Nevil passes and the seed drops start!

I just stumbled onto this thread today, and it really saddens me to see so many of you people throwing shade for no reason.

I was friends with Nevil, and I felt bad that he passed away in March, and I wrote an article about it titled; Legacy of a Legend.

Years before he ever passed away, I had already made the variety I call O.N. Haze, which is a combination of Original Haze and Nevil’s Haze, and the Nevil’s Haze did not come from Mr. Nice/Scotty/Shantibaba, but came directly from Nevil in the late 90s.

I have been growing my cutting of Nevil’s haze since I got out of prison in 2004, then in 2012, when I was getting the Cannabis Culture Award with Dr. Lester Grinspoon and Richard Branson (you may have seen both of the gentlemen in my two documentaries: THE UNION: The Business Behind Getting High & The Culture High) and I happened to be in Amsterdam, so I went and saw Sam and asked him if I could get some of the same seeds he sold Nevil of Original Haze, and I did. Not only did I get Original Haze from him, but I also got:

(Haze/Skunk #1 X Skunk #1) X (Haze X Skunk #1)
(Haze/Skunk No.1) X (Hawaiian Indica X Haze X SK#1)
(Haze/Skink No.1 x Love Potent) x (Haze/Skunk No.1)
(Sleestack X Skunk No.1) x (Haze/Skunk No.1)
Thai/Haze X Skunk No.1

And many many more…

So hate on me all you want, but, I’m not even close to finished with coming out with more haze crosses and varieties.

When I came home from that journey, I essentially backcrossed my Nevil’s Haze female with an Original Haze male from Sam’s seeds, and I called the combination ON Haze. It’s really that simple: I wanted a hazier Nevil’s Haze, that still had a touch of the Northern Lights which set Nevil’s Haze apart, and that seemed like the best way to do it. I have always liked NL#5 x Haze, and considering I started going to Amsterdam back in 1994, and was standing next to Jack Herer when Ben Dronkers named the variety after him, and hanging out with Nevil and smoking his weed at the Cannabis Castle, I think I know what I’m talking about what I’m talking about Nevil’s Haze.

And to say I’m name-dropping is so obnoxious, if any of you kids would pick up Jack Herer’s book, and read it, you would see that I’ve been an editor of it since 1994. It is a project I have worked on tirelessly for countless hours in order to help educate people about the true history of this plant.

I’ve also seen in this thread that people have mentioned Old Ed Holloway, incorrectly stating that it was him that sent the ticket to Sam, when in fact it was not, it was Wernard Brunning. And I know firsthand that Old Ed did not regret Sam coming to Amsterdam, as I was with Old Ed on his 80th birthday when Sam came and gave him a most beautiful present of hashish, the two men were good friends and I know this from my own relationship with them both, and because I spent a over a year of my life growing and breeding with Old Ed at Positronics in 1995 & 1996, and even more time with him in my Bel Air mansion in 1997. While these people may be internet characters to you, they are my old friends.

I would also like to point out that, somebody asked, what does Mel Frank have to do with this; it’s really not complicated, he and I have been friends for over 20 years, the last time I went up to his house before getting busted in 1997 with my Bel Air mansion with over 4000 marijuana plants, was to go up to his place and pick up some Skunk No.1 seeds that he had made the year before. 22 years later, I have some of those exact 1996 seeds in my refrigerator right now, and those are the seeds that have been selling for $20 apiece. On average it costs about $200 a year to keep an old refrigerator running, and he’s had his refrigerator running with the seeds staying cold for over 22 years, his germination rate is 100% on 1996 seeds. I think they’re worth it, especially considering Mel Frank grew them. If you think that’s too expensive for you, I really don’t care, don’t buy them, I won’t lose any sleep at night.

The reason I started selling seeds is because of the 2018 Hemp Farm Bill, that legalized all cannabis/hemp products with less than 0.3% THC. Cannabis seeds have zero cannabinoids, and are now de facto legal. I had already started putting together my catalog well before Nevil passed, and when I showed the catalog to Mel, he liked it and I urged him to let me sell some of his seeds, because I know he’s been keeping them in his refrigerator for a very long time, and they’re not going to do anybody good sitting in there forever, so he agreed, and at age 75, I became the first person in his life that he has ever let sell his seeds.

As a kid, I was 13 years old when I traded a $20 bag for one of his books and started growing, and had my life changed forever. The fact that he is now my friend and I am bestowed with the honor of selling his seeds, is a dream come true to me.

Some of you people stating that I am just some writer who recently started growing and that really makes me laugh, as you clearly have the internet, yet, have you not tried typing my name into Google and doing a search? I’ve literally been growing cannabis since 1984, I’ve been getting busted for growing cannabis since 1995, and I’ve never stopped growing cannabis, I’ve been raided in 1995, 1997, served five years in prison, got out, and started the nursery called “Select Strains” and flooded LA with OG Kush cuts till I was raided again in 2006, then again in 2009, and again in 2012, and I was prosecuted every single one of those times because I never cooperate, simply because I hate the system.

I have more experience growing cannabis than I do doing anything else in my life, I have always grown my own cannabis because I can’t find the types of cannabis I want to smoke from anybody who’s growing skunk or early maturing varieties, which is the majority of everybody growing.

All of the seeds that I make, I sell for just $10 a piece, which I think is very reasonable considering I see SSSC advertising €400 for 12 seeds of questionable Haze. I see twentysomethings “breeding” together Sour Diesel and OG Kush and acting like they’re doing something, charging hundreds of dollars a pack.

The only seeds that I’m selling for $20 each are select old seeds made by Mel Frank, which he made and stored in a refrigerator with desiccants since 1996 and 2010, respectively. If anybody in this industry deserves to get top dollar for his efforts, it’s that 75-year-old man who paved the way for most of us to know how to grow. And comparing $20 to the BS prices I see people asking, still seems cheap to me.

Which brings me to Durban Poison, which is a variety I’m not that familiar with. I did not get a chance to grow or smoke the original varieties back in the day, and when I went to go pick up seeds from Mel, he said that they were Durban Poison, and considering who he is, I’m not one to argue with him, he knows better than I know if it is even close to what he remembers.

And that also brings me to the other point that, all of his recently made seeds, I’m also selling for just $10.

So don’t let the facts get in the way of your fiction. I can see a majority of you people don’t know what you’re talking about, and can’t read my catalog and see what I am really selling seeds for; I also realize that the truth ruins your BS story.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area, and I have access to many varieties of clone only cultivars, and over two years ago I was doing a nursery and I had over 150, clone only cultivars in my collection, I took less than half of them and crossed my favorites against my ON Haze male, for two reasons, one is because I was always a fan of Nevil’s NL#5 x Haze, and Kali Mist (I also worked for Simon/Serious Seeds, running around Amsterdam and growing his seedless AK-47, Chronic and Kali Mist, the year I lived in Amsterdam, but again I have seen people say I am just a writer and have no experience growing and I just laugh), and I always loved the combination of Haze male with a faster flowering female.

One night when I was playing chess with Nevil, he gave me a large bud of Nevil’s Haze, and while I was breaking it up, I found one seed in it and I offered it back to him, and he laughed at me, and said that he had a lot of them, and that I could keep it. I was stoned and I exclaimed; “Thank you, I hope it’s a female”, and he said to me: “No, hope it’s a male, that way you can cross it against all of your favorite females and make them better.”

That moment always stuck with me, and last year before he passed away, I decided to do exactly that, cross a lot of these amazing clone only cultivars with a longer flowering ON Haze, to brighten them up and bring some Haze back into the mix.

I love long flowering equatorial varieties, and I have since I first encountered them back in 1994, when I got to Amsterdam. I have been making seeds and growing cannabis since I was 13 years old. I wonder how many of you have been so good growing cannabis that you’ve been able to get yourself from being poor and living in your your grandma’s house growing in your closet, to just 13 years later to being in a Bel Air mansion and able to fill it up with all your favorite cannabis varieties, especially after having cancer ten freaking times as a child.

I don’t care what anybody thinks of me, I have never lived my life pandering to other people’s expectations. The truth is the truth and my experience is easy to demonstrate, if you don’t like Haze, I really don’t care.

But don’t say that I am exploiting my old friends passing, if he was still alive I would still be doing exactly what I’m doing because I had no expectation he was going to pass away last March.

If you haven’t read what I wrote about Nevil, do check it out, it might help you better understand my perspective.

https://growmag.com/growmag_feature/legacy-of-a-legend/

28 Likes

Woah!! Now that is some serious info. Thanks man for correcting the BS. Hope you Stay around. :v:

And no disrespect but your seeds are still over priced Even if Mel frank stored them.

12 Likes

:rolling_eyes:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

@ToddMcC nice to see you posting some history on here, we chatted briefly on facebook not long before nevil passed . I was the random dude rambling about og kush lol. Sucks people are so quick to assume the negative but the timing probably just feels off to some being right after nevil passed. It would be nice to see some more pure varieties of nevils work being released, or even gifted out to the masses. How ever the genetics you have preserved and acquired are yours to do with and release as you choose, your not making anybody buy seeds.That being said you have contributed more to the medical movement in this country this most can comprehend. You have been a advocate and supporter of cannabis in ways most could only dream of. La back then was crazy, the bunker weed ,the kushes hitting the scene. I still have some old packs preserved of the positroniks master kush I was gona pop and get going here soon :wink:

5 Likes
P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }

That is a well written article and a nice flashback to that old HT article
and a very well written post as a whole. People are quick to assume
and judge without seeing the whole picture or any part of the picture
at all these days online. I don’t think the cannabis community is an
exception to that general trend in society and it is sad to see a lot
of negativity no matter what the topic of discussion is but it seems
to be par for the course of social media. It’s easy to criticize from
an anonymous handle online and it is rare to see people actually
standing up to be counted, as Nevil himself said when he came online
back in 2010. Some people seem to feel entitled to judge others but
never put themselves through the scrutiny by giving their own true
account.

Some of the linages of the old classics like the Jack Herer and Super
Silver Haze that you stated are a bit different from the accounts of
Nevil when he posted online. I am not saying this in any way to argue
or question your statement but solely from the stance of interest of
your experience with those old classic lines of seeds and the people
who made them and sold them. The time you wrote about is a classic
time of cannabis at the height of the drug war and it was also the
time when I emerged into the cannabis smoking world as a teen. I love
the old stories of the weed and times. I fondly remember the old
Skunk#1, Super Skunk, Jack Herer and later the Super Silver Haze that
came from Nevil in those days as well as the first years of Serious
Seeds so I really appreciate you giving your account of those times.
Thank you sir!

6 Likes

Crosslinking…

7 Likes

:thumbsup:

2 Likes

Thanks and I wish I had more of Nevil’s varieties, but as it stands I only have Nevil’s Haze and SSH, I wish I had more of his work.

But that is also why I went back to Sam for seeds; I lived in A’dam, I have seen how muddied up the genetics have become getting passed through rather unscrupulous seed makers, I wanted to go back to what I call the primary colors of cannabis:

Afghan #1 (I got it from Mel Frank)
Hindu Kush (Sam)
Skunk #1 (Sam)
Original Haze (Sam)
Thai (Sam)
CBD (Sam)
Northern Lights (in my opinion, NL is expressed in OG Kush, NL #2 IMHO)

And a whole list of others, as even going back to my collection of plants which I had at my Bel Air (not Beverly Hills) home, was a wide range of the shortest flowering to the longest flowering varieties I could find. Losing that collection, was harder on me than doing 5 years in the feds.

While I was in Amsterdam, Old Ed and I were breeding, and many of the varieties we produce together in Holland came back with me and were growing in Los Angeles. If I had not been raided, my seed company would have started in 1997, and not 2019.

Old Ed and I in 1996 - Positronics, Amsterdam

Polyploidy (4 branches instead of 2 at each node) Bel Air, 1997

I called this plant Babylon, it smelled like Haze, but grew like Skunk, I miss it dearly.

Because - well - fuck it - life is short - have some fun with it.

After hanging out at Nevil’s “Cannabis Castle”, I knew that I wanted my own and this was my version of the daydream, as it seemed a fitting place to be growing amazing cannabis.

16 Likes

I think those pictures pretty much sum up what I want out of life! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: love the story man and I think having a mansion to grow 4000 plants in regardless of whether you lost great genetics and some of your free time is still admirable and ontop of that it wasn’t legal then. I’m out here trying to live essentially the same dream I’ve just gotta get my bank game on​:blush:

3 Likes

Thank you for coming here and posting some of your first hand experiences. There are many of us that really crave the knowledge of what was going on and where some of these strains came from.

5 Likes

Very cool pictures. :v:

1 Like

Nice fake name, why ya hiding?

I find it funny how people who are afraid to use their true identity like to throw shade on those who do.

And for the record, I have NOTHING to do with High Times.

2 Likes

Thank you, as a kid who had cancer, this whole journey has been a crazy dream, I say take risks and have fun. We all die at the end, and nature favors the bold.

Jack Herer and I redesigned The Emperor Wears No Clothes in this house, I grew the Black Domina leaf that is on the cover. We had Dennis Peron’s gubernatorial party here that year and had a lot of fun just getting high and growing.

9 Likes

Very cool stuff. Glad you joined up and stopped by.

3 Likes

Thank you.

It was definitely interesting times.

An accurate article about what we were doing at the time:

Cancer Patient Ran ‘Pot Palace’ - Los Angeles Times

10 Likes

@ToddMcC Damn dude that article is amazing. What a crazy ass life you have lived. Much respect for your work and sacrifice. Dudes like you are what started this.

Crazy they valued each plant at $5000. Peacefully trying to grow plants and they screw you like that.

Any chance you can name a few of the special strains that were lost during the mansion raid? :v:

6 Likes

:wave: Thanks. :sunglasses:

The apparent confusion is very satisfying to me.

7 Likes

$20 for a seed? Fuck that for a joke, even if it hatched and Shiva come out and blew me I’d still say BS , and regrettably I ain’t some 20 something kid :grin:. That said, there are plenty of suckers with the coin and no sense and that’s capitalism for you.

9 Likes

I heard alot about a polyploid plant that was held in certain circles in Los Angela’s. Was that by chance a kush ? There are alot of differant opinions about people in the cannabis industry and with out getting into all of that stuff, sam ,the Holland/amsterdam seed movement etc I will say you have been at it longer then most and have put your self out there in the name of cannabis way before it was the cool thing to do. I beleive its primary purpose is medicine and that everybody should have the right and ability to use it. Unfortunately money and greed have always had a large influence on the cannabis industry and culture and with legalization that is going to become fueled even more. In the old days not that long ago You had to at least realy have some balls or love the plant and beleive in it alot to risk it , now everybody can jump aboard and shout about how great weed is with out the threat of ruining there life. If my memory stand correct weren’t you the first person to claim medical in the usa with a international prescription? Your A cancer survivor and a weed warrior, regardless of some peoples opinions about the paths you took in the industry I’d say your knowlege is apreciated here.

6 Likes

First off, I have bought a $20 bag that was smoked fast and was gone the next day, yet if I buy a seed for $20, I can grow it and have cannabis for a lifetime. To me, that does not seem like a bad deal.

Second, anything of value that is damn near as old as an antique, is going to be more expensive than something made recently.

So I ask:

How much do you sell your heirloom seeds for that you have been storing for over 20 years?
Do you have any that I can buy?
Where did you get them?
Can you prove authenticity like I can with Mel Frank and Sam?

Do you even have seeds that were properly stored for 20+ years, nevermind grown by a luminary like Mel Frank, and if you do, what are they worth to you?

Did you do germination test on them? Are you getting 100% germination like Mel does? I’ve sold quite a few of his 1996 seats so far, and every single person has been thrilled and has told me that they sprouted within 24 hours.

I have paid both a lot and a little for seeds, and what I paid did not necessarily determine one was better or worse, but in the cases that I spent more money, I was buying something I could authenticate.

And as an open question, because I see seeds being sold for a wide range, and €400 for 12 seeds does seem excessive to me, so I wonder, what do you all think seeds should be selling for?

And when you answer, can you just indicate if you’re somebody who actually grows and makes seeds or if you’re just somebody buys them to grow. To me there’s a huge difference, because I think a lot of people don’t understand how expensive it is to be a breeder.

Anyone who wants to see my actual catalog and not just single screen shot can email me for a copy: todd@toddpmccormick.com

8 Likes