Nettle is amazing fertilizer

Excuse me darlings, do you have a moment to talk about the wonders of nettle as fertilizer?

Yes, it contains an wide array of minerals, nitrogen and a large variety of other goodie-goodies.

If it wouldn’t grow so abundantly in the wild nearby where I live I’d sow it in my very own garden.

Oh wait…

I topdessed this pot with nettle pulp from my tea and a seed survived the boiling water and sprouted!

And check this out, I have this other pot in which a couple of my plants have been struggling and I started top dressing with the pulp from the nettle tea I drink daily and behold, all kinds of sprouts popped up from seeds I sowed ages ago!

So, my message is: drink nettle tea, it’s amazing not only for your health but also for the health of your soil and thus plants!

Feel free to share your experience using nettle as fertilizer and as a human food/drink.

That is all, thank you.

Peace!

25 Likes

Can’t say I’ve done it myself, but I’ve seen some old school gardeners that pull up nettles (as well as other ‘weeds’) and soak them in buckets of water, for months at a time to create fertilisers.

6 Likes

Would Purple Nettle have any benefits?I have tons of it all over I leave it for the bees.I let it go wild and get like a foot tall I have tons of it everywhere

3 Likes

@SonsOfAvery

Doesn’t make much sense to me when you can simply use nettle as mulch, cut some of it down and top dress with it, it seems to stimulate mycorrhizal fungi, and it acts as a moisture barrier.
Never leave any soil bare and you’ll need a lot less water.
Mulch makes a garden so much more robust against both draught and frost.
And on top of that it feeds the soil.
The benefits stack up.

@CapnCannabis

Any kind of nettle will do, cut some of it down and use it to enrich your soil, but leave some for the bees ofcourse! Thank you for thinking of the bees! :+1:

4 Likes

Always looking out for the little homies thanks for the info Brother

3 Likes

I thinknots just more so you have an organic liquid feed with readily available nutrients for the plants.

I agree the mulch is priority, but if you have an absolute forrest of nettles growing nearby, no harm in soaking a bucket full for future us to.

3 Likes

I might get into making those kinda magic potions once I have my own peace of land. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Stinging nettles make great tea for plants.
They are nutriment rich, there’s I term but I forget, something like bio accumulator or some such.

I never had access to enough to try it. But I know how to do it.

• Collect a bucket load and mash/cut it up
  • fill with water and soak for a week or two
  • filter and it’s good for a couple months
  • caution, I forget how much to cut it

Cheers
G

6 Likes

This is a pretty good tutorial on making some ‘weed’ feeds.
:v:

4 Likes

Nettles make great companion plants with cannabis.

As well as other benefits.

P J

8 Likes

I was told growing cannabis next to stinging nettles causes an increased tricome effect from the two learning from each-other synergysticly.I wonder if that’s true?

4 Likes

1 kilogrammer / 2.2 lbs (fresh with roots) for 10 liters of rain water (optimal). Two weeks is the max in general, but when bubbles (fermentation) stop to be seen it’s ready to be stored in hermetic jerricans (plastic only). On the concept, it’s very similar to cannabutter in fact except the temps ^^

2 Likes

I made some fertilizer tea a couple of weeks ago. Green Willow Shoots and leaves(Best for Growth Hormones) Nettles, Dandelions, Aloe Vera, Thistles, and some other green and flowering plants.

4 Likes

i will try it when i get a chance and let you know. sounds like a fun experiment.

I’m going to transplant some and use it as a cover crop in my fabric pot.It makes a real good moisture retention I noticed the areas it grows are always nice and moist and for some reason it always attracts the praying mantis around here.I always find them or thier egg clusters in clumps of the stuff.I don’t ever have to spray for bugs with them and the lady bugs anymore the lady bugs like hanging out on it too

1 Like

high I agree it is amazing fertilizer, it contains silica so it makes plants really strong, apparently just after first application… and silica reduce biotic stress at plants… so they are more happy…

I use it only outdoors/greenhouse as it can get really stinky! but I saw they are selling some nettle tea for indoors…

I put nice fresh strong nettles into barrel with water and cover it, in week on the sun it is done… I dont filter it at all, it is needed to get air to it, as air kills pathogens, and by time it gets more and more stinky LOL and after month or more it gets really strong, so be careful with it, and kind of more dense than water. yup!

plants have more tough cell structure, so tough that it is even hard for insect to bite it. miracle fertilizer to me!

2 Likes

Is this the burn hazel type of nettles? Or non stinging nettle?

I have been adding Diatomaceous Earth to my water for silica for my indoor and outdoor plants. No smell and it is pretty cheap stuff.

I just recently started using it for Silica after talking to you about nettles and silica.

2 Likes

yeah any silica is good. but nettle tea or nettle brew contains other beneficial elements, like amino acids, proteins and minerals. N, Fe, Mg, Zn etc… also these vitamins: A, B1, B5, C, D, E, and K

it is really visible, after first application, like plants are boosted and stronger…quicker in growth…

4 Likes

I use stinging nettle aka urtica dioica

2 Likes