Goji OG Community Preservation Run & Beyond

This will be my personal thread for updating my progress on the Gogi OG Community preservation run. The main thread is located here:

First off, I want to thank @The_Lazy_Hippie for putting his trust and faith in me to do this run. I’m amazed that someone who I’ve never even met before would be so kind as to send me seeds. Not just any seeds… Bodhi’s Goji OG seeds! I’ve been hunting this strain down ever since I heard about it a few years back and I have nothing but mad respect for Bodhi and everything he’s about, so it was a no brainer for me to help out. Plus the vibe here is awesome and that’s why I wanted to get involved. Thanks to everyone so far for offering to help me or send me seeds or do giveaways. You’re all a bunch of beauties are far as I’m concerned and I hope these seeds find you well… Wherever you are!

Some info about this strain taken from JBC Seeds:

Also some clarification from Bodhi about the available cuts below, thanks to @nube for posting this info here: Bodhi Plant and seed guide (Part 1) - #3943 by nube

the 4 cuts that are still in circulation:

the goji b cut (my early favorite, from the original pop) pure goji berry og…

queen mother (most like the snow lotus, not my personal favorite, but for hash or rosin she is tops in production) shes still in Denver…

pinesoul… lemon pine cleaner og

goji raz (big, frosty, muted raspberry)

purple goji (shes bushier and does great outdoors)

it seems the queen mother and goji b are getting mixed up… they are very different in smell…

The Plan:

• Since there is a limited timeline, the first run will be an open pollination
  • I’ll veg these plants out to about 6-8", top them and root the cuttings (around week 3-4)
  • Approximately a week after the topping I’ll flip the originals to 12/12
  • They will be run in a sea of green style in 2 gallon fabric pots in a super soil by a Canadian company called Stepwell (it’s worked out very well for me in the past)
  • Identify males and separate to male jail and take extra notes on which ones start showing sex and dumping pollen first taking special notes on any and all observations
  • mark all clones accordingly
  • I’ll wait till they’re all dumping and then introduce all males to the ladies room for full coverage
  • After pollination is complete (around day 28-35F) I’ll flip the light cycle back to 18/6 for best seed production
  • Plants will start re-vegging at this point so it’s another opportunity to take cuttings if I need to

After the Open Pollination run has been completed I plan to start selectively breeding in certain directions for more specific preservation and line breeding. Could be a fun little project for me. If you notice any flaws in my plan or have any tips/pointers or specifics about this strain, I’d love to hear from you. I’m open to any and all feedback and I love learning new things, especially about this plant.

Seeds were rinsed in a distilled water and 3% hydrogen peroxide solution then soaked for 24 hrs and onto the paper towel. I also decided to give freeze dried coconut water a try for the natural gibberellic acid it contains and added a very small amount to the solution that I soaked my jiffy plugs in. All but 2 popped for me, so 9 out of 11 isn’t too bad. I have the 2 stragglers soaking again to see what will happen… I haven’t given up on them yet.

Now let’s make some FAT ass, healthy F2 seeds to share with everyone!!

76 Likes

Oh WOW!!

I get the front pew! :laughing: :vulcan_salute:
Loading the bong… and looking forward to this adventure.

Cheers
G

11 Likes

Got my :eyes: on this thread!
Good luck :+1:

5 Likes

Pulling up for this one and taking notes for sure! Thanks fir the detailed info @NorthNorthNugs i feel like I can learn a lot watching this run, wishing you healthy plants and a smooth run! :v:t2::v:t2:

3 Likes

Great choice. Will definitely follow along on this one. What do you have in that bong over there @Gpaw ?

5 Likes

Pulling up a stool. Exciting stuff percolating round here!!!

3 Likes

I like the sounds of pinesoul og haha

3 Likes

Really nice!

Im curious, i wanted to reveg my seeded plants but couldnt find any info on how it would affect the seeds. Why would 18/6 be better?

2 Likes

Basically… More light. I’m not interested in buds, I’m interested in healthy seeds and more light will help with this.

3 Likes

whoa, thats kind of a mind blower right there, i never considered switching the light cycle back to 18/6 like that.

3 Likes

bodhi mentioned emergency reveg of seeded moms on his IG a couple years ago, and since then, I’ve revegged seeded plants when clones didn’t root or died, but it’s a major major major pain in the butt come harvest time. The extra amount of leaf and stem you have to sift through makes an already unfun job an order of magnitude more terrible. I don’t recommend it at all.

Also, I wonder how much the hormonal change impacts the seeds, since science is pretty sure that epigenetics are a HUGE factor in the unique interplay of the hundreds & thousands of cannabis genes that control expression of terps, herm tendency, potency, flavor, vigor, and effect. I’m gonna guess it’s not 0 effect, but how much effect is unknown. I’d rather just run the plants in their normal cycles if at all possible.

18 Likes

man i totally feel like im late to this party already! love ur plan!!
good luck!

3 Likes

Wow!! Hitting it on the nail!! Congrats @NorthNorthNugs !! Amazing project!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :pray: :heart: :hugs:

2 Likes

Not sure how much of a vote I have, but I’m also a little leery of re-vegging the plants once they’re pollinated… especially for an open pollination for the community, the goal would seem to be to approximate the conditions they’d experience breeding under in nature. Once the community preservation run is over, and as long as you’re keeping clones of the best mothers to backcross for stabilization, it’ll be interesting to see how the 18/6 works for seed runs… at that point they’re all yours to play with. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m going to be following right along for this, I have some freshly germed Bodhi too that I plan on doing similar to your plan with. Good luck :seedling:

Respectfully, I disagree but I appreciate your input. I don’t know if there is even an ounce of science behind what you’re saying tbh, unless you can site any. There’s also no science behind what I’m attempting either, so there’s that too haha… I don’t think the extra plant material will be that much of an issue since I’ll be drying this out so much after harvest.

I learned about this technique from a breeder named Rasta Jeff (Irie Genetics) of the Grow From Your Heart podcast. I’ve read nothing but positive things about his seeds. How healthy and sturdy his plants are and how great his genetics are. He incorporates this method to make his seeds and honestly, I trust what he teaches because he really knows his shit. If it works well for him I believe it will work well in my situation also.

4 Likes

I’m not even exactly sure how to respond to this tbh… I’m not here to argue. These seeds didn’t come with a set of instructions. I’ll stick to my plan for now unless the owner of the seeds @The_Lazy_Hippie really has an issue, he can reach out to me himself.

6 Likes

Epigenetics is a very real thing. It is still a fairly new area of study, but there is pretty significant evidence that heritable traits created or triggered by stress or trauma can be passed down, not just one generation, but possibly several(in plants, possibly in animals as well, but the heritable traits being passed down in animals is more controversial and not yet really proven as far as I know)

I agree with @nube that it is pretty likely that the stress and hormone changes would likely have epigenetic impact on the offspring. How significant that impact is, as well as if it is positive or negative, we will never really know without a control group of seeds from the same plants and running out very large populations of their respective offspring in the same conditions.

There is a ton of info on epigenetics out there, pertaining to both plants and animals. It’s still a pretty new area of study(comparatively)

Here are a couple examples

Edit: to clarify, I am not trying to make a case for or against the light schedule you use, simply a case for the light schedule change likely have epigenetic impact

11 Likes

45:40 is where he starts talking about it

Here’s Colin from Ethos talking about flipping to 18/6 for seed making and why he does it.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting the articles. I want to be clear that I’m not saying that epigenetics aren’t real.

Interesting read but I’m still not sure how they prove that giving a plant more light during seed production will have negative impacts on it’s progeny. One could even argue that providing MORE light to a seed producing plant could have POSITIVE effects in epigenetics. Have you ever considered that?

@Neb Thank you for posting this! I was just searching for it. I just heard this the other week and it cemented what I heard Rasta Jeff talk about.

Here’s a time stamped link for those that want to hear what Colin’s talking about. Basically, when you flip back to 18/6, plants re-ignite and start feeding again late in flower, root tips increase during seed production and seeds finish more quickly and stronger. Seeds metabolize more quickly, are more resilient and the quality improves. It’s fine if you don’t know who Rasta Jeff of Irie Genetics is but I encourage you to find out. He’ll gain your respect in time, I promise you. This is also Colin of Ethos Genetics corroborating the 18/6 cycle for seeded plants… I think he has a little bit of experience in making a seed or two.

Either way, I respect that new methods can be hard for people to swallow. Just because they are new to you doesn’t mean they are bad or wrong. @Cormoran I understand you’re concerned about the free seeds I am making for the community under my lights which I pay the electric bill on btw, in my soil and pots that I paid for which will no doubt take a lot of my time to produce (of which I have very limited amounts)… I promise to do the best job I can on this run but what you wrote was very insulting.

I just fail to see how providing more light to a seed producing plant is a traumatic experience or an abiotic stressor that will contribute to a negative impact on the epigenetics.

I want to stress that I do appreciate everyone’s input and concerns but it doesn’t mean I have to agree or abide by them.

8 Likes