Noob Diary(Blue Dream Autos...maybe?)

my biggest limitation is height. My tent is only 60" tall, with the lights all the way up I still lose another 5-6" of clearance. So a shorter, bushy plant is preferred

2 Likes

In that case, I would top and then let the branches grow. When they are like 6-8" long you can super crop them out and they will grow branches vertically off the new horizontal support. Care though you will run out of ground space quickly enough. And it wastes a bunch of veg time to get more, smaller buds = more trimming for what feels like the same ish payout. I’d let them grow until you think you have a problem. Can always super crop whenever.

Looking good dude! I grew out strawberry diesel last grow it’s some good stuff! Keep up the good work they’re looking good! Don’t over analyze it too much, the plants tell you what they need. Don’t forget to talk to them :smiley:

2 Likes

6/3/2022: Nothing of note to mention. things still going well. I did try fimming the two photos, not sure if I took enough off though. I’ll see what it looks like in a couple days.

2 Likes

6/9/2022: FUCK…I was doing some more LST to my auto, had the main branch bent and was attaching the wire and I slipped and snap…top cola gone. I didn’t grab a picture, just put her back in the tent and turned the lights down low to give her recovery time but I’m gutted. I know it probably won’t kill the plant, but I should be going into pre-flowering within the next week or so. This sucks…

3 Likes

It happens, shake it off.

I did that to a number of plants before I switched from LST bending to super cropping. Same idea you just kink the branch horizontally instead and secure it down long enough to harden like that.

3 Likes

Any progress pic’s, how’s she recovering?

1 Like

she’s doing fine now, waiting on my new phone because my camera went out on my old one then I’ll get pics. Wednesday is week 7 and still not in flowering though. Not sure how much longer it will be but about to switch the lights for the photos soon as all the plants are getting tall and I only have so much ceiling to work with.

2 Likes

You might have been surprised if you had lined up the fibers as best you could, and taped it back on. I broke one on a Red Cherry Berry / Conspiracy Kush down to where only a few fibers held it together. A little aloe, lining up the fibers and pushing them tight as possible together, taped it up and it grew a knot at the break and went on growing.
I mean it was just dangling from the plant. lol
BTW
I’m tuning in for your show. :slight_smile:

7/10/2022: Been a while since I updated this. Changed my light cycle about 10 days ago. The autoflower is still not flowering, not sure if if is because of the trauma when the main cola broke off, but it’s otherwise healthy looking. After doing some reading some people said you could still try to trick an auto flower into flowering by changing the light cycle so I did. Now my photos are starting to flower and the auto is still stunted, so not sure what I’m going to do here. I don’t have a second dry spot, they’re going to hang in this tent so hopefully the auto catches up soon.

I took them out today to give them all a quick defoliation as well. Probably not wise considering the auto is already having some issues but needed to get the bottoms trimmed up to make watering easier.

1 Like

7/24/22: So I think I’m going to have to kill the autoflower. It still not flowering and the two photos are well on their way. I don’t see any scenario where it catches up and they all can be harvested at the same time, and at this point is just taking up space, light, and nutrients during feeding. Bummed about it, but the bright side is the two photos are looking wonderful.

In the first pic, in the lower right you can see a bit of the auto. I stopped taking it’s picture since it’s such a disappointment.

8/1/2022: Made some difficult decisions today. I chopped the Blue Dream Auto down. It was just now starting to show signs of preflowering while the two photos are on a downhill train ride to harvest. One day I’ll circle back around to a Blue Dream grow. The photos, as mentioned, are doing great. Went away for the weekend and was worried about them needing watered. I overwatered a bit and filled the drip trays and they did just fine. Here’s a pic of the tent now that they are the only two standing. Need to make a few selective cuts to the branches below the canopy still.

1 Like

8/10/2022: getting close to harvest time!

And here are some images from the USB microscope.

1 Like

8/23/2022: Harvest day!

1 Like

real nervous about this part. I don’t want to fuck up the drying/curing and throw away almost 4mo of work. I don’t have the means to keep the tent at 65f, it’s sitting around 69 currently. I put a bucket of water with an airstone inside the tent near a fan to try to keep the humidity around 65%. Fingers crossed.

8/29/2022: almost a week since they started drying. After a couple days of struggling to maintain temp and humidity I got it down I think. Temp has been around 65f and humidity has been between 60-65 consistently. No signs of bud rot yet, stems still bend not snap. Trying for 14 days then dry trimming and into grove bags they go. Pics from a few minutes ago.

1 Like

9/6/2022: outside of a smoke report in a few weeks this is the last update of this journal. Dried for 14 days. Managed to keep the temp around 67f and the humidity between 60-65%. Pictured below is what went the full term for drying, another 2oz went in the freezer after 5 days hanging. I also have around 3oz of trim and buds that didn’t have enough to them to be worth spending time on. There were a lot of little buds and branches I didn’t prune that I should have. Planning a post with things I learned and what I’d do differently.

1 Like

Post Grow Notes

Things mostly went smooth. No pests, no ph issues or nutrient deficiencies, mold, rot, etc. road bumps at the beginning with seeds not popping tails, then again at the midway point with the auto not flipping. Had the auto flowered I’d probably have gotten close to my 1lb goal. When I had to kill her she was bigger than the other two plants.

Given the limited space in my tent, I don’t think growing more than 2 plants at a time is a good idea. Just watering when I had 3 of them was a chore I didn’t want to do. And as the foliage got more dense it just got more difficult.

The nutrients I used, House + Garden, were good. I also started using recharge and black strap molasses a few weeks in. I will likely find different nutes for the next grow. Running low on a few of the bottles. Still researching.

If I was buying all over again, I’d go with the 6” version of the AC Infinity fan. The 4” is fine but it struggled to keep the temp down on the hot days. Saw temps reach near 90f some days. Saw a tip to point a box fan at the tent, will try that next time. The Exhale bag was clutch for helping them deal with the high temps. Saw no signs of heat stress. I can’t afford to run a standalone AC unit, my electric bill was already too high or I’d do that.

Trimming sucks. I only did a light wet trim then dry trimmed it today. Took almost all day. Hated it. I noticed some of the buds felt near crunchy dry. Not sure if they over dried or not. Everything is in a grovebag now, so hopefully they rehydrate a bit from moisture evening out.

I need a better water system. The rain catcher was great, but if I grow over winter that’s not going to be an option as it will freeze. Not really wanting an RO system, but I may not have a choice. The amount of waste water is a problem for me. I will likely have to use tap water and just go through all the headaches of dechlorinating and ph balancing it. Fingers crossed for a mild, rainy winter. Also considering setting up an auto feed/water system. I have some ideas for a DIY one.

That’s all for tonight. About to pass out.

2 Likes

Finally cracked into the grove bag this harvest has been curing in. Man…This is fantastic. I’ve smoked a lot of dispensary flower, and maybe it’s because I grew it myself so there’s some placebo effect to it, but this is among the best I’ve ever smoked. Thanks to everyone who followed along and gave advice along the way.

I ended up harvesting about 7.5oz of smokeable and just over 2oz of trim, had a lot of little buds I should have culled earlier in the process that I just tossed in with the trim so that might be why there’s an inflated weight to it. Not bad for two plants in a small tent, I think.

I can also give a recommendation to grove bags. It was really a set it and forget it method of curing. I never burped them, didn’t add humidity packs, just sealed them up, tossed them in a closet, and checked through the viewing window every few days to make sure no mold was developing. And the freezer cured bud is great too. It smoke a little smoother than the bag cured does. When I first pulled the box from the freezer there was no smell, I let the box sit at room temp for 24hrs before transferring over to a grove bag, but after 2 days it smelled like a skunk! So if you haven’t tried that method before, give it a shot.

2 Likes

I love the bags as well msm187. If you wouldn’t mind dropping a post about how it went for you on the Grove Bag thread I’d appreciate it. Thanks.
Grove Bags.... Has anyone tried them on a cure?