Notill organics

ORGANICMATTERPettit.pdf (119.7 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks have that one bookmarked!

1 Like

Anyone done no till in 2 gallon air pots?? Iā€™m aware this is not even close to ideal however it is all I have to work with currently due to lack of fundsā€¦ Iā€™ve begun flowering and to this point they have worked ok. My five gallon smart pots plants are twice as bigā€¦ Same set up, amended, cooked, first cycle soil, clover and oat cover/mulch, canna mulch, except that the 2 gallons must be watered every nightā€¦ I understand the differences that will occur due to pot size, yield etc. what I need to know is how to top dress this small of a pot or if I should focus on feeding the small humus layer with botanical teas instead? I have had the soil of these 2 gal dry out completely which killed my soil life and released the stores nitrogen thereby burning the plantsā€¦ Another thing is the roots are growing into each otherā€™s potsā€¦ I canā€™t decide if this is a good or bad thingā€¦ Any suggestions/tips? Thanks

1 Like

Air pots suck. Straight suck. Tall slim expensive plastic with holes in it. The number one cause of loses in the gardening industry is knockovers. These pots are GREAT for knockovers.

Now that i let you know how shitty they are i must say that yes. They work. Notill in a two gal is possible forsure. Good for keeping moms. But the drying out so fast is a problem. Maybe switch to regular plastic pots?

Iā€™m sorry I donā€™t know why the hell I wrote air pots, too early I guess, I use smart potsā€¦ Was meaning to comment on air pruning that takes place in theseā€¦

I love my smart pots, its almost impossible to over water with them. I keep my bonsai mothers in them and donā€™t have to bother with root pruning.

The air pruning is whatā€™s up. It has saved me before from root bindā€¦ Donā€™t think itā€™s possible to have root bound plants in smart pots. The bonsai mommas in 2 gal is a great idea. Iā€™m pulling some tasty phenos soon to act as mothers and I happen to have some 2 gal smart pots. Im not very familiar with the art of bonsai. I understand the basics but Iā€™m sure there is more to itā€¦ Will they only grow to a certain size? Just continuing to get bushier?

2 Likes

I actually have to feed my bonsai mothers, just not enough soil to last. They get trimmed up every week or two. After about a year, I replace them with fresh clones.

They can most def become root bound in a smart pot. Ive had it happen. Happens to moms in a small pot. I love smart pots though. Thy basicly live as if they arnt in a pot. Get as big as you can for best results. With moms drying out what you can do is make a sip with the smart pots and catch trays filled with perlite or small pebbles etc. I did it in my grape lime ricky journal on here for the last bit of flower. It works great and gives them more leg room. And if you forget to water no worries roots die off and start growing in the pot again.

2 Likes

Very cool. My plants are growing into each otherā€™s pots, being that my canopy is so thick, it doesnā€™t seem to phase them. Visible white roots reaching across empty space into another pot.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if this will be a good thing or not, if one plant has any kind of soil issues probably not. But as for right now, it is as if they are creating their own raised bed connected with ā€œroot ropeā€ lol. Lotus, any idea as to whether this is good or ultimately bad?

1 Like

Id say its fine. I wanna see pics seems real cool

let me start off by saying I am a new grower and I started my first Indoor no-till grow. I used a 1 to 1 to 1 ratio of peat moss( 3 cu. ft.), aeration(1.5 cu. ft. lava rocks 1.5 cu. ft. rice hulls), compost (2 cu. ft. malibu compost 1 cu. ft. castings).
I use the Buildasoil nutrient and mineral kits and I also added about 2 gallons of Bio Char and one box of Down To Earth Bio Live. I added the bio live because I had it and I didnā€™t think it would hurt.
A friend gave me 6 Bay Dream clones, we transplanted them and watered them in.
When I have four 10 gallon pots and two 7 gallon pots(fabric type). I know they should be bigger but itā€™s what I had at the time.
I gave the 10 gallon pots 1 gallon of water and I gave the 7 gallon pots 3/4 gallon with ful-power 25ML per gallon.
I put down cover crop and I top dressed with grokashi(buildasoil) then I put down a thin layer of barley straw, enough to cover the soil but should still let cover crop grow through.

4 Likes

looks like youve been following bluejay :wink:

1 Like

Actually I have been following Clackamas coot, Brownguy420 and a few others. It was actually Subcool that pointed me in the direction of OverGrow.com and Iā€™m glad he did.

2 Likes

Can you recommend or purvey some good info on the idea and transition from soil with chemical additives? Iā€™ve been using Advanced Nutrients with 707 soil. Is there a ā€œrecipeā€ for No till soil to start? I understand the benefit of clover etc as a cover crop, and leaving old roots in the soil, but is buying all of the initial ingredients expensive? Thanks in advance for your help my brother.i must add that Iā€™m in 4X4 tents so can you speak to container size as it relates to no till?

1 Like

You can start here:

2 Likes

I suggest starting to read the notill threads at grasscity. Notill and notill revisited. Tons of amazing info. There are tons of recipes but i personally think less is more. Clackamas coots recipe is the basic one i follow with some things i added to it.

Buying it all is not expensive. To amend one cu ft of compost it takes 1 cup of kelp, 1 cup of neem, 1 cup of malted barley, 1 cup of crab shell, and 1/2 cup of gypsum! That should cost you about 5 bucks. But since you most likely have to buy bigger bags or boxes youll pay more.
Personally i paid around 300 because i live in canada and shipping was mentalā€¦

50lbs of kelp is about 60 bucks. Thatll last you a few years. An lb of malted barley is around 1 dollar. Neem from neem resource is 10 bucks for 5 lbs. Garden gypsum in a 20kg bag costed me 30 bucks. Crab meal from down to earth was like 15 for the box. Thats about 116 bucks. Say around the cost of one cycle running unadvanced nutrients. Not to mention with that 116 you can amend tons of soil. I havnt bought anything except malted barley in 2 years and i still have a shit ton of everything.

3 Likes

Yea lots cheaper than buying a quart bottle for 15$ thatā€™s mostly water to begin with and a splash of molasses!

2 Likes