New Samsung LED - LM561h LM301h

Samsung is putting out the lm561 and 301 diodes in a horticulture full spectrum package!!!

SAMSUNG NEWSROOM

New horticulture LEDs are designed to promote healthier plant growth and enhance farming conditions for indoor growers

Samsung Electronics, a world leader in advanced digital component solutions, today announced new horticulture LED lineups, including full-spectrum packages and modules as well as color (monochromatic) LEDs. Optimized for lighting in greenhouses and vertical farming*, the new LEDs provide a broader spectrum of light for healthier plant growth, enhanced farming environments and reduced lighting system costs.

Full-spectrum light encompasses a continuous range of wavelengths from blue and green to red, creating a light blend suitable for horticultural uses. Compared to narrow spectrum lighting, Samsung’s full-spectrum-based LEDs encourage healthier and more balanced plant growth by stimulating photosynthesis, enhancing plant immunity and increasing nutritional value. Additionally, the LEDs can help to improve the overall farming environment by enabling growers to observe plant conditions more easily and spot diseases, like damping-off, at an earlier stage under bright white lighting. As high-efficiency and cost-effective alternatives to higher-priced red LEDs, full-spectrum LEDs can help lower the costs of a grower’s entire lighting system.

“Samsung’s full-spectrum-based horticulture LEDs present a new way of using LED lighting to improve plant cultivation at reduced system costs,” said Un Soo Kim, senior vice president of LED Business Team at Samsung Electronics. “We plan to further expand our horticulture offerings by integrating the latest in smart LED lighting technology, including Samsung’s leading sensor and connectivity solutions.”

In addition to its full-spectrum white LEDs, Samsung has added blue, red and far-red LEDs to its horticulture family to offer an extensive variety of wavelength combinations and meet the different design needs of horticulture lighting manufacturers.

Built on Samsung’s market-proven LED technologies, the new full spectrum and color LED lineups feature a high degree of reliability, making them well-suited to withstand high temperatures and humidity levels as well as agricultural chemicals used in greenhouses and vertical farming.

Samsung’s horticulture LED packages are now in mass production for lighting manufacturers and growers worldwide. The modules will become available in the first quarter of 2019.

Samsung’s New Horticulture LED Lineups:
Product
Size(mm) Light Color PPF**(ÎŒmol/s)PE**(ÎŒmol/J)
Package
Mid-power
(65mA, 25℃)
LM301H 3.0 x 3.0 White 0.54 3.03
LM561H 5.6 x 3.0 White 0.50 2.88

High-power
(350mA, 25℃)

LH351H 3.5 x 3.5 White 2.52 2.56
Blue (450nm) 2.80 2.80
Deep Red (660nm) 2.32 3.16
Far Red (730nm) 0.22 0.33
Module
Horticulture LED Module

(1.2A, 25℃)

281.0 x 41.0 White 70.90 2.74
561.0 x 41.0 White 141.80 2.74

• Vertical farming is the practice of growing crops in vertically stacked layers and usually takes place in controlled, indoor environments.

** PPF (photosynthetic photon flux) indicates the total amount of photons in the photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) range – a spectral range between 400 and 700nm – that can enhance plant photosynthesis and is measured in micromoles per second (ÎŒmol/s).

*** PE (photon efficacy) indicates the light efficacy level for photosynthesis in plants and is measured in micromoles per joule

@Baudelaire you get any additional info about these yet? Have any plans for em? With it being the same package you shouldn’t even have to change the PCB design much if at all.

14 Likes

Maybe with new ones coming down the line, the older series will drop in price.

5 Likes

Wow! That’s exciting. Would love to try some out. These QBs are pretty great so far.

3 Likes

Really nice info. 2019 promiss be good to us

3 Likes

They’re really not that expensive to buy unless somebody has stuck them on their own PCB and rebranded. The actual lm561c diodes are pretty cheap. Cheaper still would be a lot better though naturally. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I know how to do pcb soldering and have equips to do it. Maybe I can do my own quantum board if I find a pcb board and these new diodes cheaper

2 Likes

Soldering these little things by hand is something I never wanna try and do. SMD soldering sucks to do. I am hoping @Baudelaire already has his fingers on this pulse and will be making a new SolStrip with these sometime next year. Then it will be on!!!

2 Likes

You can probably solder them on a hot plate with solder paste. I’ve looked at making boards from seeedstudio, because they do low volume aluminum boards like the qb’s. Get a stencil, wipe on solder and use tweezers to place the parts. Then just put them on a hot plate until they’re all in place.

4 Likes

Definitely watching the rollout, but there’s very little specification or pricing info on the horticultural LM561 chip yet. Strangely, the announcement includes a color spec on the hort chip as “white”. No CCT info, which is just baffling for a description of their first hort-tuned full spectrum diode. Suggests the mighty Samsung is still wrapping their heads around the hort lighting market. Where’s the CCT spec? Where’s spectral distribution chart? Hopefully we’ll get this information, along with pricing and supplier info, soon.

Samsung has been raising prices with its new chips, and holding steady on its older chips, so I wouldn’t expect to see any price drops on the LM561 or 301b chips soon. And, while “cheap” by the piece, LED diodes make up about 2/3 of the cost of a typical LED strip or board, so diode costs are critical, a few cents per diode can make a big difference in the final production cost.

I’m with @Stusatwork on this. Having actually researched producing bespoke mid-power LED PCBs, the costs per piece just get crazy fast unless you already are an experienced electrical engineer with a very well stocked home electronics lab. Even then, toaster-oven reflows tend to be very poor quality with SMDs. Its one thing to solder a few 5 watt mono chips on some stars, its quite another to flow a few hundred LM561 chips no heavier than confetti onto a 1 x 16 inch PCB stencil. One sneeze or some sweater static can ruin the whole day

4 Likes

I’m not disputing that the best and best cost effective method for a small grower to make a light with lm561c diodes is via yourself. I was literally talking the cost of a diode if they appear cheap on Samsung’s website. Don’t expect ready made units to look comparable in price.

3 Likes

so we’re breaking through the 3.0 umol/J barrier! and there’s no end in sight to this arms race, Osram, Samsung, the next gen of these lights is going to have amazing efficiency.

doesn’t the strip in the photo look like it has some red diodes interspersed w/ the white, a-la Fluence?

4 Likes

Sure does. It’s Samsung. They wrote the book on copying other companies design language. I am suppppppppper excited. After what I had been hearing and reading I think Samsung may have just surprised everyone with this new spectrum offering. Everyone has been saying the LM561 and LM301 we’re gonna be around for quite a while longer and they are right. Just in a full spectrum package offering now!!!

3 Likes

These are the chips that StephenJ and robincnn @ Horticulture Lighting Group were consulting on with their new partner, Samsung, right? If so, cool - they’ve been hyping this for a year, so it’s nice to see it come to fruition.

Like you were talking about @Baudelaire, where’s the full spec and datasheet? I also hope they don’t see this as a way to gouge the “horticultural” market. If so, I’m plenty fine with DIY strip builds from any of the current midpower white options, or the awesome 3ft long 800 chip boards coming out of Meiju. Either are so much cheaper, with the potential for better spread, than higher density options. The Meiju options, specifically, represent a real solid entry in the market because of their high QA standards and reliable bins.

4 Likes

c) Color Correlated Temperature
Color Correlated Temperature
min typ max
Horticulture L2
1ft 5,150 K
2ft 5,150

IF = 1,200 mA
tp = 25 ÂșC

Notes
※ Samsung maintains a measurement tolerance of CCT ± 5%
This is from the data sheet
 they think horticultural is 5150K

Great for veg (not) but where’s the Bloom Switch

4 Likes

Ah yeah. If you’re going to productize/sell it, there’s definitely a lot more involved. Your best bet is to design something and contact with a Chinese company to manufacture, rather than try to do it in house.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to the datasheet? 5150K is not what I’d expect for a “full spectrum” hort LED.

2 Likes

Always :wink:

https://cdn.samsung.com/led/file/resource/2018/11/Data_Sheet_Horticulture_Module_Rev.0.0.pdf

There’s also a whitepaper and their sales brochure at that site

Check out the relative spectrum graph
 I know BULL when I see it :wink:
And what’s up with the wire prep

Website I got the data sheet from

5 Likes

So much deep blue, but where is it coming from? And why?

Efficacy of 159 lm/w isn’t going to break any records, but to be expected with red-biased CCTs (if you can call this chip red-biased).

If they can really pull off that spectral distribution with those efficiencies in a LM561C-priced chip, it will be quite the offering.

2 Likes

Chip specs on their own instead of in the ready made module.

They have a ton of BINS and spectrum options
 Sweet
 That ready made module seems like it might be good for lettuce and stuff maybe?

1 Like

I feel vindicated from my war with the blurple-mongers

“Samsung insists different perspectives that various wavelengths are actually important for entire plant growth. This has been supported by numerous internal and external experimental studies. Following its extensive research into the matter, Samsung has determined that a broad white spectrum with selected red spectrum yields better results and allows lower overall costs, in general. Samsung’s broad spectrum of white LED including blue, green, yellow and specific wavelengths of red LED (660nm and 730nm) can provide optimal lighting to make plants grow better.”

IF this is the spectral distribution from the 561H chips (not their strips that seem to combine red monos with white SMDs), then it is a real breakthrough that will become the go-to diode if price/efficiency matches the current 561C line.

7 Likes