No Till soil HELP ... Read post 45

I buy this from a local supplier. I can drive and pick up a 50 lb bag for around $55. Sealife is the brand out of Maine. Works great.

5 Likes

Cannabis has shallow roots, so shorter is better. The 30-gal tote would work, but you won’t be moving that at all… if all you can do is 10-gallons that will have to do.

Soil is like a battery, the bigger it is, the more charge it will hold.

5 Likes

That’s an awesome analogy @ReikoX. I’ll never take that for granted when considering my no till soil. My plan is to get some outdoor spots ready for their forever homes. Can’t wait for this snow to melt. :snowman_with_snow:

3 Likes

I understand. I thought tho having more volume will aid in moisture retention & “Battery charge” being available :thinking: If I had to I can move 30 gal pales. Just not 65gal pails lol :laughing:

What’s the max depth would you recommend?
That blue recycling bin is 21.5 inches tall…
So maybe half that?

1 Like

|Height (in)|15.50|
|Width (in)|16.00|
|Capacity (Gallons)|16.00|
|Capacity (Litre)|60.57|

1 Like

My beds are 15" tall, but only 13" full. They are 18"D x 36" W x 15" H.

3 Likes

How shallow can you go? Say that I have a roughly 8" deep 32"x54" flood table that I’ve dreamed of doing a no till in for a long time… before I knew what it was called… could I theoretically make a bed in it?

3 Likes

You could, but you would be in in an experimental mode. I have no experience with that shallow of a bed.

3 Likes

You can ask my best grow buddy, ive been talking about growing directly in it for a decade lol

2 Likes

I’ve been reading about lasagna gardening aka no till. Damit man. The best gardening practices had always been right in my face the whole time.

4 Likes

I still wanna see someone’s grow with a bed deeper then 15" … Overtime I’ll have to add more mulch and may need that extra head space in the container.

3 Likes

Your mix of goody ingredients looks pretty solid as mentioned earlier a bit more aeration type material is always good

Pot size? ItS all relative ! HavIng larger pots will grow bigger plants obviously you’ve seen plants grown in 16oz, a bit more difficult Not impossible they can be more forgiving I’m pulling off decent stuff in a 1/2 gallon currently

I like to have a homogenous mix in the pots layering will work but I’d get that biochar mixed throughout the entire profile

Worms? A lot of places even in Walmart I’v seen red wigglers sold as Trout worms 2-3$ investment would be worth it

Pm me if you need to .

3 Likes

Something for your viewing pleasure one of the first guys I started following! another one is Kaligrownbudz has his own series of notill type grows

2 Likes

Minnesota Nice, right, recreating the Redwood Forests? The guy’s soil literally heaves from the worms doing their thing, truly a “living” soil…impressive!!! SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

You guys are all freaking awesome.
I’m planing and planning and planning… then ordering items to get this started on this “larger” scale. I’m looking into the depth as simple as to retain physical warmth and moisture mostly on its own.
My goal is Organic Sustainable Cannabis Permaculture …

3 Likes

I’ll have to see what you come up with. My plan is to just ditch the 3x3 for a 4x4 when I can and make some raised fabric containers, hadn’t decided on size. I still plan to veg in fabric pots, so I can maintain constant veg/flower, by just transplanting for flower into the beds. But I may be stuck with the 3x3 for a bit, be curious how you come up with beds.

4 Likes

Just realized I have a freaking landscaping company litterly 3 blocks from my place & they have everything I need … $70 and I can layer and fill 4 seprate 30gal containers correctly… LETS GO SPRING… OPEN THIS STORE :laughing:

6 Likes

As time goes on you come to realize that once ya start looking around for sources for material it will get easier as time goes on. Best results thus far for me personally is less is more type approach

3 Likes

Sorry guys, moving this thread over to OSCP No Till (Attempt)

1 Like

Like your recipe, keep it simple. I used to do the whole bunch of ingredients thing. Now just 50/50 Happy Frog and worm castings, add a little cal mag, compost on top, liquid bone meal, ( faster than egg shells, but egg shells, hand crushed on top can keep slugs and bugs at bay.) and a little potash 3 or 4 weeks before bloom. Works well for me.

2 Likes