Notifications are not working properly?

Ive been having occasional odd things happening with notifications over the last few days. Its mostly things not showing up that should be there. This is happening in emails, and on the drop down list when I click on my user icon in the top right corner of the screen.

Sometimes there is a notice in the drop down list or an email, but when I click on the link, there is nothing in the thread when I get there. Other times, there is no notification at all, but there may be several replies in different threads.

Here is the most recent thing. Im watching the thread “Electrical Issues”, and there are 15 replies, but I have no email notice and nothing in the drop down list under my icon.

Other times, the exact opposit occurs. I get a notice in an email, or on the drop down list, but there is no matching reply in the thread.

Is this something on my end or?

Ok, the example above may have been self inflicted. I think I may have changed the notification setting on that particular thread. I dont remember doing that, but sometimes Im stoned and shit happens :slight_smile:

The other issues are different though and still need an explanation.

3 Likes

Nobody has reported any issues. Try to look again - I’m sure there is simple explanation similar to previous one. Re-check notification settings for particular topics.

For me to investigate I need to know which topic or need to have that email resend to admin@overgrow.com.

Also check out your preferences in profile.

Also please mind how different notifications settings work. There is difference between Watched topic and Tracked topic. Watched topics send notifications and also show post count next to the title. Tracked topics only show post count (and you’ll be pinged/notified only when someone mentions your name).

See more here:

4 Likes

Ok, its probably me not paying attention then or clicking on stuff when stoned :slight_smile:

I will take better notes if it happens again.

Thanks!

1 Like

I have been getting notifications less often myself, a slower rate than previously at least. The same thought crossed my mind, but I just attributed it to me being a little less active lately.

2 Likes

The last several days, I have been getting fewer and fewer email notices of replies to threads I know I should be getting emails for. I have received zero since sometime on 23 Oct.

Turns out, the relevant setting in Preferences was turned OFF.

I am 100% sure I did NOT turn it off. I have not looked at my Preferences since I started this thread - more than a month ago - when I made sure it was ON.

2 Likes

Your notifications have been turned off last week because there were numerous mail delivery error reports from your host and notifications just bounced back with this message:

<xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>: host xx.xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx[xxx.xxx.xxx.65] said: 554
    5.7.1 [P4] Message blocked due to spam content in the message. (in reply to
    end of DATA command)

There was something in the message that triggered anti-spam on your host. Maybe images included in the message, maybe links.

Try to whitelist sender admin@overgrow.com on your host.

1 Like

Same bounce report just came from your mail provider two minutes ago (so the problem was not temporary). Whitelist our sending email address or consult your provider.

Ah! I will do that and see if it helps.

Thanks!!

1 Like

AAarrrggghhh!!! Tech support for Centurylink sucks!!!

After over 2 hours of trying to get help via email, and on-line and on my phone, Im down to emailing the postmaster. They promise to get back to me in a few days. Maybe. If they feel like it.

If they are as good as the 4 tech agents Ive already emailed, talked too and chatted with, its going to be a loooooong time…

grrrrrrr

1 Like

LOL, “postmaster”. Everytime I’ve seen that == blackhole.

Could you set-up a separate gmail (ack, privacy) or third party email address, instead?

1 Like

I thought of that, but I already have too many email accounts - my primary is Centurylink, but I have 2 different Gmail and one hotmail accounts too.

I prefer to keep away from Gmail if possible. Google already knows too much about me.

I guess I could try one of my existing Gmail accounts, but I hate changing habits :smiley:

I am tired of not getting notifications, so I am going to take your advice and change my email address for OG. Hopefully it will be temporary and wont cause @LemonadeJoe and trouble if I switch back and forth.

grumblegrumblefussandfumble…

Edit: Ok, I changed my email and Im getting notices again!

2 Likes