What size pots for outdoor plants

Hey guys my name is Rob and this is my first post here, I used to be a member of OG back in the early 2000s … So basically what im wondering is in the title i live in eastern Canada and never grown outdoors so this will be my first time I want to grow my plants in pots and want to know whats a good size. The only experience I have growing cannabis is indoor hydroponics and its been almost 15 years since i have…

2 Likes

Personally, I’d say at least 5 gallons. Do you plan on starting the plants indoors or starting the seeds right outside?

3 Likes

I actually plan on getting some clones already in dirt and putting them in the pots outdoors, at this point I am not able to do anything indoors so I’m very limited.

3 Likes

Bigger is always better IMO more mass means less watering do you want to go with SMART POTS? I’d suggest at least 20-25 gallons depends on how big ya want them I guess 5-6” trunk and 8’ tall perhaps?

5 Likes

I’m not necessarily looking for huge plants just something reasonable that i can move around if need be. From what I’m seeing i think 10 to 15 gallon pots would be a safe bet… At this point i am trying to plan ahead and be abit organized, i am gonna buy my pots and soil this week, does anyone have any soil recommendations as well?

3 Likes

If part of the reason of using pots is the ability to move them around if necessary, then figure out what is the largest pot you are willing and able to lug around and go with that. More is more in the case of pot plant pots. If you don’t need to move them around, then go as big as is practical for the available space, unless you want to limit plant size for some reason, or if you want to use smaller pot size to try to trigger earlier flowering.

Have you chosen a strain or strains yet?

4 Likes

Basically to sum up the reasoning for growing in pots is because we currently live with my father in-law and I wanna do a outdoor grow and even though 4 plants is legal he is old(76) and still against cannabis… so in pots i can keep them out of his sight(we live in the country) plus we are also planning to buy a house of our own and if this happens during growing season I want to be able to bring my plants.

6 Likes

And as for strains i haven’t picked anything other than its gonna have to be a indica cause from my research it seems the grow season isn’t long enough here for sativa which works for me because i prefer indicas anyway.

4 Likes

Smaller 5-10 gallons are better for late season when the weather gets questionable you can bring them inside easily

4 Likes

Cogitech is on the money and once you find out how much wet dirt you’re willing to move. Like you say you want to be able to move them around so I would go for the smallest you’re happiest at. My thought would be 5 gal

7 Likes

If you are not making your own(great recipes on OG) I would just use quality soil from your local hydro store. I am going with blue sky organics next grow. But use fox farms and Gaia green currently. I add perlite to those soils as well.

3 Likes

Also plan on doing an outdoor grow soon, and think i’ll go with 5gallon pots as suggested. I’m still learning howto grow, and have only done indoors but for outdoor if I go with soil (store bought) i could avoid using nutrients correct?

Any specific brand to look for that will provide all the nutrients from sprout to harvest with just giving her water? I’ll be trying autoflowers also.

2 Likes

Most of our modern hybrid strains will finish outside where I am (southern Ontario), so if your climate is similar you won’t be that limited in selection.

If you want to go bigger but still have mobility you could use a huge pot set onto a wagon or something like that to cart it around.

1 Like

Those premix soils with nutes can be touch and go. The problem is it will be fine for a couple months, but then start showing deficiencies. Now you know the plant needs more nitrogen (for example), but have no idea what concentration of other nutrients are in the soil. So you end up feeding and locking something else out…

I’d stick with promix or some other similar simple medium, and then use a cheap, basic one part like mega crop to feed when needed. Easy PZ lol

2 Likes

I am not planning any soil receipes this year… Thinking i will buy whatever is best suitable from walmart or Canadian tire and add whatever may be beneficial but nothing complicated… i guess hybrids would be a option as well, i am in Newbrunswick if that helps with suggestions… And also i appreciate all the replies

1 Like

I guess I could go that route, though I’m doing this setup at my parents place as they have tons of room. Don’t think megacrop will be too hard for them to use lol

1 Like

If you’ve got the room, dig a hole and chuck some compost, worm castings, or other goodies in there and let er go crazy! You shouldn’t really have to feed at all in the ground…

But ya either way mega crop is dead simple. You could even premix jugs for them every couple weeks…I did that for my mom’s plant haha

2 Likes

Great idea with the jugs…they will love that since I’d have to visit them often lol.

Going with pots for sure, and a mini tent of sorts I think to keep flies n stuff away. The oldman won’t appreciate having my dig up the yard, but a tent would work great.

2 Likes

Cardwell farms are in New Brunswick, they make great organic soils and manures. I buy there sheep manure and super soil. Cheap to buy 6$ for 60 liters of super soil, same for 30 liters of the manure.

Also Costco have a great deal ATM $20 for a compressed 104 liter bag of organic herb and vegatable. They go fast do be quick if you want some.

I will have to drive to Sussex sounds like a good price…