside is absolutely the best solution, but unless you have a hole saw to cut through 12" of poured concrete its not going to happen at my house. I envy those of you that have direct access to fresh air, but I’d speculate the majority of growers are like me and don’t.

I use a basic 6" AC Infinity setup. I push through the filter and always maintain negative pressure of course.

3 Likes

Depending on if your in a house or apartment or living very close to noisy neighbors?

My situation is I’m in an large apartment building full of people who smoke cannabis anyways & my window vents towards the wooded area of the neighborhood, so even if someone smelled it, they would still have to figure out which of the 100 windows it’s coming from lol

3 Likes

Vent out the window… I use the adapter that comes with portable AC units… from outside it just looks like an AC unit. Like this.
41BZO5Ci3rL.AC_SY1000

3 Likes

Oh yea they make dual hole plates too, 1 for AC, 1 for tent exhaust :+1:

But I think that guy doesn’t have a window, he’s in basement

3 Likes

Most basements around me don’t have daylight windows that open nicely. We’re talking old windows that open from the top and angle in about 25° max unless you remove the window completely. And even then they’re not standard measurements for portable ac adapters to fit without some janky modifications.

Houses in my neighborhood are on .2-.4 acre lots, so they’re stacked pretty close, typically within about 10 yards or so. Plus with the number of retired busybodies & Karens around, I’d be better off controlling the smell even if I could exhaust outside.

4 Likes

Your right to keep that vented inside then.

That box in Orginal post looks like 2 furnace filters In a box. I bet that can be DIY pretty cheaply.

3 Likes

Yeah, no windows within 50’ of my space unfortunately.

The carbon filter inserts on this are made of metal and weigh about 10lbs each. They’ve got heavy duty rubber gaskets all around that create the airtight seal that forces all of the airflow through the carbon. DIY might be tough, one leak and everything starts taking the path of least resistance …

Carbon is pretty much carbon, but I believe it’s the seals and gaskets and the tight tolerances that helps this work so good, plus the large surface area of the carbon filters.

4 Likes

Do you run your AC infinity 6” fan at max speed through it? The specs on their website say minimum recommended airflow is 400 cfm, which is about the top end of the AC Infinity 6” fan.

1 Like

I know that’s what they say, but no, I seldom hit 5 on my fan, usually much slower/lower. In my use I’ve not noticed an issue.

I do keep my exhaust on lowest setting during my dark period. My lung room is fairly isolated and I can go in there anytime and not catch a whiff as long as I have some air movement through the filter.

2 Likes

Good to know.