Mother plant pot size

Hey guys. I have a Panama x Honduras plant that has a great root system. I plan to graft as many different varieties as possible onto it and try to keep the whole thing going as long as possible ( hopefully many years). I am growing in dirt. So how BIG of a pot do you recommend? Is a 5 gallon bucket too big? I always thought that cannabis roots are more wide than long. Would a short, wide tote container be better? Any and all recomendations will be greatly appreciated. Thank you :grin:

5 Likes

Depends on how you feed.
With soil, more volume is better.
In hydroponics you can grow trees in a 6inchx6inch

3 Likes

Yes. Thank you for pionting that out. I have gone back and edited to state that I am growing in dirt. :grin:

3 Likes

hi! for a project like that, a 5-gallon pot should work fine. Cannabis roots do tend to spread wide, but with a solid root system, it should adapt well

2 Likes

I’d say larger the better on root space. If you can afford the room, 15 gallons or beyond would be my choice :metal:t2:

6 Likes

The bigger the pot the easier it will be.

6 Likes

I use 1-2 gallons for my moms, but I’m constantly refreshing them. If you want to keep one plant a long long time I’d go with 5-10g you can always trim down the root ball as well as the plant, and continually snip off the new shoots to keep it smaller. I have a pretty respectable stable , if I was to keep them in 5-10’s I’d need another two tents at least :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

I’d go with soil in a 5 gallon DIY Sub Irrigation bucket.
Plenty of room
Super Easy Maintenance
Amend/Top dress once every 3-4 weeks.
Water only down the reservoir.

Super durable.
Can be used in both outdoor or indoor.
Light and easy to move if needed

Sit back take some rips and observe Grow. (insert person reclining in chair while taking bong rips watching plant grow emoji here)

The Mom in the white SIP below :arrow_down_small: is well over a year old. I have chopped her back very heavily over time but left just a little bit of growth. I have neglected her badly since the last trim… As I have a few of her clones running. As you can see she keeps growing out even with all the neglect.
If you are looking for a super low maintenance grow while maintaining a rich microbial soil environment 5 gal SIP is all I can say…

Oh ya, and you can get yours for the special low DIY price of $9.99 if you act today. (while supplies last) :wink: :call_me_hand:

1 Like

I don’t have much space, so i keep them small.
12fb2e75262f17972eef581a4fdc754ae698b35c_2_580x499

The red one is 5" it’s around 2 years old, I wouldn’t recommend if space isn’t a problem, ultimately whatever pot size suits will work.

I prune the roots periodically and put some fresh coco in.

4 Likes

Old Gold, Bonsai Mums by Oldtimer1
I know your not after Bonsai, OT1’s work is legend.
I still have the E-Book, he gave to me, 20+ years ago now.

5 Likes