Move auto flower to 12/12 already?

I germinated one auto flower seed just to see what it was like and it’s only about 12 inches tall and already has hairs popping out the top…

She’s under 18/6 light right now… should I move her to 12/12 already? So soon?

I would appreciate some advice.

11 Likes

The beauty of autos is that they do not need a 12/12 lighting schedule to flower properly. You are totally safe to keep your timer set as it is currently

8 Likes

Autoflowers dont need 12/12 light. They stay under 18/6 their whole lives

7 Likes

No 12/12 for autos, keep them on 18/6.

2 Likes

You can do 12/12 on autos, hell you could do 24/0… but I’ve found anecdotally, both of those will make shorter plants… 18/6 is probably the
auto sweet spot

9 Likes

I’ve had a couple do that, both times it was a root issue.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

@Gpaw please elaborate. This is my first auto flower.

1 Like

up pot your baby. she is root bound. she will sort of stop flowering for a bit and get bigger if you do it asap. , Bigger pot more soil. DO NOT rip up the roots. You want a stress free plant, some people like to rip a spread roots. Don’t, just don’t in this case

6 Likes

@PetalPowerseed yay! Just moved her from a 9 oz cup to a 32oz jar and kept the roots in tact (though they didn’t seem all that plentiful to tell you the truth) but she is happy in her new jar and getting bigger (and hairier) every day. Thanks!

1 Like

It’s an auto, keep it on 18/6 the whole way through for best results. 16/8 if you’re having light stress problems.

It’s not going to get much bigger though it’s already flowering, next time start off in a bigger container, bound up roots trigger flowering in autos.

1 Like

Sorry, I do that sometimes… :smile:

The root structures of both plants were very undeveloped (I don’t know why).
I should have ‘clued in’ when I noticed the water usage was less than the others. Actually, I managed to kill one with overwatering… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Both plants started to flower around week 3 of veg… under an 18/6 light schedule (they were both photoperiod).
And… they were in two different grows… :man_shrugging:

Sometimes Murphy throws some weirdness at you just to keep life interesting…

Cheers
H

1 Like

@Gpaw Only 3 weeks? Are you counting from the time you put the seed in water, or when it pops out of the seed and opens up?? That seems way too fast and small to start flowering??

1 Like

I count them starting when I see green.

That caught my attention… :thinking:
I took it as a sign of severe stress. Basically the plant is trying to make a seed ASAP.

Cheers
G