No Till soil HELP ... Read post 45

@cadman if you find a good source for powdered kelp in bulk let me know. I’ve searched before and can never find it.

2 Likes

@Chronickyle if your in Canada is $10 1Lb good?

I believe they have a US website also

1 Like

@Chronickyle please look at the kelp and the 1st link called Organic seven sea veggies blend and let me know if that good also? Seems like its have the same stuff as kelp in it.

1 Like

I was actually asking as I’ve been wanting to get kelp for my cattle as a mineral and I’ve been wanting to use it as as a foliar application for all my veggies and fruit trees and canna.

I’m not educated enough on the specific benefits of the contents of each to give you an educated answer. It would just be a guess, I wish I could help more. I wanted to use kelp as a foliar application as I’ve seen others homesteaders do this succefully with with their veggie gardens to increase nutrient density.

I’ve never purchased any. But that doesn’t seem bad to me. Pound should last a long time I would believe.

4 Likes

I buy kelp in a 50lb bag. I have fed it to animals and plants. For plant foliar I use around 1/4 - 1/2 cup per 5 gallon bucket. It helps to have a AACT mixer or bubbler to get everything moving. I like to bubble for 24-36 hours. Sometimes I add 1/4 cup of neem or alfalfa meal to the “tea”. I strain and foliar with a siphon mixer (see below) in my outdoor garden. The key to this siphon mixer is putting it between the hose and spigot. Get two shutoff valves and install them before and after the siphon. ( it should go Spigot - shutoff valve - siphon - shutoff valve - hose) This way you can control the venture effect in the siphon. I spray with a sprayer or use a sprinkler.

I also drop the siphon directly into my bottle of Drammatic K (must have) fish and kelp mix and foliar my outdoor garden every other week. No additional water needed, the siphon does the mixing. Do this in the evening.

4 Likes

I’m building my soil and mixing everything in the beginning, then top dressing as needed.

The improvements I can do so far;
Cooked n crushed egg shells slow release
Green Bannana powder top dress or mix in
Kelp Granules mix in, Even tho my Gagi 444 & 284 both have Kelp in it already

2 Likes

Ok Guys/Gals, I’m going to do this since I’ll need to buy more “soil” before the next run… I’m hopeful that I can just ammend the next batch of soil and keep it running for a few years at least…

Gonna be making just two 5gal pales.

New Soil Mixture to start with:

HP Pro Mycorrhizae (5 gal)
Sheep Manure (1 cup per 1gal)
Gaia green 444 all purpose (2 tbsp per 1gal)
Gaia green 284 Flowering (2 tbsp per 1gal)
Gaia Green Worm Castings (2 tbsp per 1gal)
Dynomyco C as directed on package
Crushed Eggs shells (2 tbsp per 1gal)
Kelp Granules (2 tbsp per 1gal)
Green Powered Bannana (2 tbsp per 1gal)
Fish Shit Liquid Microbes (1 tbsp per 1gal)

Then let it rest inside the 5gal pale a few weeks while turning it and keeping it damp…

Whenever I need to top dress (likely in flower)
I’ll ammend with;

Gaia green 284
Green Powered Bannana
Worm Castings

For reference, this is what’s listed in the Gaia Green product’s

Gaga Green 284 Indgredents:
Fishbone Meal
Bone Meal
Glacial Rock Dust
Mined Potassium Sulphate
Fossilized Carbon Complex
Rock Phosphate
Green Sand
Kelp Meal
Gypsum
Bat Guano

Gaga Green 444 Indgredents:
Alfalfa Meal
Bone Meal
Blood Meal
Glacial Rock Dust
Mined Potassium Sulphate
Fossilized Carbon Complex
Rock Phosphate
Green Sand
Kelp Meal
Gypsum

Does this sound like a viable plan?

3 Likes

I truly believe the single one items that won’t fail you is using worms in your pots they are so beneficial on so many levels! Always working 24/7 perfect balance of nutrients and minerals bare bones minim get a five gallon fabric pot and 1/4 lb of worms hell you don’t even need that much to start! Split a 1lb with 4 friends who like to grow in general. You will never run out and their hardy as hell ! Kelp, and a good all around dry amendment bonus if it’s inoculated with bacteria and fungi such as DTE biolive look for others if not available in your area.

9 Likes

Can’t get any more OG-Info than that!!! BTW, there’s an Outfit right here in Maine that collects Kelp, processes it and ships it in 1 Gallon Jugs, you THEN mix it with water and apply. I’ll run through my Growing Notes and post it here, if @CADMAN doesn’t mind. They also have seeds to sell, seeds that have acclimated to the short Maine Season. They’re stone, cold, off-the-grid operations, ONLY accept Cash, NO walk-in business, but supply Grow Ops in Colorado with THOUSANDS of Gallon of the Kelp Juice!!! I emailed and got a timely response. ALL, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

BOTH are worthy products, but somewhat unavailable here in the States. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Was just checking out this place https://blackswallowsoil.com/

2 Likes

Post away brother. Information is highly valued.

3 Likes

Had to ask, no “Hijacker” here!!! SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Great product there but BAS has way better pricing !

In Canada?

1 Like

Build a soil here on the western slope of CO www.buildasoil.com I think the ship everywhere IIRCC

about ready to pull the trigger on some coconut powder actually.

2 Likes

In my organics I am pumping the gaia green. I will also put my bubble waste as mulch on the top of the soil. My favorite go-to for blooming plants is alfalfa meal. I don’t think I’ve changed out the greenhouse soil in a decade.

5 Likes

When your done a run with your soil. Do you amend with anything? Besides using Gaia green nutrients?

1 Like

Is that a DTE type product then?

1 Like

Gypsum ftw

2 Likes