Northern Lights 5 preservation run

Made with colchicine seeds shouldn’t be used till next generation

9 Likes

I think I will get into this race if possible. Great preservation work and great work. I am not very clear to whom to send the message with my address. I am in Spain. Peace to everyone

4 Likes

You would send @Gaz29 a private message with your details for the EU:

8 Likes

Update, group b only had 3 survivors, I messed up some where so that’s what I have to work with is a total of 11 plants so far.

9 Likes

Nice looking plants ub. I’m new here but I did add my name to the list (and probably in the wrong place), but if I’m not eligible to receive beans yet that’s cool I understand, I’ll work my way up and earn respect like everyone else.
I’ve got 7 seedlings started that are supposed to be NL5’s (from an older buddy). They are very Indica looking, 7 of 8 popped and are around 2 weeks old. I’ll try to get a journal on them started tomorrow.

12 Likes

hello @Opie welcome to OG,
I believe that here you will find all the information you need:

8 Likes

Up potting done… I definatley have 2 polys in the group so this is turning into a trial as well. Other than that the group is healthy and thriving.

27 Likes

UBC

That’s got to be in the genes…Don’t you think?
:face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

7 of the NL5’s I have started, the smallest plant (bottom,far left) isn’t a NL.

16 Likes

spit sunflower seeds all over my screen!
very good, very good.

regards,

2 Likes

I think anything can become a fixed trait.
Found an article that’s relevant https://medium.com/plant-cell-extracts/up-sizing-the-tale-of-the-polyploid-giants-508f9f7db

4 Likes

Thx Digs
Great article!

Many have seen Poly gals…Has anyone ever come across a Poly male.?

I get the impression with Cannabis, being dioecious, will be next to impossible to stabilize with its tendency to Hermie…Especially since the poly trait itself seems to be the result of environmental stressors…

It would be an interesting project to undertake at some point…Unfortunately, that colchicine can be quite toxic to work with from everything
I’ve read…

5 Likes

I have no interest in genetic modification using chemicals and in fact I swing in the opposite direction. I do want to grow them out but I would not try breeding with them. If polys were a “thing”, Dutch passion would have had something dialed in by now.

10 Likes

UBC

I totally respect that! Good on you…

Where can we draw the line?

I guess my question/confusion…Is colchicine
a chemical, hormone, natural bio compound…
In this day and age there is so much gray area and confusion.

Asditionally, Think of UV light and its impact on resin and cannabinoid production?..a benefit; with the plant increasing resin production to protect itself…but its radiation.
The question (gray area) then morphs into possible concern of this “radiation” and influence…Just tough for me to determine the line and direction as to natural, chemical, radiation.

Or how about the influence of heavy metals to create fem’s (STS, CS)

an interesting discussion none the less…

Example…My cousin raves about BC strawberries…even waits for them in anticipation come springtime…yet Diggy’s article shows us what they are comprised of…Polyhybrids

Cheers
Toast

Colchicine

Medication
Colchicine is a medication used to treat gout and Behçet’s disease. In gout, it is less preferred to NSAIDs or steroids. Other uses include the prevention of pericarditis and familial Mediterranean fever. It is taken by mouth. Common side effects include gastrointestinal upset, particularly at high doses. Wikipedia

Formula: C22H25NO6

Molar mass: 399.437 g/mol

CAS ID: 64-86-8

Elimination half-life: 26.6-31.2 hours

Metabolism: Metabolism, partly by [CYP3A4](

3 Likes

Colchicine is a natural chemical derived from the bean tree.

2 Likes

Hey O.R.

Thanks for chiming in…

I found that Colchicine came from natural sources…so I was less inclined to be concerned with using it to create polyploids…
For obvious reasons, some are concerned with using chemicals modify cannabis genetics…

Should colchicine be a concern?

Any Thoughts?

2 Likes

I agree completely and dont even get me started on Avid…I’ve witnessed it used as a murder weapon! If things are in balance large amount of chemicals are not needed…IMHO of course!

What are the costs long term? The money is nice but at what cost?

3 Likes

I hear ya bandit…

I’m just wonder about its use with the intention of creating some Cannabis plants with stacked genes for one generation…
Once you have the ball rolling…Potentially taking cuttings (or long shot…or seeds)

2 Likes

Not sure if long term effects of abusing this chemical.
I’ve also seen it produce lots of mutants.
Haven’t messed with it since the late 70’s we dropped it after running into some forefront breeders of old.
Having to wear rubber gloves aint my thing, it is a poison.

I’m not a big advocate of changing cell structure, love ole manature.

14 Likes

Just a few update pics. Healthy and happy. The last pic is a polyploid. I am very impressed with the structure and consistency. If you look at the pic carefully you will see the third branch at each node I will try to get some better pics later.
Cheers

26 Likes