What do you think about this Inline-Filter, is it enough?

I need a Inline Carbon Filter for my new grow setup and I’m trying to save some $$$ by getting one today (BLK-Monday). Looking at a 6x16" or 6x20" Filter but the Specs on Scrubbing are confusing. Phat Filter’s put alot of info out so you can see the CFM’s and MIN/MAX Scrubbing Specs. It will be pushed by a AC Infinity S6 Fan, with a Max CFM 350 and has eight speed settings.
The CFM’s per setting are as follows: 44 / 88 / 132 / 176 / 220 / 264 / 308 / 351

The 6x16" has a MIN CFM of 190 (per Hydrofarm/Phat) and REC Single Pass Filtering CFM of 200 CFM (per Phat)…Here is a link to the Specs: http://www.phatfilter.com/what-size-phat-filter-do-i-need

I guess what my question is this…Firstly would I benefit by going with a larger Filter like the 20" vs. 16" for MAX ODOR CONTROL? OR Would it do more harm than good?
So what happens when I go under the MIN Scrubbing CFM’s like 44 / 88 / 132 / 176, CFM’s (Fan Speed Controller).?.

The reason I am being a little OCD about this is cuz I need MAX ODOR CONTROL and just enough $ to buy one filter. This is the last part of the setup, then I can startup! :slight_smile:

PS: It seems Phat Filter and others like Phresh have differ philosophy’s on R&D
“Some manufacturers claim double/triple activation; this does NOT increase the capacity to retain odor, in fact it lessens it.”
Here are links to the Specs for Phat: http://www.phatfilter.com/phat-vs-other-guys#Largest

And here is a “Test” Phat did vs Can, Phresh and Rhino
http://www.phatfilter.com/sites/phatfilter/files/Pacs-lab-test-with-Ad-Yield.pdf
http://www.phatfilter.com/phat-vs-other-guys
This Info is under “Resources” on Phat Filters site

FYI The area is 3x3x6.6’ for what it’s worth…
Oh and I don’t mean or want to start a pissing contest, just need to best Filter no matter who makes it. Capped on Budget :frowning: I can do around $100 give or take 50 bucks. Thank You in advance for any and all suggestions!

1 Like

What sort of lights are you using? How much heat do they generate?

Don’t forget that when you hook up a carbon filter you lose cfm (10-20% IIRC). But it looks like your fan is sized properly and can be adjusted if needed.

I can’t speak to those scrubbers specifically. But I use a cheap 4” vivosun filter and it works just fine for me. Eliminates the smell completely from my dying chamber which is stinky as hell. The filter is 14x8

1 Like

Honest 2 God aint none of em gonna remove all tha stank but good 1s keeper undr controll. Ne1 who knows that smell gone b able 2 ID it.

But yer space is small. Go with wut u can afford but make shure it can fit in yer space. 20 inch + S6 fan aint gonna fit real good ina 3x3.

2 Likes

The light is a SolarXtreme 500 from Cali Light Works with a Heat Output of 1280 BTU

I’d love to spend less money, I just can’t chance it on a cheaper Filter though. Nothing against Vivosun, I’ve heard some work great and some don’t. I’m sure there are many factors that could make any filter not work well like high RH. The RH is around 50% Avg, so it shouldn’t be a concern if I stay around that level.

Good point! Haven’t thought about the size, it will be tight for a 20" long filter but I think* it will work. Need to measure Fan and guess on Ducting which will be short, lol but want to use it for sound reasons.
The smell…yeah… I can add some Ina outside the Tent to help. This will be in a room where a person sleeps (sometimes) :slight_smile: The reasons for Min noise and MAX Filtration for the sake of the rest of the house…And so I don’t get booted!

I heard that it could be up to 50% loss according to a vendor, but I’d need to find that info again…?.//

Yer overthinkin it. Yer S6 gonna suck more than u need in yer tiny space. Way more. Way way more.

N 2 b honest them plants dont need near as much air xchange err lite err nutes as u think. KISS

One extra wrinkle:

neither phat nor phresh filters are easily disassembled, since they’re held together with rivets. If you’re cool with popping out those rivets and setting new ones, each time you reactivate the carbon or add more, then no worries.

I like the vivosun, etc, because they’re made with screws. When I need to pour out/in carbon, I know I can just screw it back together instead of getting the rivet gun. Even if they’re smaller filters (my tents are 2x2, 2x3, and 2x4), the accessibility and reactivation option is a great ease of mind for me. If they stop working, I can easily fix them instead of futzing with rivets.

I have one cheapo per tent and there is zero scent unless the tent is open.

I could very easily be wrong about the exact percentage. I just remembered it could be a factor :slight_smile:

I know, it’s overkill for that little Tent, it’s really a 2 in 1, main area is 3x3’. Reason I went with a 6" Exhaust Fan was cuz peps kept saying running a 4" at full bore would make more noise than a 6" Fan purring along. There is logic to that. Again being that it’s stealth I had to error on the safer side. They still lock peps like me up for just wanting to grow a plant for medical needs. ESP where I live, backwoods as hell.

So that really works eh? Most of what I read was ppl dismissing the refill and saying it’s not the same, etc, etc…But if you can’t tell a differ then that saves a shit-ton of money, if ya have to replace a filter every year.

I have a phresh filter 6 in by 20 inch with a cheap one speed inline duct fan works great it sits out side my 40 inch x 40 inche x 60 inches high tent and it runs non stop I do run some stinky shit as well

1 Like

Yes, it works.

No it’s not the same. You’ll lose up to 10% of the carbon with every switch and burn, that’s why you top it up with more carbon after the refill. There’s also a potential compaction issue, so take it low and slow.

It’s not magic, just science. Even if you get the pricey model, switch the rivets out for screws, or nuts and bolts, when you refill. Buying them over and over is ridiculous, IMHO.

2 Likes

Yeah it does seem a bit wasteful to chuck that big ass thing every yr. Did you see the Airbox (sp) with replaceable filters? Nice setup but out of my range.

I haven’t seen that one but there are plenty of designs for DIY filter boxes, with slots for replaceable paper filters and carbon layers, if you’re crafty

So here is the 6" model https://airboxfilter.com/Airboxfilters/air-box-2 Has 800 CFM they look nice but very $$$.
https://airboxfilter.com/Airboxfilters/air-box-2

Eh, I’m not wowed.

Even if I had the dough to blow, I wouldn’t on that.

I don’t know…Maybe more for commercial side. It would be nice if they had one a bit cheaper for regular ppl. There is no incentive for them to make it when they can just sale you a brand new ever damn year. Da “Free Market” LMAO