My buds have no flavor

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? Do you mean that the carbs may attract microbes that are not needed or damaging or that the plant should be doing this on it’s own? I think you lost me with the technical terms. I so want to understand the art of living soil.

1 Like

There is a complex symbiotic relationship between the plant and the microbes. Jeff Lowenfels book “Teeming with Microbes” explains it in detail. Basically, the plant uses light and carbon to make sugars during the day, then exudes them out the roots at night. Plants can exude up to 40% of the sugars they make in this way.

Molasses has a lot of other benefits, micro nutrients, etc. I also use it as a food source for my ferments.

7 Likes

I love this because it is another example as to why you must run a dark period, veg and flowering both.

3 Likes

I’d say I wouldn’t believe there were those who don’t veg, but my friend who’s helping me out this grow learning with me while I help him setup his place to start some seeds I gave him from @ReikoX in the fem mix. One disintegrated, but all others lived.
I have another friend who’s started on September 3rd and his setup is showing a beautiful plant.
I’ll have to make sure I get him to visit here or work with him to max his efficiency and yeild as best as I can manage. He’s already top and fim his plant both. I told him to limit doing that too many times unless he has to. I’ll make sure he has a long veg cycle and flushes in the last 2 weeks as I know he’s just using miracle gro soil, bottle nutrients, a blurple 1000w(?) from Amazon, and he’s training them early on.

If it kills me I’ll keep him from destroying the quality of that bud. I’ll be smoking it with him once he harvests his first grow over here as a test. Not his first grow ever, but he’s learning the science behind growing now. He’s a old-school type grower who goes by instinct, but has a black thumb. I’m just happy his fiance is smart about botany and I can trust her to keep it as healthy as possible. She knows when to listen to my advice when it applies to her grow. Let’s face it it’s her grow now🤣
I’ll update here after harvest on the flavor.
I really hope I can keep the flavor from being destroyed by neglect and too much love.

2 Likes

@Meesh this will probably answer a lot of your questions that @ReikoX was explaining enjoy ! “Teaming with microbes”. A book that should be in every gardeners repertoire!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cannabis-cultivation-and-science-podcast/id1258365194?mt=2&i=1000389801735

5 Likes

I’m wondering if he meant teaspoons?

3 Likes

Do you mean spoons?

Cheers :wink:

1 Like

I think it’s just a larger volume of water… like a barrel. :oil: :ocean: :elephant:

:evergreen_tree: don’t you oil your ocean elephant?

4 Likes

Oil my ocean elephant?

Are you on drugs? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I believe you are all on to something! I just tested some dry but uncured buds off of some clones I got and it tastes better than the same strain of autos I started from seed (got these from a different place). I believe my blue dream autos had some shit genetics, hence no flavor. I did buy the seeds before I knew shit from shinola about choosing reputable seed banks. Hopefully next year, I will be dialed in and get some better seeds for my grows.

5 Likes

@cannacrab the article you posted has a completely different theory on curing than the old burping jelly jars. I think I’m gonna try this method instead. I believe it may be more conducive to my humidity levels here in So Cal. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

@Meesh

I love Ed because he keeps up with the latest research.
He isn’t going to promote anything that isn’t scientifically based.

2 Likes

im going to say its dry/cure issue… if it smells great when you chop it, and smells like shit 4 weeks later, something went wrong in that time…

i think my problem was trimming and jarring my stuff too early… because i harvest/trim all my stuff alone its a lot of work (and im lazy)… i harvested 10 big plants in a 4x4, hung the plants whole to dry, and the first 2 i trimmed and jarred as soon as i thought they were done drying … the other 8 i just tied up in big black garbage bags so they wouldn’t over dry, but left all fan/sugar leaves on them…

the first 2 plants i trimmed/dried ended up with a hay/grass smell … fast forward 3-4 months and those other 8 plants were still whole in the garbage bags… i took them out to trim them and DAMN they smelled and tasted amazing!! - i think because the garbage bags weren’t completely air tight so they just really slooowed down the drying process… and all the chlorophyll was gone by the time i started trimming so it didn’t get chlorophyll all over my buds …

6 Likes

I think you are totally on to something @legalcanada. The more I have thought about, the more I believe it was the heat and drying process. It happened to all my autos which finished in the hottest part of summer. I think it was just too damn hot. I’m gonna have to figure out how to afford an a/c for next year or only grow autos in fall or winter. My photos are hanging to dry now. It’s a lot cooler, I’ll let you know how they turn out.

6 Likes

ya that was only my 2nd crop and literally the only ones which ended up smelling/tasting like they did on chop day were the plants i was too lazy to trim for 4 months after harvest :joy: :grin: :grinning: they did end up a little overdry, but imo better than tasting like hay/grass

3 Likes

When i don’t really have the time to anything but the time to dry the stuff, i use a wide clay jars in a temperate but dry room than i place just in front of a ventilator h24. Long, but very efficient early curing.

1 Like

A lot of the terpenes in cannabis boil off around 80 to 90 degrees. Why a lot of indoor growers get hay/grass bud cuz the light cooks off the smell if its too close.So if your drying in those temperatures it’ll smell like grass and possibly end up smelling like nothing cuz all of the essential oils are gone. But some strains do not smell as much so it could be both things combining in a bad way.

4 Likes

So, this time I am drying my buds in my office with a fan circulating but not blowing directly on them, instead of my garage. It feels a lot cooler in there and the buds appear to be drying much slower and basically no smell, which I read was good and means the terpenes aren’t burning off. If anything it has a light smell of maybe wet grass or leaves. I’m really hoping this is gonna improve my flavor. If this doesn’t work, I’ll have to come up with a new plan.

4 Likes

Holy shit you guys, just noticed that my last post was 17 days ago and my buds are still drying since I moved them to my office with the fan. Do you think this slower drying is going to be to my benefit as far as flavor?

5 Likes

Yes. Meesh too. :wink: Weather cooling off has been a surprising help here too. I’ve been sampling for about a week & was a bit confused…usually dries so fast.

The slower the better assuming no molds & crud.

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes