Micro Growing with Mr.Sparkle *2018 Part 2of2*

So just getting things ready for my trip in a bit, I only really want pollen from the right hand plant but figured i have the space and can run the left hand one as well and if it gets pollinated when i away i would be happy so culled the two lesser plants and put in the second reservoir and re hosed and timed everything, and gonna test over the next two weeks if they can handle a 10 day absence, really its just water consumption and if i need to add an external res to top up the normal ones.

Yesterday

This Morning

Root shot of the stocky plant i pulled yesterday.

20 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Screw in LEDs Distance to Canopy

Hello again.

Aside from a 2x4x6’ tent, I’ve got a bunch of white 5 gals sitting around and was thinking of mimicking your 5 gal build. (Future planning for pollination perhaps)

Any suggestions / modifications for someone who wants to use SIL and grow in organic soil?

2 Likes

30ish watts, single fan mounted in the center of the lid and 3 to 4 flap intakes cut down low, doesnt need to be fancy. That and keep your soil volume low enough to limit root space 1-2 liters max “1-2 quarts”, but your watering frequency will dictate that.

6 Likes

…So you & @MomOnTheRun are still working on the MicroGrow :money_with_wings: book, write?

:evergreen_tree: :tada:

4 Likes

Mr Sparkle is the author @TrevorLahey and I are just following what he has so eloquently laid out :wink:

3 Likes

Congratulations! You’ve made Jelly’s DIY LINK-O-RAMA!

7 Likes

have you grown any mephesto gear ?

1 Like

yes some of mitch’s crosses, Sour Crinkle, Gold Blue, Auto Blues, Blue Tooth

2 Likes

what are some of the best autos i just got some
mephesto 3bog
fastbuds fastberry and gg4
i still have some dark devils
i cant wait gona use a propogation tent for micro grow

2 Likes

sounds like your set for some fun, dont be afraid to throw them into a bigger space either :wink:

3 Likes

8 days later…

Been busy and haven’t been updating, chopped the other plant on the weekend, and trimmed back the CS sprayed one was it needed definitely not but if i run it over my holidays it should easily carry over till im back on the reduced leaf mass, but i may just chop it or at least throw it in a window sill and collect whatever it produces.

Also may not use the pollen on a full plant scale, maybe just a couple branches of other plants for just seeing things.

Also made a new toy, all due to @Jellypowered @Roux @ReikoX over in chat with my obsessive questioning and rambles.

Need to make a mounting block for it, instead of an upside down chair “not shown” as then it drops the jaws horizontal

Also been playing with this Quartz Quest by Divine Tribe, with my alcohol resin extractions, and now rosin…

Damn smooth, also had to pick up a better mod to run it thus the new Armour Pro its attached too.

14 Likes

Well leaving on my trip sunday morning, this plant started to show some characteristics that i didn’t like so better to just toss it then continuing on with those potential issues.

So into the compost it goes.

Also dismantled my closet, decided to go with a easier less finicky straight dual chamber bottom section, that i will start building once im back.

Guess we will call it a clean slate then…

23 Likes

Sacrilege!!! JK …clean slate sounds great! So when you get back are you going to modify this cabinet or do a test run in your new set up?

3 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle You’re my micro idol.

8 Likes

Will be the closet once built as I’ll be stealing parts from the cab to just provide enough light for one side

5 Likes

Sweet! I was hoping you’d say that :stuck_out_tongue: Be safe on your trip and we’ll see you when you get back

3 Likes

Howdy there Mr.Sparkle.

Been a big fan of your grows and your projects. I’m moving back indoors and you’ve inspired me to buy an arduino for my new space. I’ve been learning quite a bit but I had a few questions if you dont mind.

It looks like your latest grows you’ve ditched the soil sensor in favor of just a timed pump cycle? Is that just because of the setup or is the soil sensor just not that reliable?

I like your diy soil sensor but just wanted to make sure I understand before hooking my own up. Do I need any resistors or anything or can I just hook the probes directly to the board?

Finally are your sketches published anywhere? I’d really like to take a peek. I saw the sketch for the bucket but I didn’t know if you shared your other sketches. Just trying to find something simple that’s easy for an arduino noob to understand.

Thanks for your time and sharing your adventure! I’d love to automate a few things as I work out of town often.

7 Likes

It was reliable, only reason i went timed is it was a simpler method. The sensor just added another variable, when just watching the plants media’s moisture level and learning the timing is easy enough.

I go through water a bit faster timed, but the plants are a bit bigger just in general.

but to the second question yes the soil sensor needs a resistor as you are voltage dividing with it to get your measurement.

just i think my bucket one on Github which included the essentials, but whatever your interested in i’ll post up.

My goal has always been to simplify and make things run the best i can, usually the simplest options end up being the best route.

Saying that check out sonoffs or thc15a timers for your light and basic timed stuff.

5 Likes

Well Im back from my trip and got home midweek. Ended up sleeping til 1245 today so was obviously catching up, but after some house work got going and built two new cabinets with the panels i picked up Thursday night.

So size comparison and this is the second one, both have been built, just need to do the door hinge support tabs tomorrow and mount the doors, and pull the tops out and cut the exhaust holes once my fan arrives, and i can visualize things a bit better on placements and such.

22 Likes