Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 2)

Canā€™t wait to see how things go, I appreciate your support my friend!!

7 Likes

There are very knowledgeable growers here my friend feel free to ask. Also I have to say shroomery.org is worth using as a source if needed even if you donā€™t want to participate some amazing science based knowledge. Also of course idiots talking trash but good people. Hope you well on your adventures!

6 Likes

Another thing to figure out.
Iā€™m curious is I put spent casing into a leaf pile would it colonize? Primarily oak leaves over

2 Likes

I believe @bobgrows has done this but yes you can. Spent casing is already colonized outdoors will just give more food so can fruit some more. I think thatā€™s how it works but yes it works.

3 Likes

I just ran out of the Icebergs I grew and I loved them! I cheated and got a colonized bag from a buddy but I need to try getting my own going from scratch, have you had success with the inoculating the all in one type bags? I donā€™t have much experience with mushrooms

1 Like

I mixed mine with my soil under my plants in the spring.
I get what I call "Garden Varieties " lol people seem to love them.

4 Likes

I was thinking about spent casing in a pile of leaves. Do you think that would work?
Ton of worms and castings under the leaves

2 Likes

@Coffweed might be able to help.
https://www.google.com/search?q=spent+mushroom+substrate+put+outside+to+grow+mushrooms&oq=spent+mushroom+substrate+put+outside+to+grow+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgBECEYoAEyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIHCAMQIRigATIHCAQQIRigATIHCAUQIRifBdIBCTI2MDkzajBqNKgCAbACAQ&client=ms-android-along&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
This is a Google search @emeraldgreen

2 Likes

Whatā€™s up all you fungi people!

Finally got my grain bags going that I ordered from A-Plus a couple months ago. Used six different varieties, all LC if Iā€™m not mistaken. @MushroomManMycology hooks it UP on the PSR releases!

Got three bags of grains, and another three bags of all-in-one (grains + substrate for fruiting in one bag).

Grain bags:

• Clusterbomb (Melmac isolation) ^
  • B- (albino isolation of B+) ^
  • P. Tampanensis ā€œAlt7ā€ * ā€” gonna hold out for some sclerotia/truffles from this one! :crossed_fingers:

All-in-one bags:

• Steel Magnolia (cross of Penis Envy and Blue Magnolia Classic) ^
  • Golden Koh *
  • Leucistic Machine Elf F0b *

marked with ^ = from PGT
marked with * = from @MushroomManMycology

All done in a SAB, inoculated on 8/8.
This morning I saw the first signs of mycelium growth! Itā€™s the Alt7 showing myc, everything else is reminding me to be patient :grin:

9 Likes

Mushrooms really are a lot of leaving it alone. That said, you can pretty quickly see when things go wrong.

You can definitely put spent substrate outside. There are a few good threads that people have made on their outdoor patches. I have never really ventured into outdoor growing myself. Iā€™ll send you some links to a few good threads when I get back home from work.

Make sure to preserve some genetics when you get some fruit. Take some spore prints or swabs.

Just in general, youā€™ll have much much more failure working with all in one bags and liquid cultures that you did not make yourself. Iā€™m not saying it doesnā€™t work ā€” but definitely take some time to learn agar and with the purchase of a pressure cooker youā€™re really good to go! All in one bags and bought liquid culture can be an introduction for somebody to the world of growing mushrooms ā€” which is totally fine. At the end of the day though I have found the quote unquote hard way is actually much much easier ā€” and you know whatā€™s going in the secret sauce!

Seems like youā€™re off to a good start! Diving in the deep end is generally my style. Keep us tuned with questions and definitely check out The Hitchhikers Guide ā€” there are good and bad actors on all of these forums ā€” and for mushrooms the info on The Shroomery really is top notch. Read through the noise ā€” find the science.

There will always be someone to argue with if you so chose, be it over Uncle Benā€™s/All In One Bags/or taping a box fan to a filter ā€” just use your head and then let your head enjoy some shrooms!

I canā€™t wait to have some weed I grew and then make edibles with both weed/mush (danger will robinson!).

7 Likes

Good luck with your AIO bagsā€¦i jumped in with ghetto pftek, and had solid results both timesā€¦even did some Uncle ben shit and was good.
Be clean. Clean yourself and the area. Read the Hitchhikers guide on Shroomery.org
Win!

2 Likes

Universe 7

10 Likes

This weekend im doing some agar work with nats and either SNAPE or APERā€¦ anyone have experience with either of those?

1 Like

Ainā€™t that the truth! Back in 2020 I showed my wife a few threads on Shroomery. Her reply was ā€œI thought this stuff is supposed to make people chill out and reduce their ego?ā€ :rofl: When I go to that place I have to take what I can and ā€œleave the restā€ so to speak.

Thanks @Fullcircle this is my first time using AIO. Iā€™m lazy so itā€™ll be interesting to see how it goes! Done several rounds before with PFTek, Uncle Benā€™s instant packs, brown rice jars, vendor grain bagsā€¦ the only thing that didnā€™t work out was when I tried to order manure from a new vendor, and it gave my tub trich within 2 days of spawning. (That same vendor sent me agar plates that were bacterial, too :face_vomiting: which is why I only stick to trusted sources anymore)

This right now is me diving back into it after a couple years away from mycology. :mushroom:

8 Likes

Welcome back :). If you ever need genetics donā€™t be afraid to ask. Iā€™m going to be starting a new mushroom grow sometime in the next month or two and will start a thread here as well for any that want to follow along. Iā€™ll be starting from spore, going to agar, and then to oats, and then to bulk.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s really funny, made me audibly chuckle. Sheā€™s not wrongā€¦ haha.

5 Likes

Youā€™re not wrong ā€” although have you seen the haze threads? :wink: :wink:

I feel like people will people anywhere.

4 Likes

I quit following the ā€œAddicted to Hazeā€ thread months ago because it got too asinine. I was shocked at what a moron Tom Hill is when he showed up and started posting. Thatā€™s not the only reason, but yeah, I was just like,ā€I think Iā€™m done hereā€¦ And Iā€™m definitely never growing any of his stuff,ā€ haha.

4 Likes

if your wanting to buy bags Iā€™ve tried a whole bunch you can buy online and aplusgrain.com is by far the best and you can use a discount code from mushroommanmycology, if you need some his spores are awesome too

2 Likes

Thanks @Coffweed :coffee:
Thatā€™s mighty kind of you. Itā€™s gonna be fun to see your next run progressing here and Iā€™ll gladly follow along :v:

Thatā€™s the damn truth!

2 Likes