Net pot size for 5 gal Dwc

Hey all, part of my grow involves 5 gal dwc buckets with 6 inch net pots. A lot of the photos I am seeing looks like folks might be using 3” or possibly even 2”. Haven’t been able to find posts on subject, would appreciate any insight good or bad on which size of net pot works best.

Tks
Smib

1 Like

I use these and nothing but net…they also work in 5 gals buckets…

6 Likes

Beautiful roots. What size net pot is that? Also are you running a sterile setup?

1 Like

3" and yes…

1 Like

Thanks for your patience.

I used 3in this time, they get wobbly when the plants get big but they work. I’m switching to 5 or 6 inch though I feel like the larger base will give more support.

1 Like

I use 3.75" here, just because the guide i followed for the DIY DWC system had them. Can confirm wobbly, but I ordered new ones with a wider lip to see if that helps. Just haven’t used them yet.

2 Likes

Mine were wide lipped but still wobbly, granted my plants were all around 6 ft.
I’m about to order these for my next grow. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027DN7EE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_MDSMKH31916C2VW1EW5P

1 Like

Yes they can be but I use a foam disk to hold them in place as they grow taller and with the big root ball it keeps them stable.

3 Likes

Never thought to use foam, ended up tying my plants to the buckets

it worked but made res changes and top ups a pain in the ass.

2 Likes

Yes, as the plant grows the stalk will get thicker and the foam will stable it from getting wobbly .

So many options. Thanks everyone for your comments. @EugeneDebs420 i also tie my plant to lid when I LST. I use small eye hooks.

2 Likes

Someone on one of my threads recommended taking an extra net pot, cutting the net part off the bottom, then cutting the top once, vertically. Then you put it around the net pot in use, like a collar. It definitely helps them stay in place. They still tilt a little, but nothing extreme anymore.

1 Like

Holy shit, you just solved my biggest problem! Tf could it have been so simple. Smdh🤦‍♂️

1 Like

I just chopped a plant down and I wanted to you guys my styrofoam disk…as you can see the main branch grew nice and thick and my styrofoam disk helps keeps the plant stable, a nice big root ball also will help it be stable…

Looks nice. I see the styrofoam in the netpot but is the netpot then inserted into more styrofoam(that is how it appears to me in the photo) acting or is the lid?