No-Till For Outdoor Guerilla

Hey everyone!

Wanted to pick your brains…

Planning on an outdoor guerilla for the spring, and after seeing everyone’s organic no-till gardens I think im macking the switch!

I need a recipie I can lug into the woods mind you, and use it to amend the soil in the ground. I would like it to be for 15-30 plants also. So keeping it compact and potent is a must. Going to bring it in a camping pack.

So I hope some organic and no-till people like @lotus710 cough… cough… Will chime in

Thanks all

3 Likes

If the ground you pick is sandy (but still a little organic matter in it, not beach conditions i hope) you would dig in some old leaves, (older the better) kelp, neem, karanja, oyster shell, glacial rock dust, hydroton (aeration) and crab meal now so it can sit all winter. If you have a lot of clay you will need to find some good soil around your site to mix in or bring in some green compost (mostly broke down but still has a bit of hay and twigs) and amend as before but less minerals. Lug as little stuff in as possible and take advantage of what is available so you are improving the soil for the next year as well as doing well this year. Good luck and i hope this helps you with ideas. :grin:

3 Likes

Big time, I like that I can just use some stuff from the surrounding areas too!
After a hydro run I am going to go no-till indoors. The pudding just taste too good!

2 Likes

Also I meant to ask, what is the upkeep doing this out doors? Like once a week check on them or what

1 Like

That depends on rain patterns, how hot your area is, whether you have to check often to make sure hikers aren’t getting close or deer are marauding the spot. You should check once or twice a week until you get an idea of weather, animal, and human patterns and then how often to check on them will be obvious.

1 Like

Problem here is compact. If you want 30 plants youll need a lot of amendments. I use 1 cup of kelp, neem, powdered malted barley and crab meal. 1/2 cup gypsum. 5-6cups of rock dust per cubic foot of compost. And 1 cuft of that compost makes 3cuft of soil. Now this is all based off of using good compost. If you use killer compost you can lower amounts of the inputs and maybe even get rid of them all.

So if you find a good spot. Somewhere humans havnt been kinda deal. The soil should be amazing. Check out the life around. If everything is healthy then that means the soil is alive and healthy. (Where I work there are oilfeilds and everything dies fast around those areas so make sure you check) so for this you could choose two things. Pots or planting in the ground. Since your carrying stuff you can take smart pots. If you plant in the ground i would not disturb the soil at all… seeing as thats what were trying to achieve inside. Soil that has been undisturbed for many many years.

Plant right in the soil here. Topdress with some kelp, neem, and malted barley and maybe water in aloe powder since thats easy to carry. And if you have that good spot you dont need as many amendments. For teas you can make small bottles of water into teas to carry there and up there have a rain catch or some sort of water that you will dilute with. Also Keep up on your ipm. Once a week Spray neem, hemp, karanja, jojoba oil, ohn, whatever you use. Just make sure you do it every week:)

You can also forage basicly everything you need. Alfalfa, clover, nettle, yarrow etc. Then you dont even need to carry amendments

6 Likes

I think my only problem will be animals… Ive never seen people anywhere near the stretch I’m going or any trash.

Any good natural ways to fight off animals…? I remember as a child finding a guerilla grow. Had at least a 100 plants in circle dugouts with 10’+ pricker bushes all around them and the path in was a small tunnel someone cut that you have to army crawl through… So I guess people are always an issue as well.

2 Likes

Coyote pee from the hunting shop for animals. Or get your dog to eat meat and pee around the area

2 Likes

Funny you say that cause according to wifey my pee would scare off a pack of wolves :joy:

Time for a check up lol

1 Like

And thanks for your replies the both of you! Your no-till skills are insane, and I rarely see a plant so happy. Im bookmarking my own page for later - Great wealth of knowledge you spread for probably the 1000th time… Go ahead dust your shoulders off, you earned it :sunglasses: :smirk:

2 Likes

I don’t know first hand about any sure fire way to repel animals, but have heard about urine working to an extent. If there isn’t a lot of food around and your plot is the easiest meal they will go for it and the hungrier they are the harder they will try. Just try to make it a challenge and the more you are there the less the animals will be there.

2 Likes

Anyone using or planting garlic near their plots, or using cinnamon mint and garlic concentrates as a spray.

I guess these all have many different repelling qualities FYI not sure how good real world experiences with these are.

1 Like

I use OHN oriental herbal nutrient. It has fermented garlic, ginger, cinnamon, angelica, and licorice root.

1 Like

Ill have to check them out for sure, there will likely be times I won’t be able to check on them for upwards of 2 weeks. So any deterrent I can use for a number of problems I may run into would be great.

Haven’t done a guerilla grow but don’t put all your eggs in one basket so to say ! You mentioned 30 plants I’d break that number in groups say 5-6 with 5-6 plants in each incase your big patch gets discovered. Try placing in thick briar patch areas where no human or animal would care to go!

5 Likes

Good point 5 spaces within a few minute walk of each other might be a better idea

1 Like

hmm while increasing the chance of reaching harvest you are also increasing the chance of discovery, and if all plots were within short distance of eachother someone might stumble on one and then explore to see if any more are near by… i’d probably choose 2-3 spots away from eachother. but i’ve never grown guerilla so idk.

2 Likes

Good point when spacing out I would suggest 1/2 mile in real remote off trail type hides places that would be a real effort getting to with heavy coverage and a south exposure if your in northern hemisphere for sun exposure!

Good point guys, I have a least 2 different spots in mind. I say 35 minute hike so maybe 1 mile or so apart from one another

3 Likes

Now is the perfect time to start loosening and tilling the soil before the winter
From down to earth i would get kelp meal, alfalfa meal. Then azomite. Jamaican bat guano, Peruvian Seabird Guano. Epsom salts. So many other things but not sure what kind of animals you have near by.

I would make a dry mix that has all that in there in a lil pail or bucket. Bring that with a shovel the first time and just dig up that soil and loosen it up. Next time bring some peat moss, perlite, maybe vermiculite. And mix that into the soil. Worm castings too. I would just work that throughout the winter then start small inside in the spring and maybe take cuttings outside or transplant when small.

This sounds fun… I’ve done it a couple times in Louisiana with great results except for a couple deer probs.

Keep us posted!
Swampy

2 Likes