Nettle is amazing fertilizer

I use fertilizer teas just not this time of year now that my central air is in use. It would make my whole house smell like a pig pen it I used it now. I also add Biogrow from Biobizz for my indoor watering. It is suppose to be enriched with minerals and vitamins to help with the loss of fertilizer teas this time of year.

1 Like

Very cool, I didn’t know this was helpful for us humans, I’m actually going on a health tangent recently and trying to slow down the aging process (ya I know good luck) but I’m all in , working out again, trying to eat right, taking my vitamins, sunlight, bare feet on ground all that stuff and form a regiment that works for me. I’ve gotta look into this from all angles. I really wanna try LSO growing as well but just haven’t began acquiring materials yet as I’ve not been able to.

i’ve recently decided i need to do the same thing, the wife started healthy cooking a couple of years ago and i’m running again. now just need to start the workout on the off days and i’ll be good.

oh, just one more thing: (i love columbo) it’s regimen. a regiment is a whole lot of people. :hammer_and_pick: :building_construction: :beers:

1 Like

If you have horsetail growing in or around your area, that stuff contains an incredibly high amount of silica and can be used in a fermented tea or cut up and thrown on as mulch.

4 Likes

I would say both are beneficial. When making a JLF out of nettle you exponentially propagate the specific microbe set that will breakdown the nettle. Top dress with it and water it in with the JLF. Best of both worlds :slight_smile:

Nice thread @Rogue , hear to tag along with ya’ll
Good Vibes :sunglasses:

2 Likes

No such thing as a weed. Just plants growing where people dont want them too :sunglasses: is a saying I heard the other day bro

3 Likes

Or “the only difference between a flower and a weed is judgement.”

2 Likes

Instead of steeping in a bucket of water, what about just feeding it to composting worms? Anyone took a stab at that concept?

5 Likes

instead of grass fed cows you got nettle fed worms?

High quality poops? You may be onto something my friend… lol

6 Likes

@CrunchBerries does all the time

2 Likes

:joy::joy:

I mean when u put it that way…ya that sums it up!

That’s the HUGE benefit of having and maintaining a worm bin for the beautiful flora of fresh castings and also being able to decide their diet which ultimately makes it back into the garden. I need to get some worms and get a bin going again but in the past I threw them all the fan leaves off my plants, some occasional brown bananas I got for cheap at 99cent for K , kitchen scraps and veggies harvest leftovers and it made for some excellent nutrition I never dealt with deficiencies, just explosive growth and was recycling back into my soil

5 Likes

Big fan of nettles, and used to make FPJ and JLF all the time with it but this year I’m pretty hesitant to continue doing so, because of possible HLVd contamination.

This is taken from the Tumi Genomics website (Hop Latent Viroid — TUMI Genomics) :

“Hop latent viroid has a fairly narrow host range. The only plants characterized to be natural hosts of HLVd are hops plants, stinging nettle and cannabis. However, viroids are capable of rapid mutation and evolution, so it is possible that an alternative HLVd sequence could evolve to infect other crops. In line with this idea, it is known that heat treatment results in mutations in the HLVd genome that could allow the viroid to replicate in other crops”

2 Likes

Well they are both having similar ways of protecting themselves. Cannabis has silica trichomes full of cannabinoids, and nettles have silica spikes full of acid.

1 Like

Which species of horsetail? The reed-looking species or the fern?

download

download

1 Like

The reed type, Equisetum arvense.

1 Like

Good, I live at the edge of what was once the largest swamp in the Midwest, nearly 600,000 acres. Those things and cattails are in every ditch.

1 Like