Types of mycorrhizae for cannabis

Hoping you guys can help me with this question. I’m going to give soil another shot this year indoor and outdoor and I’m trying to roll my own. I’d like to use some mycorrhizae and I have two types for trees and landscaping that is leftover from another project at work. Would these be helpful or harmful for cannabis
The first one

And the second

Thanks

5 Likes

I think you’d want mostly endo-myco. There is a single endo strain in your transplant mix and it is in low concentration.

Ecto, the main myco strains included in your mix, is considered useful for trees. I don’t know if it’ll be useful for canna. I don’t think it would be harmful, though.

From, Mycorrhizae FAQs - Mycorrhizal Applications | Leaders in the Production of Mycorrhizal Fungi

There are two different types of mycorrhizal products offered by Mycorrhizal Applications; including endomycorrhizae and ectomycorrhizae. Endomycorrhizae form relationships with about 85% of plant families, including most commercially produced plants. Ectomycorrhizae form relationships with 10% of plant families, including conifers and hardwoods. Plant families, such as the Orchidaceae and Ericaceae, require very specific types of mycorrhizae and will likely not respond to the mycorrhizal blends offered by Mycorrhizal Applications.

Endomycorrhizal Fungi form exchange mechanisms on the inside of the root cells, intracellularly (and the hyphae extend outside the root). Endomycorrhizal fungi form mostly with green leafy plants and most commercially produced plants. Examples: Most Vegetables, Grasses, Flowers, Shrubs, Fruit Trees, and Ornamentals. Approximately 85% of terrestrial plant species on Earth are endomycorrhizal.

Ectomycorrhizal Fungi form exchange mechanisms outside of the root cells, extracellularly. Ectomycorrhizal fungi form mainly with Conifers and Hardwoods, and are required mostly for woody plants/trees and forest trees. Approximately 10% of terrestrial plant species on Earth are ectomycorrhizal.

Example endo:

Glomus intraradices
G. aggregatum
G. mosseae
G. etunicatum

Example ecto:

Rhizopogon villosullus
R. luteolus
R. amylopogon
R. fulvigleba
Pisolithus tinctorius
Laccaria bicolor
L. laccata
Scleroderma Cepa
S. citrinum
Suillus granulatas
S. punctatapies

Example beneficial bacteria:

Bacillus subtillus
Bacillus licheniformis
Bacillus azotoformans
Bacillus megaterium
Bacillus coagulans
Bacillus pumlis
Bacillus thuringiensis
Bacillus stearothermiphilis
Paenibacillus polymyxa
Paenibacillus durum
Paenibacillus florescence
Paenibacillus gordonae
Azotobacter polymyxa
Azotobacter chroococcum
Sacchromyces cervisiae
Streptomyces griseues
Streptomyces lydicus
Pseudomonas aureofaceans
Deinococcus erythromyxa A. chroococcum
Sacchromyces cervisiae
Pseudomonas aureofaceans

Example Tricoderma:

Trichoderma harzianum
T. konigii

8 Likes

Glomus intraradices is the only mycorrhizae you need, tbh. The Ecto- won’t do anything for you, and of the Endomycorrhizae the only one that I know of that’s proven to work with cannabis is Glomus intraradices.

The product you’ve shown should be fine, I doubt it will hurt anything but you can get more concentrated brands like Xtreme Gardening that contain only what you need.

Edited to add - Tricoderma is known to be beneficial also, but I’m not sure of which types work best with cannabis, or whether there’s any significant antagonism between tricoderma and mycorrhizae, as has often been claimed online.

8 Likes

Roger that! I think endo will have some sort of benefit even though cannabis is an annual plant they are truly more geared for perennial type plants that stay in the ground for years on end! I sprinkle a dab down in the planting hole of all my veggie starts( cannabis, tomato, peppers, etc with the exception of the brassica family it’s proven that this family doesn’t benefit for mychorizae at all

7 Likes

Thank you @Northern_Loki @Howard.Crane @Tinytuttle.
I remember hearing about the Endo and ecto now on a kiss organics podcast.

Sounds like it can’t hurt and the second bag has at least one strain that is beneficial. Should I add it to my soil I’m cooking now or wait until I’m ready to use the soil?

5 Likes

@Hashtree It needs direct contact with the roots , moisten the rootball and sprinkle some all over it or throw it down the hole and up the side would probably work also

5 Likes

So with all the myco products out there, which one is most popular and gives people a better roi?

1 Like

Go to the Xtreme Gardening website and order the SAMPLE Package ($12, I believe). I ordered one and had a friend order one. For $24, I’ll have enough for a Season. FYI only, NOT affiliated!! Stay safe/be well.

3 Likes

Awww…usa only…chabunk

But do mycos work as well as people say…are the results significantly noticable?

1 Like

I’m going to be running a side by side test with my next batch of cuttings I have rooting right now.

1 Like

I’ve used Extreme Gardening Mykos in coco and supersoil. There has been no discernible difference when I have forgotten to use it. This is several grows over the last 2 years.

Element Nutrients Myco+. If you check the ingredients it’s very similar to Botanicare Liquid Karma with some added bonuses. I can’t say if it’s the Myco’s or the other stuff that does the magic. Regardless, it does create a noticeable boost to vigor quickly.

https://element-nutrients.com/collections/flower-fuel-the-best-bloom-booster-for-bigger-heavier-harvests/products/myco-super-premium-root-booster?variant=13987989028921

1 Like

I’ll be sure to check that out!

@Undead-Toker I would say that’s noticeable. Thanks for the tip!!

2 Likes

I use it in transplants and rooting cuttings. I’ve never noticed any difference in cannabis per say, but it is a root thing. I have noticed it when I root other plant cuttings. Seem to root easier and faster. So I’m sure it doesn’t hurt.

When i started growing i followed the ways of a dutch grower called Sannie who uses a combo of mycco, bacto and buffertabs.
(Has somenice genetics too)
https://www.sanniesshop.com/

He claims to have created an ideal combo of mycco and bacteria for cannabis plants.

From his website:

Dosage :

For every seedling or clone use 5 gram of symbiosis, mix 3-4 gram through the soil and put 1-2 gram near and on the roots.

Analyze Symbiosis:

93 Endo Mycorrhiza spores / gram

• Glomus intradadices
  • Glomus clarum
  • Entrophospora colombiana
  • Glomus sp
  • Glomus geosporum
  • Glomus mosseae
  • Glomus etunicatum
  • Glomus mosseae

Rhizo bacteria :

• Bacillus subtiles
  • Paenibacillus azotofixans
  • Bacillus pumilus
  • Bacillus polymixa
  • Bacillus megatrium
  • Bacillus lichenifmis

seaweed extract. maltodextrine, humic acids, yeast extract, formononetine (0,01%), clay

Used together with bacto, added to the water:

Ingredients bacto;

• Bascillus licheniformis
  • bacillus megaterium
  • bacillus poymyxa
  • bacillus subtilis
  • bacillus thuringiensis
  • actinomyceten:Streptomyces griseovirides
  • Trichoderma harzianum bodemschimmel

also contains

• oplosbaar humusextract waarvan 17% humuszuren (humus-acids)
  • suiker(dextrose)
  • zeewier-extract(Ascophyllum nodosum)
  • Maltodextrine
  • gist extract (yeast)
  • Myconate(van klaver)

I’ve had some great results with this but i’m still waaay too early in my growing career to claim to have an exact ideau of what it all means and what it does.

I just read the post, was interested and hopefully this way i can contribute :sweat_smile:

Any opinions on this guy’s way combination? I’d love to learn more about this but it seems likea lot. No ideau where to start :rofl:

5 Likes