No more cheap seeds for me

Soaknbeanz is another great seed supplier.Lots of great genetics at 50 a pack and tons of freebies to.

6 Likes

Another HUGE recommendation from me for soaknbeans. GLG and DCSE are also good reliable companies but I prefer soaknbeans for quality and value and service. Also, @Kakalak and @SamwellBB from soaknbeans are both active members here on overgrow, and they have their own great forum as well.

7 Likes

IDK, seed buying can be a shit show. Most of my best grows were with cheap seeds, that did not get over hyped.
I love working with unknown bean bangers, like picking a piece of candy from a box of unlabeled chocolats, itā€™s either, OMG!!! Or WTF is that!
I grow for me and mine, and I dont give shit about fancy art work on a seed packet.
I do not need to see your upclose bud shots dripping in LED enhanced photo opā€™s.
Nor do I need a fan boy/girl, with over the top, proclamations of pounds per square inch results.
I guess Iā€™m so sick of the over hype of breeding, er, selling of beans.

13 Likes

I have literally not even heard of runtz untill like 2 months ago. I agree, seems like a cash grab with untested single crosses.

1 Like

Iā€™ve gotten great results from $5 seeds. A lot goes into the pricing and cost certainly doesnā€™t correlate 1:1 with quality

1 Like

Exactly if it getd me high I donā€™t care if its called dog shit

Lol

3 Likes

Idk grab you a pack of any useful seeds at $60 a 10 pk fems and tgeyll probably blow both of them away. Price isnt everything. $1000 clone onlys i beat down with cheap seeds. Says anyone who ever smoked anything ive grown. Names and hype are the money not actual performance. My opinion.

7 Likes

I guess I am just to thrifty. I bought both high/low priced strains. It feels bad when $150 packs donā€™t yield much. I have had best luck with $5 to $1 seeds.
Happy pheno hunting.

6 Likes

Since seeds are inherently worthless, the only thing you can infer from the price is that is what the person selling them decided to list them at. It does not cost more to make a $20 seed than it does to make a $1 seed.

I am less trusting of a $200+ pack of seeds than I am a $50 pack of seeds. At $200, the person selling is trying to create the appearance of scarcity and hence hype. When in reality, if they were selling more than 500 packs at that price, they could easily grow one more clone and produce 500 more. The biggest issue for most sellers is the lack of demand, and so instead they artificially control the supply and raise the price.

Itā€™s a fragile system that relies on a lot of things. 1. that nobody/few else can claim to have ā€œaccessā€ to the hype clone you are holding (controlling the supply) 2. that nobody else sells reproductions of your seeds (controlling the supply) 3. that people believe that nobody else is selling something quite like what you are selling (controlling the supply) 4. that nobody else is allowed to use a clone that you lost control of (controlling the supply)

So if you want good seeds, thereā€™s really no substitution for doing your homework. Look up grow logs. Find out what other growers think. The most successful breeders generally sell at moderate prices, and you can find lots of information about their stuff. They donā€™t play price fixing games to inflate the cost of their gear. It sells on merit and not hype. If hype gets you high, then try lighting $100 bills on fire. Itā€™s thrilling, and you wonā€™t forget it as quickly as some lousy seeds that didnā€™t perform.

26 Likes

Very well said lefthandseeds. :grinning:
I like to learn from others trials and errors.

2 Likes

Weed is for the people, I hate mfs that try and price out the working class with. ā€œDesignerā€ brand genetics. Nothing but hype too. Iā€™m sure itā€™s gonna be great weed, but so is the stuff grown from a $50 pack of seeds from any reputable breeder.

9 Likes

this reminds me of a joke/analogyā€¦ a guy is selling his mutt dog for a million dollars on craigslist, his brother laughs at him and says ā€œyou will never sell that dog for a million dollarsā€ and the guy replied ā€œThatā€™s where you are wrong! I just sold the dog, I traded it for two $500,000 cats.ā€ So basically something is only worth as much as what someone is willing to pay for it, and how we perceive value varies from person to person. I have a friend who will only smoke top shelf weed from the dispensary - he turns his nose up at ā€œhome grownā€ or anything without a pedigree. I have smoked some of the weed he has purchased and itā€™s OK, but nothing that blows me away. I understand that cannabis is one of those odd things that affects almost everyone differently, so itā€™s hard to reach a consensus on what is or isnā€™t ā€œthe bestā€ but this isnā€™t a case of that - his perception of quality is almost solely based on price it seems, which is fine for him since he can afford it. I think that I may be the opposite to a degree, if I know a strain is ā€œtop shelfā€ then I am on alert, trying to figure out itā€™s ā€œvalueā€ rather than just enjoying it for what it is - it has more to ā€œproveā€ lol.

7 Likes

Awesome replyā€¦

2 Likes

I seen some Gage Genetics that looked killer.
Just canā€™t pop at 400 a pack for 10 beans.
Iā€™m sure they will sell those just not to the average guy/gal.
I like to find a diamond in the rough anyways.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had bagseed that gave up pure pleasure! Funny part is the weed sold for cheap because of the seedsā€¦lmao
When you break down a nugget and the smell hit you hard, secretly Iā€™m looking for that bean. I only need one, with the hopes of doing it better than the last guy.

5 Likes

Disagree. Ive grown some great freebies. Fromā€¦gasp! Attitude! Blasphemy! Burn me at the stake!

4 Likes

Lost a great freebie from them, g13 strawberry eclaire. Neglected the clone.

1 Like

Same. TH Seeds Chicle. Had 3 freebies. One came out straight fuego.

(OP) I should have rephrased my initial post. Iā€™m not in a position to hand over $250-500 for a pack of seeds. Hell $150 is my limit if I really want to try something. Iā€™m the type of consumer that would rather spend money on a quality product than cheap. It bothers me if I have to have keep buying the same product trying to save a buck because it was cheapā€¦but with seeds I agree hype strains are a crap shoot, but at the same time I do notice a difference in instability and mediocre results with some breeders and they were cheap i.e(buy 10 get 10).

1 Like

Iā€™ve been buying seeds since 1995. Iā€™ve spent 12$ on a pack to 300. I found keepers in the 12$gear and the 300$gear. Iā€™ve also had unknow fire from bagseed and unknown sources that was straight :fire:. Iā€™ve let some amazing genetics go over the years due to market wants. Hype strains sell, high thc strains sell, but some of our most potent smoke is lower thc and no names that sat when we ran them. So we paid top dollar for some hype strains 10 years ago, and did find some nice keepers, but we did in the genetics that were cheaper or we had traded with other heads. Now, in my stable right now I have 17 mothers to choose from. 6 of those r bagseeds that woulda been thrown out by most. Thier are 3 strains in particular that people will try to buy all and pay more then im asking to ensure they have it all, theyre all bagseeds! Nuglu, Wedding Cake (cake cut), wedding cake (gas cut) all came from bagseeds. My other mothers are all from respected breeders and reasonably priced gear. DocD (magic spirit seed company), Bodhi, Strayfox, Useful, are a few I spend with regularly. And I know thier are alot of other very good respected breeders out there. So much to choose from, grow what u like/love, the rest falls into place.
Peace
Headie

5 Likes