Trichoderma/Subtilis eating algae, Heisenberg tea, a panacea?

After making my version of Heisenberg tea I am shocked at the speed and results.
So far I have been using Great white, Subculture and similar products as powder. Considering they should already be treated, this was on another level.

The perlite in the pictures was near solid green 2-3 days ago. Now it is dying algae and a thick white trichoderma covering.
Watered once with straight tea, the algae is vanishing.

Here is my demo recipe, Ph was hard to control ,as far as I know, running higher ph=bacterial, lower = fungal. Maybe one should make 2 separate teas?

A few mg of vitamin C neutralizes all chlorine.
Half a scoop of great white, pinch of fulvic powder, a tablespoon of unsulfured molasses.
1Gallon/4l of total volume. Ph dropped to 6.
Airstone and 10l/h airpump.

After 12h, the Ph had taken a nosedive to 4.5, massive fungal dominance.
Increased Ph, added a tiny amount of great white to get some bacteria back in.
Brewed for 48h, ph had to be adjusted from 7.8 to 6.

I will start using this for foliar as well, saw studies that trichoderma and subtilis can wipe out mildew and other issues. If it does the same as to the algae I can believe it.

Good read, even a filtered exudate has strong to absolute inhibitory effect on pathogens even if there is no trichoderma or bacilli left in the solution.

Good picture of tea in action, see through container.

16 Likes

Thanks for interesting post! I’m big believer of biocontrol and I have seen great results with both Trichoderma harzianum (fungi) and Pythium Oligandrum (algae / oomycete) as a prevention to root diseases. This is area that really needs and is worth exploring!

6 Likes

Dude, awesome post.
If I can add a little bit;
Trichoderma can eat your Glomus Intraradices / Rhizophagy Irregularis, too. So if you do inoculate your roots with a mycelium, you want to do it separately from your soil inoculation.

3 Likes

Thanks guys.
Its been 20y since i made an experimental brew the first time, never finished that experiment only used the products from time to time, a refresher was needed and hopefully helpful to others as well.

Researching for regular gardening expansion, curative control method that can be brewed, yes please.

One thing I did not know is the shelf life of dry biologicals, looked at a rando indian slide lecture, showed a ~5x drop in 180 days, fridge storage was slightly worse than room temperature.

Growing a concentrated culture every 6 months might be a good idea, rice in a jar, then dry and add carrier, silica clay or some such.

@Worcestershire_Farms

I assumed trichoderma eats most all other fungi. Wont they do the same in soil reasonably quickly?
Using mostly inert media right now, considering adding a percentage of coco to give micro flora a better more long lasting home.

@LemonadeJoe
Never heard of Pythium oligandrum, assumed the pythium family were all pathogenic.
First link when I started looking for a source, treatment for athletes foot. Start selling tickets, people can stand next to the garden while I spray, get rid of their toe fungus :grin:.
Do you have a favorite supplier?
Do you brew it?

5 Likes

This is a real problem when Mycorrhizal fungi and Trichoderma are applied at the same time. From the reading I have done, it is best to inoculate with Mycorrhizae first, and trichoderma later. Really makes me raise an eyebrow at products like great white.

Edit: looks like Diggy already said this.

3 Likes

After innoculating with Mycorrhiza, there is enough protection from symbiosis or perhaps maturity?

2 Likes

This is one paper on the topic.

Mycoparasitism of Glomus intradices by Trichoderma harzianum.pdf (3.2 MB)

3 Likes

Great post thanks for sharing this info / your experience so far with it! I love how all the fungi and microbes armies are so awesome. The right microbiome sure does make a difference!

4 Likes

Pythium is sold in EU under commercial brand Polyversum. It should be registered in USA too… This is the producer’s website:

4 Likes

Thanks LemonadeJoe.

Now I just need an pesticide license and a dispensation for off label use :smiley: .

“Insert a page long rant about bureaucrats here”

Looks like the best bet is finding a less than reputable Czech vendor, some veterinary hoof cream. Stores that do not bother checking EU countries demands for a govt monopoly. Then proceed to hope customs doesn’t stop it.
Even serenade/Bacillus subt. is on the same boat, seems they aren’t wise to Great white containing it or there is some loophole.

4 Likes