Mom has alzheimers

My condolences brother. Get in as much time with her as you can now. Might as well talk about it with her if she is still cognizant of what’s happening. Maybe you can build a bridge that she’ll remember. Prayers and vibes sent for your mom and you. Never forget your 2nd home here when you need to talk about it. I know it’s hard. peace

4 Likes

Keep down that path to realization. Look into Carl Jung & Alan Watts. Don’t let your past bother you. We’re all Hybrid monkeys just a few thousand years out of picking fleas off each other & throwing poop. I’d say we’re all doing pretty damn well, even as the black sheeps :+1:

5 Likes

@Gonzo
True enough…and understand it intellectually is not the same as feeling it.
Cody Canada said it best " you are always seventeen in your home town"
Who you were is what people see

5 Likes

I’ll let you in on a little secret. All the “goodie twoshoes” who followed the rules & said yessir/yes’mam their whole life are jealous of us.

So if/when you see that “look” from people in your hometown. Just remember it’s the gaze of a domesticated horse watching an unbroken horse gallop by. It’s jealousy.

All those people have problems/misery of their own. Debt, loveless marriages, haven’t had sex in months, pill addictions, bosses they despise, anxiety disorders, alcohol dependency… etc etc. And they never LIVED because they always followed the rules. Once you realize that you’ll stop caring what they think.

I say embrace the Black Sheep label. All the best people had it/have it :+1:

9 Likes

My dad had it, last week my mother (94, me 62) told me my aunt on my father’s side is now in the hospital and she only knows her one son who has been looking after her. My mother took care of my dad, took a lot of patience. I never got to make amends with him as he was far gone before he accepted my choices in life were not that bad.

My mother’s mind is getting a little scrambled now, the front part of our brains is where critical thinking is done and it goes first resulting in a more childlike thought process. It is the first to go. Also blind spots, we were talking about years and she could not count from one to ten at that time and missed some in the middle. It gets them upset when they get confronted with them missing something, just move on and try to keep her talking about something else. I have been lucky, my brother lives close by her and helps her a lot. In doing this he has learned patience himself, he has become a nicer person I think. Just spend time with her, you will work things out enough and get where you need to go.

5 Likes

I think this is very nicely put. :+1:

8 Likes

If she forgets you then tell her you’re like an angel there to protect another angel.
Angels don’t really need protection, only when they forget they’re an angel.
Remind her of her childhood, stimulate her imagination, steer her in the direction of benevolence, the past is dead anyway, stop holding on to it.
Life happens now, and can only happen now, just tell her a joke, make her laugh, see how silly life can be, you don’t need memory for that. Don’t turn it into a drama, see it as them becoming babies again, preparing to die and then be born again.

Combine the lions mane with microdoses of psilocybin truffle/mushrooms for wide spectrum application.

This is Paul Stamets his company: https://fungi.com/apps/omega-search/?type=product&q=lions*+mane*

I recommend giving Alzheimer patients, besides lion’s mane and psilocybin also a wide variety of other species of mushrooms.

Widespectrum health boost.

All in moderation and microdoses.

9 Likes

Thanks guys. What @Gonzo
Said is so true…so many of the straights from high school seem to blow up.when they reach their 50s
One gray hair and they buy a Harley kick the wife to the curb and do a 180
I gotta say mom had reason to.worry though. A good friend’s son from our first Baptist church went to the penitentiary for 10 years for selling an ounce of weed back in 75

5 Likes

I went thru it with my husband of 25 years. It WILL break your heart. If it isn’t a person you aren’t caring for daily it is easier but still devastating.

Yes, it Is. I bought lions mane capsules for myself. as caring 24/7 causes what his doctor called caregiver Alzheimer. All I know is I can’t remember any thing since .
I bought a kit to grow it. I had no luck. It was a time temp thing. I had pushed it under my bed while doing something. I found it the other day and it had taken off under there and died due to no care.

This is absolutely correct… I didn’t and on top I had his grown Children made at me (2 girls older then me and 2 girls 1 and 11 years younger) My family live a ways from me and had there own lives.

My daughter talked to my Mom and Dad and taped there stories. This may be something you would like to do. This is a horrible disease. It can linger up to 20 years in some cases to totally destroy the brain stem. Spend as much time and make as many good memories that you can.

PM any time if you need to talk.

:green_heart: :seedling:

7 Likes

I feel for you. Go see her.

3 Likes

Well I took part of my Christmas early and drive 8 hours so I can be at the attorneys office for appointment and find the attorney doesn’t really have his 2hit together
I was able to get .mom to go see him tho. She had some.lucid moments and was clear about the things she wanted to happen or not happen.
I.will.have to drive back over here early January so.she can sign our family homestead over to me and brother thereby avoiding the taxman taking it if she gets unable to stay at home.
We hope to.keep her at her home as long as possible. That means arranging daily caregiver visit
She doesn’t have long term care insurance.
We should all have long term care insurance.

5 Likes

:')

My granfather got it too
we kept him at home, helped mostly by granma, the 6 kidz and a roll of caregivers
he passed away last year after 10+ yrs on alzheimer
he wasn’t speaking anymore for years but i think being surrounded by his family helped a lot.
i know that is not offen possible, depending on families particularities
Even if my dad told me not to do the same for him, i’ll do my best to care of them like my family did for gran’pa, what a nice lesson in that crazy society

@Trowertripper i wish u all the best, stay strong

1 Like

Hugs @Trowertripper .

I moved into my Gran’s home to care for her when her alzheimer’s & dimentia got so bad that it was downright dangerous. It was a wild ride and most certainly built up my “rhino skin”. My gran got violent so there’s a bunch of stuff I don’t tell my Dad (her mum) so he doesn’t have to think of her in that way.

It took over a year before she got a room in an appropriate elder care facility and by the end I was in a position where I’d have to take a leave of absence from work in order to ensure the house wasn’t burned down.

All the best to you and the family on this not easy journey. :heart:

3 Likes

That’s a bummer when you pay for a lawyer (which ain’t cheap) and show up and he’s the one who’s outta sorts. Then it makes u question whether or not you can trust him to help do what’s best for your Mom and u. We didn’t have any caregiver coverage and he was at home til the last 2 months due to his digestive system slowly shutting down. I’m always around if you have any questions concerns or just need to vent and it’s not something that I figured out to late that u can take on by yourself and I was his caregiver for almost 6 years and I had my sister there for help and my mom so it’s a HUGE deal for their to be a support system aka family and caregivers to give you the break from it every now and then but I am thinking of your Mom and u & your family. Wishing you Happy Holidays and good vibes!

1 Like

We are.lucky my brothers daughter…my niece is helping with mom and the family farm …yesterday
Mom made it abundantly clear that she wants the farm to remain out of corporate control and as a family farm as long as possible.
She also wants ALL of the grandchildren to benefit
from the estate including (specifically mentioned)
my Trans gender grand neice.
That’s why we are working to get the land in my and brothers names.

6 Likes

@Gonzo
Yes.
Mom is more tolerant than my brother and his wife…mom mostly wants her family taken care of and happy.

3 Likes

Man that’s super dope she’s down with the trans niece. So many older people still have hang-up’s about anyone different/unique from the old “normal” they cling to. That put a smile on my face :+1:

2 Likes

My grandmother had a form of dementia. In the end it was her kidneys shutting down that got her an not the dementia. The brain is such a bizarre thing. The last time I saw her, she didn’t recognize me but when I called her grandma she would either call me by name or my cousin’s name. So even though she didnt recognize me visually, she knew I was supposed to exist.

4 Likes