***No Till Or Die Trying (3x3 and 2x4 living soil beds)***

Looking good. I think I have decided on 2x4 beds as well with living soil. Do you have anything under the beds to allow for air into the soil? Also, I understand you are hand watering, I was curious as to how much. I know some use meters but others don’t. Do you have any runoff, I would imagine not…

1 Like

@OGSince03 My 2x4 is getting close to being set up, soil is basically done but I have some plants hanging in the 2x4 right now heh. I opted for no drain tray since the dimensions of my 2x4 tent would not allow me to use a tray and 2x4 bed in there, fitting the 2x4 bed was going to be a squeeze enough. The most I have put into the 3x3 bed so far was 3 gallons through the Chapin sprayer to allow it to slowly seep through all the soil. Other than that its been (depending if I was watering to just grow cover crop pre transplant or then saturate after transplant) 1/2-2 gallons max I have put into it at a time so far since they are not rooted in hard and drinking tons.

That being said, I have never got runoff from it. I do have a cheap moisture meter I got just to get a reading every now and then, mainly to see the moisture at the bottom so I could judge how much I wanted to put on top. I do use the Quillaja Saponaria Extract Powder wetting agent on and off to help with even saturation etc. I would prefer to have it in a tray just incase their was some runoff and to allow the get the little amount of airflow it would provide, but I opted not to. People use these straight on the ground/lawn etc so I don’t think it will be an issue and that’s part of the reason I got the cheap moisture meter with the longer probe so I could just see how wet the bottom of the bed was so I could make sure things don’t get upset down there.

4 Likes

Best of luck for sure!

I have thought about this same issue. I will be running 3-4 tents all with 2x4 beds, and I’m sure they will just barely squeeze in… Catch treys wont fit so I thought about a tarp possibly.

I believe this is a must! I will be doing the same thing.

I would think these fabric beds allow for plenty of air penetration, I’m sure its adequate.

I’m thinking about trying my hand at the blumat system but cant afford for it to flood my area. Maybe I can plumb a waste tube to a empty rez just in case it does… Looking forward to the progress bud!

4 Likes

I just switched to a 3x3 bed of build a soil 3.0 mix, so I am super interested in following this. And you are a few weeks in front of me so perfect timing lol. I am about 4 weeks into veg at this point, plan on transplanting into the 3x3 soon.

I am still not sure what else is needed other than mulch and cover crop with the 3.0 mix to get me through a full 8-10 weeks of flower so I got their top dress flower kit just in case. I think I’m gonna add a few red wrigglers too. My plants are very similarly either over or under watered right now (still figuring out the watering cadence in my 1 gal pots of 3.0 mix) so it’s great to see yours are doing better since going into the bed.

Looking forward to the next few weeks here! Good luck my friend

5 Likes

Hello and welcome! Glad to hear that you are giving BAS a try, good people and great products over there indeed. I would definitely add some worms if you are going to keep that bed around for a while, that’s a good call. I have never used their 3.0 soil before, this is my first time using any soil from them (take and bake kit in my 3x3) I assume you would be able to ride the whole first harvest out without really adding anything other than the build a flower top dress and water. But that’s where you may want to have some craft blend to reamend with (unless you are going to get a soil test, then amend to their recommendations). Craft blend is very versatile. I am slowly building a stockpile of amendments and such, so I can make and tweak things as I need it or see fit.

I have some things around like: Craft Blend, Kashi Blend, Fish Bone Meal, Kelp Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Rootwise set, Dynomyco, Quillaja Saponaria Extract, Cheap organic aloe leaf powder (not concentrate), ground up organic coconut chips, 2 row whole malted barley, blue corn, blackstrap molasses, 12 seed cover crop, Dr Zymes, air pump and bubbler setup, moisture meter, (I think that’s is? For now…) I have been using some of this stuff for a bit, since before I fired up the bed. But I don’t use everything all the time, just here and there for the situation at hand and will continue to get a few things here and there.

I may also be starting up some worm bins in the near future. I had planned to anyways, but my daughter has been doing FFA in her school and she may do worm farming for a project/grant involved with that. So that may kill 2 birds with 1 stone and we will both be worm farmers heh.

Let me know if you fire up a diary for your new grow, would love to see what ya do with it. :+1:

5 Likes

All right it’s good to see your plants making the bounce back. I’m fired up to follow this grow. I’m looking to steer my grows into this direction. Lead the way bro I won’t be too far behind. Oh yes and @hollyho this is the diary I was telling you about. Check it out.

2 Likes

Wow! @bassman5420 What a blast!! Amazing undertaking!! Congrats!! Pulling up a chair and learning!! Thanks!! :flushed: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :clap: :clap: :clap: :hugs:

2 Likes

Ya its good to see them trying to recover a bit, they were pretty upset before I even put them in there lol. Only better things to come as things progress! Cant wait to see what you throw together as well. :+1:

2 Likes

Howdy bud! Glad to have ya here. This ride could get bumpy again, but if it does we shall get through it together! :+1: Hopefully clear skies ahead though. :+1:

I should be setting up some automated environmental controls here soon, so all my tents/projects should be able to stay a bit happier and stable.

3 Likes

No jokes, I feel like No-tills are for grown-ups! And here am I a 5.8 saying it!! lol! I guess it comes with experience! Not age! lol! Your ship is moving smoothly my friend!! Plants will feel mighty welcome in such environment! Nice!

5 Likes

@bassman5420

I’m set to watching. I see a few folks planting in beds now. Looks weird in an indoor tent lol awesome tho! Do the roots not fight for nutes and space? I have always heard don’t plant more than one per container. Just wondering. I’m glad your babies are happy in their new home!

4 Likes

If you have a real small container, maybe it would be an issue. That being said, in nature it is not uncommon for there to be multiple plants in the same area.

4 Likes

They will be fine in there for sure, 70 gallons of soil is quite a bit and they wont be veging for too long in there as well. Ya they are slowly getting happier, its been a long road to recovery for them since they got screwed up. Most people would have threw them out and started new seedlings, but I like to give everything a good chance to live, especially if I only have 1 seed of the strain heh.

4 Likes

These little girls look so cute and happy in their little homes for the time being.

And this one looks so sad and lonely…lol

8 Likes

Tried to save/use some of the cover and top soil when I transplanted the others into the bed. They seem to like being planted in here so far. I am curious how they will benefited from all the extra exudates in the soil from the cover crop. At the rate the cover crop is going, I may have to chop some here soon.

3 Likes

I would chop some sooner than later, the cover crop will choke out smaller seedlings IME.

4 Likes

Ya that’s probably a good call, there is a bit of it in that one lol.

2 Likes

The front 2 are back and forth trying to recover still as the back to finish up recovering. Trimmed some cover crop down a bit, defoliated and trained them out a bit. I now see my plant placement should have been a little different, but I will roll with the punches and do what I can do.
11 Likes

2x4 bed crammed into the 2x4 tent finally. Just waiting for cover crop to sprout up and grow a hair. Time to design some new tent spreaders/tent stabilizers to 3d print and put in the tents.

11 Likes

Does growing multiple plants in the same bed cause any problems?

I guess not since they look really healthy!

Interesting concept… Definitely following along

3 Likes