Mikrobs and Trichoderma longibrachiatum?

ok, so i usually used ReCharge… its $50 per pound. so to save a few bucks, i bought two 1/2lb products that cost around $40 total… RAW, which ive used before and love, and this new stuff called Mikrobs, its OMRI listed and had promising reviews… idk if people use it for weed though, i think the normals use it for lawns…

The Mikrobs has extra stuff like amino,fulvic, humic acids, molasses and kelp… all the stuff i love about recharge… I give maxicrop and molasses anyway, but the extra bit is appreciated. so i will use this for general veg transplanting… The Mikrobs is more costly than Raw Veg microbes, but it has that those extra acids which i like… and i got the Raw Bloom microbes for just the bloom cycle…

ok, so after i get the products, someone says BioAg Vam, so i go look… looks nice, but pricey, but what caught my attention is that They proudly state that their product does not contain trichoderma… so im like wtf why? Because other multi-microbe products (ie: Raw and Recharge) have at least 1 trichoderma species…

then i google and it says only the T. Longibrachiatum is not good… it says harmful to humans with weak immune systems… but all info i googled pertained to like if its growing in yur house…like if yur house is all moldy and fucked up.

i didnt want to google any other words like “indoor growing” so i dont know if u use a myco mix with some Longibrachiatum in it, and mix it into my soil, or water it in, will the spores come out of the ground and kill me? google says its found in air vents and walls, among other places, so will my fans suck up spores out of the soil and into the air and coat everything in deadly mold?

did i just buy a $25 bag if deadly microbes that i cannot use? Should throw this shit out and just go back to recharge and/or raw veg microbes?
Why would OMRI approve an item that can kill you?

Or is it actually completely safe, because it says so on the package and the trichoderma longibrachiatum stays underground?

here’s some pix:

6 Likes

Not sure bro,
I would assume that unless the soil was dust dry and being disturbed they would stay in the soil…
Even mammoth p supposedly has harmful bacteria but is considered safe with proper use…
I like mykos, and OG biowar personally…

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s 99.9% safe; There’s 26 different species at least & wikipedia says it’s not thought to be harmful to humans, seems to be a hungry composting fungi. (see 5, Toxicity) :mag:

In my situation… if my sick plant does have Fusarium, then Trichoderma is prescribed as a remedy(so i read somewhere…probably wikipedia :joy:)

I think immuno compromised people are susceptible to just about anything in the air/water, FWIW…

:v:

:evergreen_tree: :mushroom:

9 Likes

Don’t create a lot of dust, avoid breathing it in, wash your hands. Treat it like it’s a household chemical or human waste. That kind of thing, I’d think.

5 Likes

I like my compost and worm bins for all the humic, fulvic acids vitamins and minerals they provide , ive used mycos here and there but it’s outdated (is it still good)? Oh and some Em1 also! … I think @Meesh has some opinion on Mammoth P maybe get some here opinions … will the stuff be harmful ? I doubt it !

2 Likes

ok, thanks guys… its kind of what i thought…
i wear dust mask when mixing soil and repotting anyway…

i wonder why BioAg is so adamant and proud that they dont use any T. species…it sounds condescending, and the wording gave me the impression that they know something the rest of us dont… i think i will email them as ask why…

i use mammoth p, only in flowering though…i’ve been using it for 2 years and love it.

i used to use PlantSuccess tablets back in the day, then great white for years, until i found Recharge… im hoping this new Mikrobs used with Raw bloom microbes, will be an equal subsitute for recharge…

4 Likes

Some discussion over here with references,

https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_Trichoderma_species_are_toxic_to_humans

5 Likes

i used it to pot some freshly rooted clones into cups. wore a dust mask, held bag at arms length when i opened it, let dust settle before i used it… 3 days later and i dont have any apparent respiratory issues.
However, I’m sure after 4 months in the soil, interacting with roots, the T.Long will have grown and spread throughout my meduim. i would assume that empting out containers after harvest and stiring up the meduim during the course of removing stems and root balls, would throw the T.Long into the air…
i think after i burn off the rest of this bag, i will go back to recharge…

1 Like

If you are concerned, you could always try dumping some diluted chlorine onto the left over root ball as long as the containers can handle it. I’d think that would kill off any remaining spores in a short time. Chlorinated tap might be sufficient, idk.

In the past, with the mycorrhizae in the grows I had, obvious blooms were not too common. I’d usually have to amend more mycorrhizae to keep things going. Only blooms I’ve seen have occurred when the media was kept excessively moist for long periods. But, I don’t have lots of organic matter in the media and really only had Trichoderma harzianum and T. konigii.

2 Likes

Trichoderma inhibit root colonization of AM fungi.

From Microbeman:

I do intend to begin a thread on Mycorrhizal fungi but in the interim;

Be aware that if one uses a mycorrhizal spore mix, combined with Trichoderma spores, the positive effect observed will likely be from the Trichoderma alone. Trichodema eats other fungi so if it is included in the initial inoculation, chances of infection by mycorrhizal fungi is very slim.

Marketers include these together in a mix, cleverly, for a number of reasons. One is that Trichoderma spores are available for very very little money so they can put lots into the mix, making it sound like you are getting your money’s worth. Often the Trichoderma spores outnumber the other fungal species by 10,000 to 1. Of course, this reduces the chances of colonization by mycorrhizal species even more.

Another is that Trichoderma grows rapidly, does not need proximity to roots to germinate and has really great benefit to the plant. It protects the root system from pathogens, there is some evidence that it delivers nutrients to the root system and also provides some systemic protection throughout the plant from pathogens.

The result is that the grower sees benefit and goes on to state that they had great results using mycorrhizal fungi. Why marketers are not just selling Trichoderma spores at a reasonable cost, I do not know….it must be money.

Abstract
The interaction between Trichoderma pseudokoningii (Rifai) 511, 2212, 741A, 741B and 453 and the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi Glomus mosseae (Nicol. & Gerd.) Gerdemann & Trappe BEG12 and Gigaspora rosea Nicolson & Schenck BEG9 were studied in vitro and in greenhouse experiments. All T. pseudokoningii strains inhibited the germination of G. mosseae and Gi. rosea except the strain 453, which did not affect the germination of Gi. rosea.

3 Likes

i used to use great white for years… switched to recharge because it has more stuff in it… but yur saying something simple like GW is better bc it doesnt have Trichoderma. and also, i understand now why BioAg doesnt put Trich. in their Vam… (i emailed BioAg about Vam, but nevrr got a response)

I’m going to email NPK and ask why they put Trich. into the Raw microbes, if it will just kill and cancel out all the mycor sp… bc thats fucked up for a company to do that… Sell me microbes that are just food for fungi, smh…

What do you use? Mycos or something? What micribial product should i use? Lol do I go back to Great White, or perhaps i go with old school Plant Success tablets i used 20 years ago?

2 Likes

I misspoke, Great White does have trichoderma in it…

… …
and, here’s RAW bloom microbes active ingrediants…

Can i just buy a trichoderma sp multi-pack? … bc seems no point in buying mycor if it just gets eaten…

3 Likes

Check out kelp4less, they have a couple of different options. One with trichoderma another without.

https://www.kelp4less.com/product-category/mycorrhizae/

I think it was Harley, the RAW guy, that noted a couple of things in one of his seminars. Species, other than the trichoderma, may need some time to establish prior to the introduction of the trichoderma. And, you may want to inoculate several times throughout the grow cycle.

Personally, I’ve been inoculating with everything (including the trichoderma) several times during the year and everything has been kosher. I can say that certain plants do suddenly produce new flowers after each inoculation (both in high organics and not-so high organics). Not that they wouldn’t eventually, just coincidental to each innoculation.

For cannabis, nothing as obvious to me but I’ve always added the same inputs and have nothing to go by otherwise. Plants are healthy in peat+coco+castings. That’s it. Probably more of an effect to be had in a more rich organic mix.

3 Likes

I’ve been using Mykos from Xtreme gardening. It’s not the best, but it’s cheap and available. For me, mycorrhizal fungus is more of a ‘feel good’ product. Meaning I feel good using it, but the plants are just fine if I don’t. Again, just my opinion.

3 Likes

Mykos has Glomus Intraradices, now called Rhizophagus Irregularis, and from my understanding it’s the only species that has been proven to form a relationship with Cannabis. The rest of the Bacillus and Trichoderma just maintain the environment.

5 Likes

I agree with this statement, also, FWIW.

2 Likes

greatwhite has G.Intraradices in it… the orginal formula i mean…

but if Trichoderma kills evertthing else, then is it best to locate a mycor cultivator and simply buy a pure Trichoderma blend?
or locate pure G. intraradices, and only use that?

I understand there is an inherant amount of marketing ploys behihd all these branded products, but it cant all be hype. There has to some logiical reason why they put all sorts of different shit into thier products… Raw, recharge, greatwhite etc all have multiple specices… It has to be rooted in some sort of science.

1 Like

Call Fungi Perfecti. It’s Paul Stamets company. They might advise you. That mold shit sounds nasty.

3 Likes

Yeah, maybe a situation like Mammoth P where the combination of bacteria work better than any of them could alone. The solution might be innoculating the seedlings with the mycorhizal fungi first and watering in the rest of the bacteria later.

2 Likes

i wish i could find seperate microbes and apply them at stages like that… the stuff i have are all-in-one mixes. i guess i could locate something that was just mycor and use that on seedlings and clones, until they get repotted into larger containers and then use Recharge or something…

i use mammoth p, i get it. just like weed. entourage effect…
but im not sure how much of a symbiotic relationship there is bc the trichoderma kills everything and takes over…

i guess it doesnt really matter as long as it makes plants grow better…

but its that one species of trichoderma that bothers me… if it gets airborne like during repotting plants or unpottiing harvested stumps, it could establish itself in the walls or cielings… i think at that point, it wouldnt be good, even for people with healthy immune and respiratory systems…

T. longibrachiatum is the only wicked one, and as long as i avoid products with, im good…

i already used most of the Mikrobs bag potting clones… im going to toss the rest and go back to Recharge for my veg microbes. i want to get a small thing of Mycos and run a few clones with that also…