When to move seedling to bigger pot?

Hey guys just a quick question, when is time to move this seedling to a bigger pot? Is there any hard rules on size of plant vs size of pot?

4 Likes

No hard rules.

For me it’s a question of how often I want to water them. You don’t want pots so big that they stay soggy for too long though.

All the best.

5 Likes

Ok that makes sense thanks!!

4 Likes

There is no hard rule. You have time in my opinion. Larger pot will lead to a larger plant. I would give it some more time. Nice looking plant.

5 Likes

Ok thanks Ron! Its lemon sapphire strain from the provincial government online dispensary, just experimenting with the government seeds!

3 Likes

Ya for me it’s when they’re drinking every day or thereabouts. You can keep them in small pots a long time if you want but you’ll be watering constantly and the growth will slow down.

Beautiful property!

5 Likes

I think at that stage you can leave it longer or put it in a bigger pot i don’t think either would be a issue, being outdoor If it was mine I’d be putting it in whatever pot it’s going to finish in now and letting it go.

4 Likes

Mango cbd x lemon skunk Indica fem says it loves to stretch . Sounds like it could get big is this your first run with that strain ?

1 Like

I use a seedling tray, so each seedling starts out in a ball of dirt the size of a big egg. once it has 3 sets of true leaves, I move it to its adult pot.

but your pot there is quite bigger. you could keep the seedling there for a while longer. perhaps just before any destructive training? I’m pretty new at this tho.

1 Like

Yup first time. Had 4 seedlings gave two to a friend. Other one I have is small. I may move both to adult pots tomorrow to try to get them growing

2 Likes

Be careful with big pots. It is very easy to overwater them. Are you using nutrients with them?

2 Likes

Yep I’ve been using nutes for a little over a week

Sounds like you are doing things right. Patience is the biggest problem all of us new growers have. We all want to sample what we have grown, except it takes time. We see everyone else on here with their large plants, their harvest, or their full jars. We want to be there too. I 100% wish my grow would hurry up.

The one thing is enjoy doing it. Just have fun. You will get the itch and want to plant everything.

2 Likes

when the pot is full of roots and you have to water three times day :slight_smile:

well that is how I do it :wink:

you can pop it out of the pot and take a look at the roots

that gives you an idea of when

all the best

Dequilo

4 Likes

Thanks Ron!

1 Like

Thanks!! Good advice :slight_smile:

Small pots or big if its the same soil and drains well no problem weed love’s moist not soggy soil. Grow bags have always worked the best for me they let air reach the roots and drain well with most soils . I go from 1 gal pots to 400 gal bags I water every day in the warm months every plant the same the soil mix varies . I have shallow bowls dug into each bag and when I water I fill to almost overflowing using a bubbler it takes about five minutes to water a plant . I move to bigger bags when the starts have reached 16" to 24" inches by then the roots are starting to get crowded and might start circling .

1 Like

For my plants that aren’t being grown in a perpetual schedule, I transplant once I sense that any day now, I’ll have to start watering every day. I like to go at least a full day without having to give them anything.

Container size largely depends on what size/yield plant you are seeking to achieve. And also how many times per day you are willing to spend time watering/feeding.

An excellent rule of thumb is that the larger the container, the larger the plant and resulting harvest will be

Over the many years I have been growing, I have steadily downsized, using smaller and smaller containers. Because I am not now looking for a large yielding harvest per plant, and I need my plants to be easy to move. For me, I prefer to have lots of small containers which I can easily move throughout the day in order to follow the sun. This is probably too labor intensive for most growers because the smaller the container is, the more watering/feeding it will require during the day.

1 Like