My attempt at CannaBonsai

I went to the local bonsai club for a few years, took classes and spent time exploring for candidates out in the woods. Recently I thought I would apply a few things to two ongoing Cannabis Bonsai. The smaller one in the clear container is sitting on a square rock and the roots are wrapping around it. The larger one has just been trained in a spiral shape for now till I find a neat rock or bone to perch it on.

SsEmtE-2S6S-c6dR_XgIvg

22 Likes

Out of likes. That’s very cool though. How do you get them to perch on the rock? Do you plant it in soil above the rock then erode the soil away?

3 Likes

I set a teen seedling on the rock and spread the roots out over the rock, and then buried it to the top of the rock. I’ll dig it out a bit tomorrow to show the roots better. There is a dude from Vancouver that does this with lots of different genetics and I believe sells them.

I hope to get to his skill level with time. Hoping to keep these two alive over winter and see how ancient I can get them to look.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Following.
Peace

3 Likes

Very cool. Im a bonsai fan also but i have yet to attempt it on weed. Keep up the good work

1 Like

What strains are these?

1 Like

Blueberry x Black Candyland seeds from an accidental breeding in 2019.

I exposed the roots a bit this morning. Going to get it into a new pot today and hope to have the rock mostly exposed with the roots.

8 Likes

Made the young one a new home, free DQ square bucket cut down on the table saw.
It has a bunch of lateral roots and they spread out nicely.

Another view.

Short pot to stunt the roots on purpose and make them spread out radially.

9 Likes

First Class Funk: Bonsai:

My next attempt will be root-over-rock.

:crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

That is a great looking plant, a rock will be cool.