Guerrilla organic soil that doesn't attract critters?

Having problems at the guerrilla patch with animals digging up the plants (probably a raccoon, but maybe a bear). Using an organic soil mix (used once indoors and then sat in storage for over 2 years). Figured it would be less attractive to animals, but nope. The culprits in the mix are probably Espoma Plant Tone (has feather meal) and/or Coast of Maine Quoddy Blend compost (has crustaceans).

Considering starting future guerrilla grows indoor (coco with synthetic nutes) and then moving out to native soil with dry nutes (langbeinite/seabird-bat guano/alfalfa/kelp/neem/rock phosphate/oyster shell…maybe some other things?)

What type of soil mix have you used that didn’t attract critters? Any tricks for scaring them off?

2 Likes

It’s usually blood and bone meal that attracts the critters.

Alternates maybe helpful.

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Yeah. I avoided both but didn’t realize that feather meal is basically blood-soaked chicken feathers :rofl:

4 Likes

I use many of the same ingredients as you and never have any problems with Critters bothering my plants. I make it a rule to prep the holes at least 30 days in advance here in NY.( Probably more time if you are in a dry area) any fertilizing done later is done with plant meals, composts or guanos.
That compost you are using would definitely attract raccoons…

1 Like

Never use bone, fish, or feather meal or any products derived from meat. Fox Farm Happy Frog is a commercial soil that I have always used with no issues.

2 Likes

I’d say using a coco heavy mix will do the job. Just make sure you use the right combo of solid fertilisers and make sure to avoid nutrient lock.

In terms of scaring them off, I’m in the southern hemisphere so things will be a little different. Skippy the Bush Kangaroo definitely likes munching down on bush budz…sometimes I think he may be getting just a lil high!

I cage grows (pic related) then if the animals are still coming back use some dog poo scattered around. Gross, I know! But less upsetting than discovering all those awesome strains you had are now chewed twigs…Once they know that dogs and humans come around they generally don’t come back so much.

Tend to agree that blood and bone type fertilisers will bring in the predators, down under all we get are foxes but I have had problems with them digging in the past.

2 Likes

I’ve used both bone and blood meal every year for 30 years outdoors and I never saw my plants more than four or five times a season. You only mix this fertilizer in before you plant. If you wait at least 30 days there is zero smell, and any digging Critters do will be during this 30 days. I’ve grown over a thousand plants and never had even one eaten by animals. My only loss was to slugs and snails when plants were young , and a copper collar around the plants will solve this problem provided it is pushed down into the soil to make contact with the ground, making an electric charge slugs and snails hate. You can use the same recipe you would use indoors and it will work… My old recipe was to bring out a bail of peat moss, some Dolomite lime, a 10 pound bag blood meal, a 10 lb bag of bone meal a 10 lb bag of kelp meal, and a couple pounds of wood ashes for an area about 5 ft by 5 ft. I also brought out a couple burlap sacks of composted horse manure. This recipe works great. The only additional fertilizing I would do the whole entire season is to spread some bat guano that’s high in phosphorus a week or two before your plants begin flowering. That’s it. Set em and forget em!
We have a rainy spring here and I do believe that has something to do with dissipating the smell. Can’t say how my recipe would work in a dry climate

Good info. Last time at this spot it was the slugs that got me, but I beat em with Sluggo this year. I didn’t prep holes or anything, just put out cups of old used soil and planted jiffy pellets in em, then moved the survivors to final spots after 4-5wk, native soil. Same soil mix in the cups as last time except for the lobster compost. Figured since it was 3yrs old and used, there wouldn’t be much about it to attract animals. It’s a weird issue with the digging. They don’t eat the plants, they just dig them up and take the rootball.

Anyhow, I got 60 survivors in the ground as of 2wk ago, so sometime this week I’ll go see whether they made it. Didn’t germ til 26 MAY this year and didn’t get them in the ground til 07 JUL, so they’ll be on the small side. Just testing some new spots this year and seeing how well the native soil performs. Probably prep some bigger holes this summer and go for fewer, bigger plants next time. Ideally root cuts in early April and plant in mid-May.

3 Likes

You ever try fox piss or anything?

Coons. Or skunks . Looking for something in that rootball they smell. Coyotes will step on a plant and dig at it, but not take the roots. Sounds like a raccoon or a skunk in this instance. I think those copper collars I use have something to do with preventing more than slugs. I know coyote avoid my plants when I have a copper collarr around them. I’m convinced they think it’s a trap. Maybe Coons feel the same way. Skunks too I suppose.
Sluggo works great too. If you have a wet season it gets rained away real quick tho. If you can get some, copper lasts a lifetime. They sell copper mesh in some gardening catalogs. It doesn’t last nearly as long as sheet metal but it does the trick.
Sounds like you got your system down. No problem planting late as long as you get the numbers in.

1 Like

yea i like that recipe. but i do not use peat moss i use old used potting soil from plant that wife has killed. or buy new potting soil too lighten up my guerilla grow soil plot. peace. if you got varmint bothering your plot time to go hunting take no prisoners kill every thing and or set out man made steal traps or dig a hole up sharp sticks in bottom and sides if you think it is a bear.

1 Like

Beer traps work well with slugs. Perfect excuse for it really!

2 Likes

all guerilla organic soils attract critters / varmits . the best way to keep most varmits away from your plant is to make a low fence you can step over.