Milligram Scales - Any lab workers, re-loaders, other hobbyists know?

(To clarify, this means a set a scales that displays three digits after the decimal place, in the “grams” unit/setting. Eg: 0.123 grams).

Hi.
I’ve been considering a set of digital milligram scales. Is there anything between the $20-30 units and the probably $200+ units? I’ve been on amazon. I watched several video reviews and looked for some articles. Something that would be reliable for weighing up light amount for custom fertilizer blends. People also use them for weighing supplements, or re-loading (ammo), etc.
I have an ok set of scales that go to the tenth / 0.xx.

Edit: I’m specifically looking for recommendations that come from someone with experience using a specifc brand/model.
I know there will be specifications, types of technology, and intricacies involved with these weighing devices, and I’d like to avoid a (another) week+ long adventure and research project. Hahaha.

I’m wanting a set of Digital Milligram Scales (or “balance”. I’m sure there is a distinction) that weigh to the 0.000, and quality enough that the third digit isn’t completely untrustworthy – unless that’s where the extract hundreds of dollars come into play.

Thanks.

6 Likes

I just use something like this but it is grams only

1 Like

@Northern_Loki You might have some suggestions?

@CocoaCoir Those won’t do. Only the first one is a milligram scale. The second is analog. And the third is a kitchen scale.

edit: spelling.

Can just save money buy a container that is either 1 tenth or 1 100th of 1 gram than buying a MG scale for that price.

I have a frankford arsenal digital powder scale. Is was about 50 bucks. It works. Ive had it for several years now. I tested its accuracy against a high dollar hornady and its accurate

2 Likes

close enough for me. I’m not weighing diamonds or poison though.
Same scale diff color
(Upgraded) Professional Digital Milligram Scale, 50g Max High Precision Pocket Sized Jewelry Scale, Electronic Smart Scale with 50g Calibration Weight (Battery/Tweezers Included) https://a.co/d/2CSMObP

4 Likes

I have a hornady scale that I use to weight gunpowder for reloading. Cant remember the exact model off hand. But I see a couple on awscales that might work for ya
https://awscales.com/milligram-scales/

2 Likes

Back in the day everyone had one of these.

upgraded from

14 Likes

Know what model. Just looking at their site. Digital Powder Reloading Scale | Frankford Arsenal?

Yea, seen those. Looking for something of more “quality”. I doubt there’s much difference in all the units under $40-50.

Too bad can’t remember model. Thanks for link. I’ll check it out.

PS: I already have a Triton T2 or something, 0.xx digital scale. And a kitchen scale.
I don’t want a 0.xxx scale whose last digit is meaningless (completely inaccurate), because I already have a 0.xx scale, haha.

1 Like

It’s not inaccurate I just don’t calibrate it. If you want to weigh out .xxx you need something with a top/cover to block any wind/breath/draft.

I use it to weigh out .012mg of nitenpyram for the cat and dog. Works fine for that. As well as weighing out my microgreen seeds. Got a bigger scale to weigh out jacks, 50g isn’t enough.

2 Likes

Frankford ds750 i believe.

1 Like

Yea, I know. Looking for specific suggestions from those who might know.

Are you confident it wasn’t 0.019, or 0.005 though? And would it matter if it was off by that much or more?

I’m not thinking that I’ll need 0.127g of something, and that 0.122 or 0.132 would absolutely ruin a batch. But if all these milligram scales between $30 and $100 are going to be just as (in)accurate then I’d maybe go for the mid range price if choose from them, or - like I’d prefer, find something in the next quality tier that promises +“0.005” accuracy, just for example.

Daniel Fernandez uses a cheap britfit brand one or something, and if that’s good enough for him it should be for me too… but you know. I like to get the best that I, personally, can afford and find.

The ds750 I see isn’t a milligram scale. It doesn’t even weigh to the second decimal, single decimal only. I need a milligram scale.

Well. I can look when at home. Mine will measure grain units even.

1 Like

No sweat.
It’s not the units that’s the issue, my Triton weighs all those units too; grams, grains, ounces, t. ounces, etc. It’s the precision/resolution. Three decimal points is what I need, in the grams unit, milligram.

Brifit or britfit is the same brand of the one I have in the picture.
I trust it well enough and that type of flea medication doesn’t matter if it’s off by a bit. I also use that scale to weight out minute amounts of silver nitrate for STS(2oz batches). It was something like .008mg maybe and it worked fine.

3 Likes

If you going for milligram or better accuracy, an analytical balance. They can get expensive though as the mass and significant digit capability increases.

https://www.ricelake.com/resources/articles/what-is-the-difference-between-a-balance-and-a-scale/

A&D, Sartorius, Ohaus are good brands that are typically of lab quality, fast settling, minimized drift, and repeatability. Ebay (or sometimes auctions) is your friend and you can usually find good condition balances at a relative bargain. At a $200 budget, you’ll need to keep your eyes open and take care that the balance is operable and not missing anything. I’ve bought several and only have one that has a defect (which I took a risk on and kinda matched the bargain). I also have a Radwag which seems to be good but the UI is not the easiest. FWIW the triple beams, although analog, can be surprisingly accurate.

For the lower price scale options, check out these youtube videos doing comparisons / tests:

Most balances and scales will have the capability listed as:

the ‘d’ is the accuracy. 5mg for the above.

Some balances/scales have an internal calibration mass. Many don’t so you’d need to also obtain a calibration weight within an acceptable tolerance class for the balance accuracy. For 1 mg, something with a tolerance that is less than 0.5mg. 200g would be NIST class 1, for instance. 50g would be NIST class 2. Those, themselves, can get pricey. Depends on how much error that you are willing to endure.

I use my balances much more often than I would have expected. If you are also doing precision reloading, the milligram capability is important. A 1 mg error is 0.015 grain error. A 10mg error is ~.2 grain error. I consider a good scale/balance a buy once cry once decision.

8 Likes

Yep. Or hold your breath. Amazing how many milligrams a slight breeze / vibration can produce …

4 Likes

Edit as realized gr. accuracy ain’t gonna work for mg. accuracy.
A tenth of a grain is all I get out of my scales.

Not quite a milligram scale but I’ve used this Taylor centigram scale (0.01g) for years in the kitchen for baking and coffee, haven’t checked it against a calibration weight in a while but it was accurate out of the box:

Relatedly, one of the most correct things a hippie ever taught me was that you can calibrate a scale with nickels, they weigh exactly five grams each, within less than 0.2g of variance by law. So a shiny new nickel is a decent calibration weight, I’ve always found. Useful in a store or when borrowing someone else’s scale to check it!

5 Likes

Still do. :wink: